Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Has CX resumed Apple Daily newspaper service after the alleged scandal?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has CX resumed Apple Daily newspaper service after the alleged scandal?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2011, 3:12 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Jane's Addiction
Was on my DPS - HKG flight on Monday.
Thanks! Sounds like they have resumed it on Monday, the day which Apple Daily doesn't have a follow up. Was The Sun Daily/Oriental Daily there too? I believe they had a follow up article that day.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 3:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Marco Polo
did it have a photo of the relevant 'joystick' ?
Apple Daily did not have an article on the alleged scandal on Monday but other newspapers such as The Sun Daily did.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 3:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CX HK
Also, perhaps a better reputation of Apple Daily is its fearlessness in reporting scandals and news regarding large corporations or China, as it doesn't bow to pressure from either.
But they seems to put CX/KA as a target these days though. They have bad press on them 4 days in a row. And other than the scandal follow up, they have another A/C incident on CX2580 to CTS today too

http://www1.hk.apple.nextmedia.com/t...av_id=15507317

But at least CX is only suspending Apple Daily service if the sex scandal is on the paper not every time they report something bad about them.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 4:20 am

Programs: CX DM / SQ PPS / VN Platinum
Originally Posted by JALPak
Thanks! Sounds like they have resumed it on Monday, the day which Apple Daily doesn't have a follow up. Was The Sun Daily/Oriental Daily there too? I believe they had a follow up article that day.
OD - yes.
SD - think so.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 4:22 am
Original Poster

OD - yes.
SD - think so.
Thanks! Sounds like it's finally back to normal then (as long as no pictures are shown on the reports) ^

Did anyone fly on Saturday/Sunday when they temporarily suspended part of the newspaper service? What kind of choices are there left?
Old Aug 9, 2011, 6:14 am

Programs: CX MarcoPolo (SL), BA Executive Club (GO)
Was on my DPS - HKG flight on Monday.
I was also on CX784 on Monday! I also saw the paper, but did not take one.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 8:18 am

Programs: FT
seems like a potential safety issue that needs to be investigated. even if not in flight, the photos could evidence unauthorized access to equipment that would concern me.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 4:53 am
Hvr

Programs: QF LTG:
Looks like there may have been some truth in the article.

The following statement is issued on behalf of Mr. John Slosar, Chief Executive of Cathay Pacific Airways:

“I can confirm that two members of our crew shown in compromising situations in photographs published recently in Chinese-language daily newspapers are no longer employees of the company.

I can also report that we have found no evidence to suggest that the incidents happened on any of our flights while airborne.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 7:40 am

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by Hvr
Looks like there may have been some truth in the article.
This is very interesting. Clearly CX recognized - even though some might have thought the article was something for a tabloid, I for one did not - that this was a potential MAJOR safety issue.

I thought there was a thread on the same on this board to the original article but I can not see it any more.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 8:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mkjr
This is very interesting. Clearly CX recognized - even though some might have thought the article was something for a tabloid, I for one did not - that this was a potential MAJOR safety issue.

I thought there was a thread on the same on this board to the original article but I can not see it any more.
Perhaps the safety aspect of this incident should belong to another thread? The mod deleted the last thread because it has gone too OT. I wouldn't want this to happen to this thread again But I completely agree with you they need to look into more of how they get the cockpit access if they say there's no reason to believe the incident happened when the plane was airborne.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 11:13 am

Expect Apple Daily to be pulled because a THIRD PHOTO has been leaked, and of course, reported by Apple Daily. This is like Edison Chen but on a MUCH smaller scale.

I won't post the link in case it violates any sort of TOS or anything.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CX HK
Expect Apple Daily to be pulled because a THIRD PHOTO has been leaked, and of course, reported by Apple Daily. This is like Edison Chen but on a MUCH smaller scale.

I won't post the link in case it violates any sort of TOS or anything.
But this time the female in the picture isn't wearing a CX uniform though. And it was yesterday's paper...so they would have pulled it yesterday already. I believe this is done on a day by day basis too...so probably wouldn't affect today's paper service (although there's a follow up on this today on Apple Daily too)?

I sympathize the FAs as I have heard some people are so ridiculous that they brought the leaked photos with them and tried to identify the FA themselves! Behaviors like this will just give CX another excuse to pull the paper from the flight.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by JALPak
Perhaps the safety aspect of this incident should belong to another thread? The mod deleted the last thread because it has gone too OT. I wouldn't want this to happen to this thread again But I completely agree with you they need to look into more of how they get the cockpit access if they say there's no reason to believe the incident happened when the plane was airborne.
I agree and my personal gut feel is that I wouldn't be surprised if it actually happened while airborne. These 2 are obviously thrill-seekers and if they did the act while the aircraft was on the ground, the thrill just isn't there. They can just do it at the hotel. Does the Civil Aviation Dept actually step in to do their own investigation on this safety aspect? CX knows how damaging it would be if there are any evidence that leaked out indicating the act actually took place in the air.
For a CEO to make a statement on this embarassing situation, they are already desperate to protect their image and reputation.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 2:51 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ, BA, TG, Sheba, VN, MPO since 1980
CX advertising campaign blown away. Sacked captain and hostess say decision sucks. Cock pit fumigated.

www.scmp.com Sunday 14 August
Cathay may postpone ad campaign after sex scandal Embarrassed airline ponders best way to handle latest phase of its global marketing drive Simon Parry Aug 14, 2011

They have already enraged Cathay Pacific (SEHK: 0293)'s chief executive and cost a pilot and an air hostess their jobs. Now the notorious photographs of the couple's sex act in the cockpit of a plane have sent a multimillion-dollar global advertising campaign for the airline into a tailspin.
In an unfortunate twist, the circulation of images of a Chinese flight attendant performing a sex act on an expatriate pilot in newspapers and on the internet came days ahead of the planned launch of a new phase of Cathay Pacific's "People and Service" marketing drive.

Featuring candid pictures of flight attendants, pilots and other airline employees in informal poses, the campaign carries the slogan: "Meet the team who go the extra mile to make you feel special."
Now, the campaign is under urgent review and the booking of billboards and newspaper and magazine slots worldwide may be cancelled in light of the sex photographs scandal, a management source said.
"The timing of this scandal really could not have been worse in marketing terms," the source said. "A whole new set of pictures of staff in off-duty poses has been taken for the next phase of what has been an enormously effective global campaign.
"But the scope for the slogan and the campaign to be misinterpreted, or ridiculed and lampooned, in light of the cockpit incident is obvious. So it looks like it's going to be postponed at least for a while." ........................

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.