Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

"Please shut the blinds on your way out" (rumour)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Please shut the blinds on your way out" (rumour)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2015, 8:39 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Marco Polo, Skywards, Etihad Guest, IHG, Aeroplan
I flew 4 sectors with CX/KA recently, I only heard the ISM made the announcement to close the window shades 1 out of 4 flights.

It's a weird request because the crew will ask you to open the window shades before landing then they ask you to close it again. It's doable though and personally, i think it's not a big deal. It's not like the airline will fine you or black list you if you don't comply.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 4:25 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
This was on my IFE this morning.

FAs did not ask passengers to actually lower the shades in any way.
Attached Images  
Old Jul 3, 2016, 7:35 pm

Programs: CXAM BAEC
I heard that announcement from ISM while I was travelling on CX565 last week. Apparently nobody responds.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Sohoboy
I heard that announcement from ISM while I was travelling on CX565 last week. Apparently nobody responds.
Silly. A little common courtesy never hurt anyone.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 10:51 am

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
I just don't get it,do the people on here who spend time writing lengthly posts on why they should not close the shade realise that they could have closed all the shades on the 333 quicker than writing this post?

Same goes for opening the overhead bins,why do people close them after getting their baggage? I got the habbit of opening all the bins in my aisle on my way out (I always sit at the very back) when having fun with my RJ crew friends and now do it on most of my flights if my hands are not full. Most crew get shocked and amazed when I do this.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by Rami Tamimi
Same goes for opening the overhead bins,why do people close them after getting their baggage? I got the habbit of opening all the bins in my aisle on my way out
I close my bin if there is nothing else in, as it makes it easier for people to walk through the corridor. On Airbuses particularly, open bin doors are sometimes in the way for people of even fairly moderate height walking through the aisle.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 8:32 pm

Started hearing this recently, although only on regional flights so far.

If you hear the announcement I don't see why anyone can have an issue? It's called manners.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 12:05 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Crew announced it yesterday on CX 710 on arrival in HKG. ^
Old Jul 12, 2016, 2:56 am

Was on CX254 a week or so ago and heard this as well on arrival in HKG.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 2:07 pm
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
This isn't a big deal. People who are making such a big deal about this are being drama queens. If it helps to keep the cabin cooler for the next group of passengers, why not? Karma.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 6:17 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by HarbourGent
I close my bin if there is nothing else in, as it makes it easier for people to walk through the corridor. On Airbuses particularly, open bin doors are sometimes in the way for people of even fairly moderate height walking through the aisle.
you're actually giving the crew more work because they'd have to open them up to do their checks before leaving the aircraft.

Last edited by FlyPointyEnd; Jul 12, 2016 at 6:26 pm
Old Jul 12, 2016, 6:31 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by phol
Started hearing this recently, although only on regional flights so far.

If you hear the announcement I don't see why anyone can have an issue? It's called manners.
It could be a special announcement once weather in HK starts to hit the 30s...and maybe the reason why you don't hear it on long haul flights is it arrives in HK early in the morning or last afternoons to evening when the weather is not as hot.

Closing 1, 2 or 3 blinds won't even take 15 seconds...so I don't know that the big deal is about.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 5:26 pm

Programs: CX Green | UA Silver | Marriott Lifetime Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Gold | AA EXP
When I saw this, I remembered this thread from several years ago and I was like ... oh I so have to snap this (+ actual window for supporting evidence).

I guess CX couldn't be bothered with programming it to appear only during daylight. This was CX797 last month - it landed at CGK around 11pm and departed as CX796 right after midnight or so. Window on the screen was much brighter than actual window ...

Last edited by Rivarix; Feb 23, 2020 at 5:34 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.