Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CX 747-400 or A330 Biz class

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2013, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Thank you Short Hair Francis-

If you must book now, I would say do HND, 1) I hate the haul out to NRT unless you were out in Chiba already, 9:15am NRT dep means waking up early if you are in Tokyo the night prior 2) Long Haul equipment probability is higher at HND.

HND would be better for me as it will be a closer airport from Conrad Tokyo.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 10:36 pm

HND mostly operate by long haul product, unless very last minute aircraft change..
Just took 549 last few weeks, F and J class all full!
Old Dec 15, 2013, 12:17 am

Programs: QF WP
I took 549 in late Nov. 77H config and got a new J seat in the mini cabin. Great flight

Staying at the Conrad you're 20 mins in a cab to Haneda. With more chance of long haul product too, it's a no brainer over NRT
Old Dec 15, 2013, 12:30 am

Programs: CX Green | UA Silver | Marriott Lifetime Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Gold | AA EXP
OP is trying to decide between CX509 and CX543 ...

The NRT flight OP mentioned (CX509) has no Y+. Doesn't that increase the probability CX will be using 333 regional rather than long-haul (with Cirrus)?

CX543 from HND offers Y+. So if CX were to substitute B744 by Nov next year, the replacement aircraft, more likely than not, will have Y+ as well (which means either herringbone or cirrus in J).

CX509 vs. CX543 - while it is not guaranteed, seems like the HND flight (CX543) is a better bet when trying to get newer J?

Last edited by Rivarix; Dec 15, 2013 at 12:41 am
Old Dec 15, 2013, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Thank you all. Haneda it will be and also closer to Conrad Tokyo.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 11:58 pm
fMD

Hi everyone, sorry for bumping an old thread but I'm in a similar predicament. I have the option of booking a business class flight from HND to HKG in the later half of December on the 747. What are the chances the plane will be around then and if it isn't, will this flight be replaced by something with a long haul business class?

I actually booked another ticket from NRT and the plane config changed from international to regional business class. I'd have to cancel that flight (and pay) to get this one.

Thanks!
Old Oct 21, 2014, 12:10 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by fMD
Hi everyone, sorry for bumping an old thread but I'm in a similar predicament. I have the option of booking a business class flight from HND to HKG in the later half of December on the 747. What are the chances the plane will be around then and if it isn't, will this flight be replaced by something with a long haul business class?

I actually booked another ticket from NRT and the plane config changed from international to regional business class. I'd have to cancel that flight (and pay) to get this one.

Thanks!
no problem.

1.) 747 will definitely be around in December this year. It is only flying regional....just like the flights you're on. It frequents HND because CX sells F on that route. So HND is served by either 77H or 747 - the only two plane types in CX's inventory with F class. If there is a plane swap it will just be between these two frames.

2.) In line with logic above, yes you will have long-haul biz class to HND. It is the only regional destination for which this can be said with assurance.

3.) As you likely know, the 747 long-haul biz class product is the old CX biz. It is indeed lie-flat, but it is not the Cirrus herringbone design outfitted in the majority of CX's long-haul fleet (77H, 77G, 33G). The 747 is sometimes known as "coffin" J class because of the narrow walls.

4.) If you're familiar with CX, the 747 business class is the same as what's outfitted in the A340 ("34J" or "34B"), and previously was installed in "33B" (not around anymore) and the original iteration of CX's 77W called "77A". Like 33B, 77A doesn't exist anymore...all 77Ws have the new Cirrus J now in either the 77H or 77G config. All "long-haul" A330s (those which are guaranteed to Australia, India and Maldives, and almost always to the Middle East) are 33G, with Cirrus J.

Since you're flying biz, the question to HND is really just will you get the coffin J or Cirrus J. Either way, you are guaranteed a long-haul J product and they are both completely lie flat. You can spend some time searching around here for details about the two products.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 11:35 am
fMD

Originally Posted by QRC3288
no problem.

1.) 747 will definitely be around in December this year. It is only flying regional....just like the flights you're on. It frequents HND because CX sells F on that route. So HND is served by either 77H or 747 - the only two plane types in CX's inventory with F class. If there is a plane swap it will just be between these two frames.

2.) In line with logic above, yes you will have long-haul biz class to HND. It is the only regional destination for which this can be said with assurance.

3.) As you likely know, the 747 long-haul biz class product is the old CX biz. It is indeed lie-flat, but it is not the Cirrus herringbone design outfitted in the majority of CX's long-haul fleet (77H, 77G, 33G). The 747 is sometimes known as "coffin" J class because of the narrow walls.

4.) If you're familiar with CX, the 747 business class is the same as what's outfitted in the A340 ("34J" or "34B"), and previously was installed in "33B" (not around anymore) and the original iteration of CX's 77W called "77A". Like 33B, 77A doesn't exist anymore...all 77Ws have the new Cirrus J now in either the 77H or 77G config. All "long-haul" A330s (those which are guaranteed to Australia, India and Maldives, and almost always to the Middle East) are 33G, with Cirrus J.

Since you're flying biz, the question to HND is really just will you get the coffin J or Cirrus J. Either way, you are guaranteed a long-haul J product and they are both completely lie flat. You can spend some time searching around here for details about the two products.
Thank you for the reply! Coffin class is probably still way better than domestic business so I think I'm going to go with that. I also like the feel of flying upstairs so that should be nice

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.