Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Flying PE - OWE or Marco Polo Gold - which to use?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2013, 2:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK Plat, OWE (BA), *A Gold (TK), EY Gold*

Looking for advice / experiences. Am booking flight (revenue) in PE from DXB-HKG and wondering whether to use my One World Emerald (through BAEC) or my Marco Polo Gold (OWS) when making the booking. Am wondering on the small off chance the flight is full, which, if any, would give better priority for OpUp?

Regardless I will change at Gate to earn tier points and avios with BAEC as MPC (for me) is such a measly prog (unless you live in HKG and can earn asia miles other ways)...

Also, has anyone experience of booking multi-class flights e.g. outbound Biz / return PE? Is a shame website doesn't allow this...
Old Aug 20, 2013, 2:22 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SimpleDXB
Looking for advice / experiences. Am booking flight (revenue) in PE from DXB-HKG and wondering whether to use my One World Emerald (through BAEC) or my Marco Polo Gold (OWS) when making the booking. Am wondering on the small off chance the flight is full, which, if any, would give better priority for OpUp?

Regardless I will change at Gate to earn tier points and avios with BAEC as MPC (for me) is such a measly prog (unless you live in HKG and can earn asia miles other ways)...
MPC Gold would give you slightly better chances, apparently. I dont think it would hurt much that just before they start boarding you go tell them straight ahead you want to switch FFP and if that would hinder your upgrade... afterall if they disallow your upgrade to due to you switching FFP, it would be more work to them - YMMV.

Also, has anyone experience of booking multi-class flights e.g. outbound Biz / return PE? Is a shame website doesn't allow this...
try calling the e-service centre +800 2747 2200
Old Aug 20, 2013, 2:50 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by kaka
MPC Gold would give you slightly better chances, apparently.
FAQ has "standard" answer for this: CX Gold (4) > OWE (6) http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/15321375-post10.html

I dont think it would hurt much that just before they start boarding you go tell them straight ahead you want to switch FFP and if that would hinder your upgrade... afterall if they disallow your upgrade to due to you switching FFP, it would be more work to them - YMMV.
Too bad OP does not live in UK, otherwise he might be able to do this permanently http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...lo-club.html#5

Originally Posted by SimpleDXB
This is truly YMMV, but AM is better than BA for the awards I'm getting the most (HKG-SYD ~4,600 miles http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...p?id=9750&p=16) #151

But yes, I'm only focused on the burn not the earn - I do live in HKG and most of my Asia Miles are earned "other ways".
Old Aug 20, 2013, 3:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA Plat, AC E35K
Originally Posted by percysmith
Too bad OP does not live in UK, otherwise he might be able to do this permanently http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...lo-club.html#5
From what I understand that system stopped when BA introduced Avios.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 5:55 am
Suspended

This is truly YMMV, but AM is better than BA for the awards I'm getting the most (HKG-SYD ~4,600 miles http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...p?id=9750&p=16) #151

But yes, I'm only focused on the burn not the earn - I do live in HKG and most of my Asia Miles are earned "other ways".
Technically if you earn thru HSBC (where you can have equal earn rates if you have Premier MC), all your O-D awards within Asia is better with BA Avios if you dont have to make changes...
Old Aug 20, 2013, 6:08 am

Technically if you earn thru HSBC (where you can have equal earn rates if you have Premier MC), all your O-D awards within Asia is better with BA Avios if you dont have to make changes...
True but

1. I don't like putting $1mil into HSBC or being a perpetual banking plan asylum seeker (having my Premier card threatened to be revoked is bad enough for miles gathering)

2. I change like crazy
Old Aug 20, 2013, 7:33 am
Suspended

2. I change like crazy
i ticket at 3am for a flight leaving at 9am... (the only thing is that you need to run up something for one way tickets)
Old Aug 20, 2013, 8:06 am

i ticket at 3am for a flight leaving at 9am... (the only thing is that you need to run up something for one way tickets)
I don't have a boss as generous with leave as yours.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 8:08 am
Suspended

How many days AL do u get appears u r always on holiday
Old Aug 20, 2013, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by correctioncx
How many days AL do u get appears u r always on holiday
I fly a lot of weekends. But even those get pushed around in short notice.

Friday CX161/101 to SYD, Sunday CX138 return (land Monday - zombie Monday)
Friday KA870 to PVG, Sunday KA891 return
Friday CX 709 to BKK*, Sunday CX702 return
Friday CX464 to TPE#, Sunday CX473 return

* will consider FD
# will consider CI

Last edited by percysmith; Aug 20, 2013 at 8:53 am
Old Aug 20, 2013, 9:16 am
Suspended

that's why i ticket 6 hours before flight...
Old Aug 20, 2013, 3:55 pm

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
OWE probably better service than CX Gold but CX Gold higher up for OP-up
Old Aug 20, 2013, 7:47 pm
Suspended

I witnessed once in an outport where the mpo ask the checkin agent to remove their mpo# buy make sure in the crew PIL to state that he is DM so he gets good service. So I guess if you are worried you can do this as well?
Old Aug 23, 2013, 12:30 am
Suspended

Programs: QFF SG, VA SL, MR Plat, SPG Plat, HH Diamond
OWE gives no extra on board benefits, MP Gold all the way

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.