Search

Names wrong way round.. a problem?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2010, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: BMI
Names wrong way round.. a problem?

Hi,

I've just noticed that I've booked a ticket with my surname and first name the wrong way around (Chinese often put their last name first). I'm I going to have a problem with flying on CX? The ticket is an economy saver so I don't think I can change anything without a fee.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Jon
Old Sep 22, 2010, 10:51 am

I believe you can change the name without charge pointing out there had been a mistake.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 11:02 am
Original Poster

I just called and they said it would cost 30 pounds...
Old Sep 22, 2010, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by monkeymagic
Hi,

I've just noticed that I've booked a ticket with my surname and first name the wrong way around (Chinese often put their last name first). I'm I going to have a problem with flying on CX? The ticket is an economy saver so I don't think I can change anything without a fee.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Jon
This may be a serious issue in today's climate. My wife's name has been missed printed one time, and all it took was us to show her ID and telling the check-in agent that it was a mistake, but keep in mind this is pre-9/11

I would really suggest you call CX and ask what is their current policy regarding names, and if CX insists, pay that 30 pounds.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 11:33 am
Original Poster

The not so friendly woman on the phone said that cx would be fine with it but immigration may not.

I guess I might just have to bite the bullet and pay up but it's really annoying! Normally I'd probably take the chance but I'm flying put for mew years eve and have a connection to Australia the following day so don't want any hassle delaying my departure.

I don't think this is actually the first time I've made this mistake though! I just can't remember what I did last time! (it was many years ago and may be different now in a security conscious world)
Old Sep 22, 2010, 4:52 pm

Programs: CX-DIAMOND, OZ-DIAMOND
Before issuing ticket, name change can be done without charge.
But after issue ticket, need a re-issue charge.
This is not only CX, but most airlines would be charged...
Old Sep 22, 2010, 8:31 pm

Programs: JL Sapphire, Aegean Gold, Accor Platinum, HHonours Gold
Ive just had a ticket issued by CX holidays where they specified that my name had to be as per my passport for ticketing. I'm pretty sure that at other times using CX, my name appears chinese style, surname first, with no questions asked.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 8:59 pm

Programs: CX SL, AB Gold, AF/KL FB Silver, HU/HX Silver, SPG Gold
Supposing your situation is as you say, i.e. (JOHN/SMITHMR rather than SMITH/JOHNMR), it should be ok as long as the letters in the word matches your ID.