Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

"Please shut the blinds on your way out" (rumour)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Please shut the blinds on your way out" (rumour)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2015, 2:20 pm

Airlines can always ask pax to do something for them, but don't make it out to be an order or something the pax owed the company. I'm sure most if not all people would do it, nothing big deal.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Nothing new on this side of the Pacific, though stressed during the summer and at hot climate cities especially to keep the cabin from heating up too much when systems are shut down. My only complaint is that many people don't open them prior to take off, or landing (after overnight flights, not exactly related to this specific topic). I like to have a visual sense of the scene for the first and last few minutes of a flight.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Often1
People overthink these things and get riled up over less than nothing. This is common sense and good for all.
+1.

Originally Posted by Often1
Shades up for landing in case of emergency. Being able to see what's outside helps to orient people in an emergency and may also stop them from using a particular exit.
Also allows emergency workers to see inside, of course, in the event of an accident, which can help in several ways.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 12:11 am

Programs: SPG Gold, CX MPC Gold, Hilton Hhonors Gold
Think about the proportion of passengers in the window seats against the other seats. Maybe they can consider putting the request to the TV screens in the window seats only so that the number of announcements made are not increased. (And also so that they can continue to make special announcements when some passengers start getting up to retrieve their bags in the overhead lockers when the plane is still taxiing).

If they continue to add more announcements, it will only be a matter of time before passengers start to ignore them all.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 1:51 am

Originally Posted by Rivarix
It's interesting that if one looks at the responses so far, generally speaking you see one response from those who indicate their location as US vs. those who indicate their location as Asia.

It's about expectation. It's no different than going to McD - in the US people remove the trash while in asia people leave them on the table. Is one right and one wrong? No - different country works differently and just because they do it in US it doesn't mean that somehow the rest of the world should follow (regardless whether it is right or wrong).

FAs are usually the last ones to disembark - as mentioned above they can easily do it on their way out. On the other hand passengers can do it too when they disembark. So who should do it? It all comes down to expectation - if US-based airlines request passengers to do it, do you expect CX as an Asian-based airline to do the same?

Whether one thinks it is right or wrong, chore or not, big deal or not, request or not, I think we can all agree it is another example of CX passing along the responsibility from itself/its airline crew to passenger which people in the US are very accustomed to. An example of americanization of cathay pacific I'd say.

Don't bite my head off please (if you disagree).
Best, most sensible & spot on reply. Thank you ^
Old Aug 30, 2015, 7:20 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11A501 Safari/9537.53)

Well, aside from our comments, i think if most ppl enter a cool cabin w blinds shut, they might slowly adjust to shutting them in a year or 2. Its just a matter of courtesy vs selfishness/"individual egoistic rights".

Totally ot, i had an argument with another tesla driver today cuz some egoistic person parked a fully charged tesla at a supercharger and blocking off the opportunity of a few others (inc me) to charge.
Ps(http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/tesla-sends-supercharging-station-abuse-letter/) we are supposed to vacate the stall when fully charged, but some just spend time there as a parking spot and only come back after their chores.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 2:30 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Reported on CX Secrets also https://www.facebook.com/cxsecret/posts/893494547395453 - not favourably
Old Aug 31, 2015, 6:38 am

Programs: OW Emerald
Don't be so silly. This is what cleaners and cabin crew are paid for.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by sxc
I find this request unusual just because I've never been on a flight where such a request has been made. I probably haven't flown in the USA enough.
Yes, it's common enough on AA flights flying through the DFW hub in summer, as has been reported. Interestingly, I fly AA to and from SJU fairly regularly, and have not heard the same request, so it's not like it's a universal thing when flying to hot places.

In any event, you're right that it is probably cultural, at least insofar as I have never given it a second thought when I have heard it. Just pulled down the shade as I was gathering my things.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 7:12 am

Programs: Cathay MPC, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Domestic Airline Nobody
Only on FT could their be several dozen comments on such a simple request! :-o
Old Aug 31, 2015, 7:55 am

Programs: CX MarcoPolo (SL), BA Executive Club (GO)
Originally Posted by sebastiansw3
Don't be so silly. This is what cleaners and cabin crew are paid for.
I think the cleaners should do it for long-haul turnarounds. They are on pretty quickly and they can do it when the clean each row. On short turn arounds it doesn't matter.

sebastianw3 don't you agree it would be strange to exit the plane with all the blinds down, since just moments ago during landing they were all open and there was natural light streaming through?
Old Aug 31, 2015, 10:42 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Originally Posted by SJOGuy
No one is ordering anybody to close the shades. It's a request. Nothing more. Why not cooperate? Is it really such a chore? I don't see the need to make a big deal out of this.

At DFW this time of year, you board a plane and the shades will likely be closed. They'll often announce a request that you keep them closed until the engines and a/c get going. No one will do anything to you if you open your shade and want to look out, but, again, why not cooperate and help in some little way?
Nice to see at least a couple of reasonable people responding on this thread... unbelievable to me that anyone would take issue with simply being asked to close the window shade as they exit so that temperature inside the aircraft doesn't skyrocket while it's sitting on the ground in 100+ temps (115+ in places like PHX and LAS during summer months!). Because everyone knows that it's a terrible imposition to be asked to do something so awful and difficult as you exit the plane...
Old Aug 31, 2015, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
I guess I'll add to the US voice that this isn't that big of a deal. Many of the US airlines make this request in the summer months to keep the plane from becoming stifling hot. Yes, FAs and cleaning crew could do it, but that's still additional time of the sun heating up when it literally takes 5 seconds for a window passenger to just pull the shade down.

And, it's just a request. I've been on at least a couple flights where the window pax next to me wanted to see out for whatever reason (claustrophobic, adjusting to time change, etc.) and left their shade up. Most of the time the FA doesn't say anything. The one time I had an FA ask my seatmate during boarding, she said she was a nervous flyer and it helped to look out - FA just smiled and carried along her way.

I have never seen any pax be forced to lower a windowshade if they did not want to.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 11:38 am

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List(Gold for life), CX Diamond
In my experience, same request is made at JAL's domestic flights.

http://www.jal.com/en/ir/finance/pdf/line/091113.pdf
See page.3

http://www.jal.com/ja/environment/ecoresult.html
(In Japanese)
Old Aug 31, 2015, 3:45 pm

Programs: EK plat, ex-FB gold, Accor plat
Good initiative indeed for ecology for which I am totally supportive (though it's just one dirham out of 7 billion).

This said, you cannot prevent some DYKWIA to think the following :

> I have paid to be transported in my personal suite, nothing else. Where's my DomPerignon ?

> I'll be stealing the cleaning team's job and they'll finish unemployed.

> This is again one additional cost cutting measure that shareholders will benefit from, and will not impact airfare.

> Another stupid order from the airline industry. After getting almost naked at security, after being banned to bring my own cocktail on board, after being prevented to play on my IPad during TO & landing, ... after being prohibited from smoking ... what now ? Ah yes, pax are invited to go to the bathroom before boarding to save fuel (NH abandoned the idea very quickly).

Yeah, you can chop off my head. You'll find me in the shower at the front of the plane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.