Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wing is world's best airport lounge

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2011, 9:08 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Personally, I love The Wing. There's nothing quite like the open feeling and the view out those floor-to-ceiling glass walls onto the tarmac. OTOH, other than the view, I don't see how The Wing can match the LH FRA FCT. Incredible service. Personal assistants, private security, private passport control and the Porsche/Mercedes ride to the plane are all unequalled. Throw in the Cigar Room, those great shower/bath rooms, and I give the nod to FCT. That said, as a OW person, I'm in HKG far more often than FRA.
FRA FCT is the only competition to The Wing IMO, but the style is so different they are both my favorites. I give my nod to the Cabana at The Wing as well as the Noodle Bar. The private ride to the A/C does give a very nice DYKWIA moment. Still, at The Wing I arrived with several colleagues when we were too late to make our flight. A cart arrived to haul us to our plane. Not so nice as a Cayenne, perhaps, but far more useful.

Tough choice, as is for me OW vs *A
Old Feb 4, 2011, 9:58 am

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Originally Posted by maortega15
Sorry to go off topic, but as a Diamond Member of CX MPC, would it be possible to access the JAL First Class Lounge at Narita? I was reading a trip report and just fell inlove with the food offerings! I will be travelling on my 20th birthday next month from JFK-NRT via HKG and return via the same way. I have read on a trip report as a CX DM, they were giving him problems at the lounge at NRT. Not sure what to think. Thoughts? Cheers
Your answer is yes, you should be allow access into JL F lounge.
Nice to hear we have another young frequent flyer on the board ^
Old Feb 4, 2011, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by Short hair Francis
Thanks! Ever since I was a small boy, I loved flying and stuff. I remember the days of the JL 747-400 with the tsumaru logo and cheatline. I was taking that from JFK to MNL always. I joined CX's MPC a little less than 2 years ago and now I am DM. I should have started im 2004. That's when I started taking CX and the A343 was used from HKG-JFK via YVR. And Cathay Pacific was not well known back then. Time flies!
Old Feb 4, 2011, 12:31 pm

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
I like LH FCT better than CX Wing. CX can be packed. LH's food, bar and magazine selections are better. Not to mention the Poshe.
But I still feel very lucky everytime I stepped into the Wing.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 1:51 pm
Suspended

wrong thread.

Last edited by Zapzig; Feb 4, 2011 at 1:52 pm Reason: wrong thread
Old Feb 4, 2011, 6:08 pm

Programs: CX Diamond, HH Diamond, A-Club Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Shangri-la Jade, Intercon Gold Ambassador
I'm trying to remember which Flagship Lounge has shrimp cocktail?(
ORD for sure.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 7:32 pm

Programs: CX Diamond, AA EXP & 2M, SQ PPS, DL Diamond
Originally Posted by Marco Polo
http://www.airlinequality.com/news/191010_JAL.htm
'Japan Airlines (JAL) will commence operations of its international lounges - First Class Lounge, Sakura Lounge and Arrival Lounge at Haneda from October 21st 2010 - the official opening day of the newest international terminal building, '
Since opening I've flown out of haneda via CX 4 times. As noted, the JAL lounge is brand new, very spacious and eye-catching with great views of the flight deck. My only issue is that food is mediocre and JAL only allows their own First class passengers into First section of lounge. Diamond/Executive-Plat. OneWorld members are not welcome nor are First class passengers on Cathay. That is very disappointing and if every OneWorld member took that stance with their home lounges OneWorld would suffer
Old Feb 4, 2011, 7:34 pm

Programs: CX Diamond, AA EXP & 2M, SQ PPS, DL Diamond
My experience with JAL at Haneda is that ONLY JAL 1ST and their top tier members are allowed in First section of lounge
Old Feb 4, 2011, 8:04 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by 200nites
Since opening I've flown out of haneda via CX 4 times. As noted, the JAL lounge is brand new, very spacious and eye-catching with great views of the flight deck. My only issue is that food is mediocre and JAL only allows their own First class passengers into First section of lounge. Diamond/Executive-Plat. OneWorld members are not welcome nor are First class passengers on Cathay. That is very disappointing and if every OneWorld member took that stance with their home lounges OneWorld would suffer
That's not 100% correct. Someone on JAL forum has checked with the lounge agent. Only OW Emeralds traveling on JAL are invited to F lounge. So CX DM flying on JAL flights can access HND F lounge. JAL's top elites can't access the F lounge either if they are not flying on JAL. This is mainly due to capacity constraints.
Old Feb 5, 2011, 1:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM, SQ, BA, TG, Sheba, VN, MPO since 1980
pot luck

It makes you wonder how the different outfits rate the lounges etc ?
None of the flyertalk members on this thread rated the following:
Skytrax Best First Class Lounge 2010
1 THAI AIRWAYS (BKK) (and in 2009 also !)

2 QANTAS AIRWAYS (SYD)

3 QATAR AIRWAYS (DOH)

another opinion:
http://www.worldmate.com/travelog/20...rline-lounges/
and
http://www.travelandleisure.com/slid...port-lounges/1
Old Feb 5, 2011, 3:56 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Seriously?!

Come on, honestly? LH's FRA experience is simply superior to CX in my opinion, and I find this hard to debate. As a second, BA's T5 lounges - both the OW EM lounge (regular OW Emerald) and Concorde Room (for ticketed F pax only) - are a significant cut above the Wing. I really enjoy CX, but when people are talking about airy, open, whatever, I don't see how BA doesn't match that and then some. Huge open views of one of the runways. Good food and a superior wine selection (in both sections, F and particularly the Concorde Room). I say this as someone who is quite sympathetic and loyal to CX. I don't think it's much of a debate though...
Old Feb 5, 2011, 4:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Yeah - gotta agree here that there are other lounges which trump the CX Wing. Included in these are some of the LH F lounges and the QF lounges in SYD/MEL. The TG F lounge is ok, but the food's a bit mediocre. SQ's TPR never seems to get much of a mention.
Old Feb 5, 2011, 4:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM, SQ, BA, TG, Sheba, VN, MPO since 1980
Originally Posted by QRC3288
Come on, honestly? LH's FRA experience is simply superior to CX in my opinion, and I find this hard to debate. As a second, BA's T5 lounges - both the OW EM lounge (regular OW Emerald) and Concorde Room (for ticketed F pax only) - are a significant cut above the Wing. I really enjoy CX, but when people are talking about airy, open, whatever, I don't see how BA doesn't match that and then some. Huge open views of one of the runways. Good food and a superior wine selection (in both sections, F and particularly the Concorde Room). I say this as someone who is quite sympathetic and loyal to CX. I don't think it's much of a debate though...

I have never been in the LH lounge but Skytrax rates it third best in 2010.
http://www.airlinequality.com/Experi...opTen_2010.htm
http://www.flatseats.com/
having checked their latest 2010 ratings I see they rate the Wing 8th.
CX performance 2010 awards according to Skytrax : World Best
airline 4th / 1st class lounge 8th / Biz class lounge 8th / 1st class seat 6th / Biz class seat and Y class seat not even top ten.
Maybe Frommers did not do their homework.
Old Feb 5, 2011, 6:30 pm

Not even close

Emirates T3 F by a mile... CX Wing is in good need of a revamp, which is coming. CX would be lucky to make top 5 in the shape its in..
Old Feb 5, 2011, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I personally find LH's FCT @ FRA, BA's CCR & Galleries F lounge at LHR T5 to be superior to both the Wing and the Pier. Not too long ago both the Wing and Pier used to set the standard on what a home based lounge should be. But unfortunately airlines have caught and surpassed them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.