Search

Opup story

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2013, 7:53 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CanucksHKG
From the dialogue: "話說尋晚CX279 Y class full到爆廠,要Up客上PEY,連冇身分嘅客都要問upgrade.."

That's quite interesting....considering there's only ~28 PEY seats. Was there really that little MPO elites on board?
Many of these students that travel between HK and Europe comes back home at least 2 (or sometimes 3) times a year. That's easily SL or above.
I've seen it happen. Also likely MPOs r opup into J already. Also they didn't indicate how many non MPOs maybe just 1-2 spill over at the end.
Actually many students might not be mpo as they r under 18 and with the cheap S class fares = no mileage accrual
Old Sep 9, 2013, 8:10 am

Programs: CX MPC GO; Golden Circle nobody!
On my trip from HKG to ORD last summer, the flight was so packed that even non-status passengers (students) were upgraded to J. I will never forget their excitement on their face!

Last edited by nsolitude; Sep 9, 2013 at 8:16 am
Old Sep 9, 2013, 8:18 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by correctioncx
I've seen it happen. Also likely MPOs r opup into J already. Also they didn't indicate how many non MPOs maybe just 1-2 spill over at the end.
Actually many students might not be mpo as they r under 18 and with the cheap S class fares = no mileage accrual
students dont get S class fares. they travel at peak period when cheap fares dont exist. and there ARE actually students over 18, if you're in 6th form, or Uni. AND it's easy to get a student over SL. you'd also be surprised (yes, you, but not for many of the rest of FTers. I've met a GO FTer who was a student. (he doesnt come here as often anymore) )when you get in a F/J cabin with a few students.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by kaka
students dont get S class fares. they travel at peak period when cheap fares dont exist. and there ARE actually students over 18, if you're in 6th form, or Uni. AND it's easy to get a student over SL. you'd also be surprised (yes, you, but not for many of the rest of FTers. I've met a GO FTer who was a student. (he doesnt come here as often anymore) )when you get in a F/J cabin with a few students.
A student speaking - yes, it is rather easy to maintain SL or even GO, if you fly I-fares from Taiwan. A friend of mine flies from Taiwan all the time. And I am personally approaching DM soon...
Old Sep 9, 2013, 8:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by nsolitude
A student speaking - yes, it is rather easy to maintain SL or even GO, if you fly I-fares from Taiwan. A friend of mine flies from Taiwan all the time. And I am personally approaching DM soon...
If students need/want to fly J, they don't need to do exTPE using I fares. Mommy and daddy will pay full J fares for them.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by CanucksHKG
If students need/want to fly J, they don't need to do exTPE using I fares. Mommy and daddy will pay full J fares for them.
Well, my friend and I both do. For me, it is about flexibility, as I happen to change or miss my flights rather often.

On my flights, I have encountered a lot of students from Taiwan, Hong Kong, or Malaysia that fly to another port to get the cheaper fares.

Last edited by nsolitude; Sep 9, 2013 at 8:58 am Reason: Structure
Old Sep 9, 2013, 4:13 pm

I have known many students in my neighborhood that have elite status with CI, BR, AA, United, Delta, and CX. It is really not as hard to be status when most of them travel back home twice a year, and some of them 3 times a year. We shouldn't see surprise when students gets op-up, they are probably lucky SLs on a packed plane, or, even a GO.

Gone are the old days when you come to US to study and can't afford to go home until you've finished your degree and you need to work 3 part-time jobs to support yourself. Today's students from China/Taiwan/Hong Kong drive good cars with great family financial support and mom and dad want them back as much as possible.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by kaka
just tag on with an DM if you want an opup. maybe holding a banner with your flight details help!
I have a badge that says "Can you give me an upgrade?" ...

It hasn't worked in Asia yet but a friend says it has worked for them in Europe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.