FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - CX 747-400 or A330 Biz class
View Single Post
Old Oct 21, 2014, 12:10 am
QRC3288

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by fMD
Hi everyone, sorry for bumping an old thread but I'm in a similar predicament. I have the option of booking a business class flight from HND to HKG in the later half of December on the 747. What are the chances the plane will be around then and if it isn't, will this flight be replaced by something with a long haul business class?

I actually booked another ticket from NRT and the plane config changed from international to regional business class. I'd have to cancel that flight (and pay) to get this one.

Thanks!
no problem.

1.) 747 will definitely be around in December this year. It is only flying regional....just like the flights you're on. It frequents HND because CX sells F on that route. So HND is served by either 77H or 747 - the only two plane types in CX's inventory with F class. If there is a plane swap it will just be between these two frames.

2.) In line with logic above, yes you will have long-haul biz class to HND. It is the only regional destination for which this can be said with assurance.

3.) As you likely know, the 747 long-haul biz class product is the old CX biz. It is indeed lie-flat, but it is not the Cirrus herringbone design outfitted in the majority of CX's long-haul fleet (77H, 77G, 33G). The 747 is sometimes known as "coffin" J class because of the narrow walls.

4.) If you're familiar with CX, the 747 business class is the same as what's outfitted in the A340 ("34J" or "34B"), and previously was installed in "33B" (not around anymore) and the original iteration of CX's 77W called "77A". Like 33B, 77A doesn't exist anymore...all 77Ws have the new Cirrus J now in either the 77H or 77G config. All "long-haul" A330s (those which are guaranteed to Australia, India and Maldives, and almost always to the Middle East) are 33G, with Cirrus J.

Since you're flying biz, the question to HND is really just will you get the coffin J or Cirrus J. Either way, you are guaranteed a long-haul J product and they are both completely lie flat. You can spend some time searching around here for details about the two products.