Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pay For Upgrade on Separate Receipt

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2014, 10:16 pm
Original Poster

Pay For Upgrade on Separate Receipt

Planning to travel intra-Asia on CX. Employer will pay for economy ticket only.

Can I purchase an economy ticket with a receipt to submit to employer, and then immediately pay the fare difference to upgrade it to business on a separate receipt?

Or, can I purchase the economy ticket, immediately cancel it without penalty and then buy a business ticket?
Old Jul 25, 2014, 12:19 am

Programs: CX Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Depending on your internal corporate policies and whether or not you want your employer to know what class you fly in, may I suggest that you buy a business ticket and obtain a quote for an economy class ticket for the same flight/date (a screenshot may suffice). Your employer may then reimburse you for the costs of the economy ticket whilst you would pay out of your own pocket for the difference.

I have no input for your other two questions.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 12:22 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by HanBkk
Can I purchase an economy ticket with a receipt to submit to employer, and then immediately pay the fare difference to upgrade it to business on a separate receipt?
Sure. If you're travelling on one of the Enhance routes (Cebu, New York (Newark), London, Moscow, Paris, Perth, Seoul, Surabaya and Toronto), and your ticket is purchased (by your employer) on CX.com, a CX call centre or MPO hotline.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...periences.html
http://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_H...e/enhance.html

Or, can I purchase the economy ticket, immediately cancel it without penalty and then buy a business ticket?
Sure. If your employer doesn't need to see a boarding pass (mine does).
Old Jul 25, 2014, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP

That will depend on where your ticket is purchased and how. If its usually done through a corporate travel agency, then you have to liase with that agency to do what you want. If its done as a full Y ticket, then it shouldn't be any problem. If there are J tickets cheaper than a full Y ticket, then that's something you must check and reason with your employer.

If your company allows you to do your ticket yourself, then yes you can do the above. It may be best for you to find a local travel agent to do the above. Submit an invoice for economy when you pay the difference for J.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 10:14 am

Programs: CX DM
you might also want to check whether you need to submit your travel expense report with the boarding passes
If you dont want your work to know about it then you need to somehow work it out but i guess you can always say you got op-up?
Old Jul 26, 2014, 7:49 am
Original Poster

I went to the local CX office to purhase the ticket and they were able to issue 2 receipts - one for the economy fare, and a separate receipt for the upgrade
Old Jul 26, 2014, 9:54 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_1_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11D257 Safari/9537.53)

I went to the local CX office to purhase the ticket and they were able to issue 2 receipts - one for the economy fare, and a separate receipt for the upgrade
What kind of upgrade can be purchased in a cx office?
Old Jul 26, 2014, 11:09 am

Programs: AA - EXP, OneWorld - Emerald, HH - Diamond

I have done it many times for economy (H) to PE over the phone in the U.S.. Previously, I would call in to book an economy ticket and wait for the receipt to be issued (it usually takes 2 to 3 days). Then I call them back to change it to PE and pay the USD$50 penalty + the fare difference. However, I told the agent about my company policies and my intention during my most recent booking (last week) in "H" face ticket. The agent was kind enough to issue me an economy booking receipt and cancel it immediately, then change my ticket to PE without charge me the penalty.^ So it is doable.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 10:46 am

Programs: CX Diamond, AA CK (quit 2018), Starwood Platinum, National EXC Elite
Are any fare buckets (class) exempted from the ability to "up-fare" ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.