Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Switching out of Marco Polo: what do you choose and why?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Switching out of Marco Polo: what do you choose and why?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2017, 12:23 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by CX30616
I have considered BA before, but BA requires me to have 4 BA sectors to qualify, which I couldn't have as the only two routes I have is LHR-SIN of SIN-SYD.
In contrast with QF you can look at 3K

However, the disadvantage to choose QF is that QF miles are mostly useless (or I didn't find a right way use it?) and they expired quickly, but with OWE and my credit card rewards me 1 AM with 0.9 cny spend overseas, that's not big deal.
Burn QF points on CX?
Old Nov 3, 2017, 4:11 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sxc
Given it's only been about 18 months since the changes have been in place, the full effect of the changes is only being noticed now by the "non-proactive"...so the tsunami is only beginning for CX.
i know personally know 4 people that have switched FFP and 2 of them simply avoided CX for work. now: happy company (some savings) and happy staff (can achieve OWS). I somehow managed some goodies along the way!
Old Nov 3, 2017, 10:01 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
Originally Posted by kaka
i know personally know 4 people that have switched FFP and 2 of them simply avoided CX for work. now: happy company (some savings) and happy staff (can achieve OWS). I somehow managed some goodies along the way!
I'm extremely happy being a "free agent" now, and I'm wondering with airlines watering down their FFP benefits, there will be less and less loyalty for premium flyers like us.

Seriously, all the benefit I don't get with my C ticket has been cut. As another poster reminded me - why bother even having Cathay GO if a Cathay C class ticket gets me the same thing? The ONLY thing I will missed without the DM is First Class check-in and lounge access. That is a very small price to pay compare to the tens-of-thousands USD I save and getting better points/redemption with other airlines.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by percysmith
In contrast with QF you can look at 3K

Burn QF points on CX?
Yes I decided to do a short 4 segment MR in 3K during my Japan trip.

I based on SEA and I think I only have CX or MH to use my points...
Old Nov 4, 2017, 3:35 am

I pay for my ticket as they are for my personal travel or going back to my hometown.

I based in SIN and my hometown is FOC.

I traveled at least 5 times FOC-HKG-SIN in I fare, they cost me around 34k cny (~around 5100 usd), and also some regional flight like SIN-BKK in CX, SIN-KUL in MH, and HKG-TYO in CX or JL.

Also, I buy a lot of BA miles for ex-SIN J flight, they are quite cheap IMHO.

I am a CX SL currently, and I got 500 CP last year (I started from GR so I have only 200 now), and someday when I read a thread in FT and I realized QF can give me way more than MPC.

With QF, I can got 1200 SC straight for my FOC-HKG-SIN, and with some more regional flight and 4 sectors 3K qualification flight, I would achieve QF Plat, or OWE way more faster than MPC, and I like the CX F lounge.

I will most likely still choose CX to fly as in this route no other carrier can compete with CX in terms of schedule and aircraft type, MI 738 is not really comfortable and I always want a flat bed to rest.

I have considered BA before, but BA requires me to have 4 BA sectors to qualify, which I couldn't have as the only two routes I have is LHR-SIN of SIN-SYD.

However, the disadvantage to choose QF is that QF miles are mostly useless (or I didn't find a right way use it?) and they expired quickly, but with OWE and my credit card rewards me 1 AM with 0.9 cny spend overseas, that's not big deal.
You do not need to do 4 sectors on BA to qualify.You need 4 sectors,either BA,IB or a BA codeshare on other oneworld airline.It is not necessary to set foot on a BA aircraft.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 11:32 am

Programs: Thai, Cathay, Lufthansa, Delta, SPG, Hilton, IH, LHW
Have been from GO to DM for years...and been Star Alliance Gold for 20 years...

Today, still Gold on Star Alliance....but now Gold with Emirates...I use my CX Amex miles on OW...and if only CX available on PEY with miles.

Didn't spend a single cent on CX paid flight since the announcement. But the side results are more interesting...my partner is now Gold Emirates, my daughter is Silver Emirates....my business partner is BA silver today...

CX wanted us out, they got it! What is interesting is to read Flyertalk 5 years ago.....90% of the posts were by people loving CX and going a long way for them. today a lot of people that used to spend 10-20k usd a year...have just left...and they are not back tomorrow...

What most impressed me is the CX launched the new MPC promising something amazing... reading around, I'm still trying to find out what does it mean today for members who stay...

We didn't want to leave, CX made it happened!
Old Nov 4, 2017, 12:23 pm

Programs: SQ,CX,LX
The changes do nothing for me as my trips are all long-haul "D" or "I" never "J" so the calculations remain exactly the same and I'll maintain Silver next year, really can't see me being anything other than Silver so may look around after I've burned this/next years miles (my trips are Europe to AKL for the next couple of years, one trip a year but maybe more if I can manage it).
Old Nov 4, 2017, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by rapidex
You do not need to do 4 sectors on BA to qualify.You need 4 sectors,either BA,IB or a BA codeshare on other oneworld airline.It is not necessary to set foot on a BA aircraft.
I knew but in order to purchase BA codeshare, you need to at least have one BA operated segment in the ticket, isn't it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.