FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [OLD FAQ THREAD] | Cathay Pacific FAQ thread: Everything you want to know about CX
Old Nov 28, 2010, 2:46 pm
Top of climb

8. Upgrades

8.1 What are my chances at an operational upgrade (op-up)?
The general principle applied by Cathay is that passengers should be seated in the class in which they are ticketed. Upgrades should only be actioned where there is a commercial need to do so. In terms of operational upgrades, this means that these will only occur where there is overbooking in lower classes.

We understand that the ranking system which applies in determining who receives priority for an operational upgrade is as follows (with thanks to kchika):
  1. VIP (Heads of State, Government Bodies, or Canto Pop/Movie stars)
  2. CX Diamond Plus
  3. CX Diamond Invitation, Diamond
  4. CX Gold
  5. CX management staff on travel duty
  6. oneworld Emerald
  7. CX staff on duty nominees , other airline staff nominees, CX staff on personal travel
  8. oneworld Sapphire
  9. CX Silver
  10. oneworld Ruby
  11. CX Green
  12. Asia Miles
  13. Non status
In the event of a tiebreak being needed, the computer will generally parse by boarding sequence number (lower BN takes priority). Needless to say, the earlier you check in, the lower your BN.

Asking for an upgrade at check-in will not work, so don't. This is definitely one case of where "if you don't ask, you don't get", does NOT apply.

8.2 OK, so I think by virtue of my oneworld or MPO status I have a decent shot at an upgrade. Does fare class play a role as well?
Unfortunately we don't seem to have a definitive answer on this. Some propound that the most heavily discounted fares are not upgradable (by miles or otherwise). Others have said, and have had experience in getting op-ups even on an award ticket, that fare codes play no basis in getting op-ups.

The short and the long of it is that while being booked in a heavily discounted fare class may mean you miss out on an op-up, there is no definitive evidence that this is a hard and fast rule, especially given reports to the contrary.

8.3 How are upgrades processed?
Upgrades are generally processed within 24 hours of departure when CX's computer does a final sweep of the flight and determines the overall load factor. It will then do a search for all relevant MPC members and other qualified oneworld members for eligibility if it necessitates upgrade procedures. Note that operational upgrades will only apply if the flight is overbooked.

To have the best shot at operational upgrades, flights should be booked under CX flight numbers. Codeshared flights (e.g. under AA flight numbers) are not included in the op-up procedural 'sweep' as CX will not have control of the codeshare airline's inventory until much closer to departure.

8.4 When do I find out if I have scored an op-up?
At any point between online check-in when it opens 48 hours before departure (albeit rare) to actual physical check-in at the airport, to "please contact Reception" announcements in the CX lounge and even when the boarding pass reader beeps and rejects your boarding pass right at the gate! The latter is getting more and more common, so don't give up hope until you're on the plane and it's taken off.

Last edited by Top of climb; Feb 16, 2012 at 2:55 am