Wiki Posts
Search

Do CX check credit card?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2016, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Platinum
Question Do CX check credit card?

Do CX check credit card in the following circumstances if the cardholder is not travelling with the passenger?
1. For the taxes paid on award ticket issued by a partner airline
2. Tickets purchased via an online travel agency (cheaptickets, orbitz, expedia etc)
3. Tickets purchased directly at Cathay's official website
Old Mar 29, 2016, 4:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by hightide
Do CX check credit card in the following circumstances if the cardholder is not travelling with the passenger?
2. Tickets purchased via an online travel agency (cheaptickets, orbitz, expedia etc)
By my experience no, no, no.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 6:02 pm

Programs: QF Platinum, Former CX Diamond, TG Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Amex Platinum
In my experience, check in agents will always ask to see the credit card that was used to purchase tickets on cx.com.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by frankyguy
In my experience, check in agents will always ask to see the credit card that was used to purchase tickets on cx.com.
Never had that happen yet for me.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 6:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Originally Posted by hightide
I think for (3)

i. if you have used verified by visa / master securecode, no
ii. for any other case, yes
Old Mar 29, 2016, 6:40 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
For #3, they also don't ask DMs for the card verification (my purchases are usually with an Amex that doesn't have the secondary password check) - most of the time at least.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 6:53 pm

Programs: QF Plat (Life Gold)
Originally Posted by frankyguy
They certainly used to, but more recently they have started to use other methods of verification; late last year when I purchased a ticket on cx.com using my Amex card, they texted a verification code to my cellphone which I had to enter to complete the booking. I was not subsequently asked to produce the card.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 8:20 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Marco Polo, Skywards, Etihad Guest, IHG, Aeroplan
i've always been asked to produce not only my credit cards but also my Asia Miles / MPC card. but i guess this is the procedure in Shanghai/mainland China only?

once I had a big argument with the check-in staff because she said the name written on my credit card is different than the name written on the boarding pass so she refused to check me in. On the ticket, it's written last name and first name whereas on my credit card it's written first name and last name
Old Mar 29, 2016, 8:33 pm

Programs: CX Gold
I was once told by their GCC staff that the verification is exempted for travellers that are SL/above.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 10:19 pm

Programs: QF Platinum, Former CX Diamond, TG Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by Fly Me To The Moon
Never had that happen yet for me.
Then you are particularly lucky. I use cx.com so infrequently to book travel since it is so user unfriendly that I distinctly recall every single time I've done so. The last time was the week before last and I was asked for the credit card both outbound and inbound.

Perhaps you use it so frequently that your credentials have been cleared?
Old Mar 30, 2016, 2:40 am

Originally Posted by rienhart87
once I had a big argument with the check-in staff because she said the name written on my credit card is different than the name written on the boarding pass so she refused to check me in. On the ticket, it's written last name and first name whereas on my credit card it's written first name and last name
Ignorant power hungry agent gone rogue...
Old Mar 30, 2016, 2:51 am

Programs: CX - DM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Titanium
Originally Posted by jagmeets
For #3, they also don't ask DMs for the card verification (my purchases are usually with an Amex that doesn't have the secondary password check) - most of the time at least.
Last month when I flew out of TPE, I got stopped AT THE GATE and being asked to show my credit card by the agent who scanned my boarding pass. I only got hand luggage and had mobile boarding pass. Usually they would ask my passport to verify my identity (which they obviously should given the incident of a lady who flew with CX on a HX tix in Feb). I was stunned nonetheless I showed her. Then I asked the agent is it a new procedure in place as this is my first time ever encountering this. The supervisor standing nearby heard my question and quickly came and told the agent (who is quite new) that no need to check credit card on DM.

So to cut it short, they still check credit cards but I think black and white policy is that not on DM.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 3:06 am

Programs: CX DM, Shang Jade, Hyatt Globalist
I'm gold and have never once been asked to produce a credit card, anywhere. Or my MPC card. I book at cx.com for personal and via a travel agent for work.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 3:22 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Has this happened to anyone in Europe? This has been regarded as illegal practice.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 4:22 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
Has this happened to anyone in Europe? This has been regarded as illegal practice.
It happened to me at LHR a few years ago, but it did not happen last month; these are the only 2 times I have booked a paid ticket ex-LHR using cx.com

The first time I used Amex and had no status; the second time I used Visa (but declined VbV) and had status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.