Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Only have a 50 Minute Layover in Hong Kong between flights. Is that sufficient time?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Only have a 50 Minute Layover in Hong Kong between flights. Is that sufficient time?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2018, 1:05 pm

It’s 12:05 to 15:55.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 4:44 pm

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
Originally Posted by mechu
See that AA has some really low fares from HKG to the US (less than half of the fares from SIN where I am based). See plentyyes of availability for round trip fares from HKG to the west coast for just over 500 USD and east coast for 600 USD and they are generally valid for 1 year travel with very reasonable change fees. For slightly more, there are also options to include legs on CX and JL and the one I am looking to book is HKG-NRT-ORD with HKG-NRT on CX and NRT-ORD on JL. When booking via AA.com, the HKG-NRT shows up with a CX code for some reason (CX524) and NRT-ORD with the codeshare (AA8405).

For SIN-HKG, I intend to make a separate avios award booking on CX. HKG-NRT is on CX524 departing at 0100h and ideally I would have liked to book CX716 that arrives in HKG 2205h which leaves me with a ~3h connection time. This timing is not available though and the other flight is CX636 that arrives at 0010h leaving me with exactly 50 mins for the connection (travelling in a party of 4 and the availability is more limited). This is a legit connection when searching for SIN-NRT options with CX.

Wondering if anyone can advise what are my options for recourse if I miss my connection in this situation with 2 separate PNRs. Will CX rebook me all the way to ORD including the leg on JL given that I am connecting to a CX coded flight or is this a YMMV situation?
It’s not a connection and therefore you are entitled to no recourse. What CX does is up to them as to whether they show mercy.

If not, you’re finding your own way to ORD.

AND the return leg ORD-HKG (if applicable) will also be cancelled.

Last edited by JClasstraveller; Apr 25, 2018 at 4:49 pm
Old Apr 25, 2018, 6:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Cx is in general not so mean- but they have no obligation to sort you out
Old Apr 25, 2018, 6:39 pm

I am looking at SIN to TPE via HKG, as I need to leave Singapore in the evening and no direct flt from Singapore is available.

Looking Ng at CX schedule, if I took the CX fly departing from SIN at 1805 I will arrive HKG at 2205, whereas the last flt to TPE from HKG depart at 2250.

This is 5 mins short of min connection time, but do you think I can make it (I don’t have checked luggage).
Old Apr 25, 2018, 6:52 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by Blackbird_hkg
I am looking at SIN to TPE via HKG, as I need to leave Singapore in the evening and no direct flt from Singapore is available.

Looking Ng at CX schedule, if I took the CX fly departing from SIN at 1805 I will arrive HKG at 2205, whereas the last flt to TPE from HKG depart at 2250.

This is 5 mins short of min connection time, but do you think I can make it (I don’t have checked luggage).
They probably will not give you your onward BP at SIN... I have no experience with mobile BP.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 9:10 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by cxfan1960
They probably will not give you your onward BP at SIN... I have no experience with mobile BP.
Doesn't matter
If same ticket, OP cannot book anyway because connection <MCT
If different ticket, definitely works - OP will simply check in like we would departing ex-HKG (within 48 hours of departure)
Old Apr 28, 2018, 5:38 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by cxfan1960
I went through the HKG transfer security near gate 44/45 the other day, and they were turning away any pax with mobile BP's and directing them to get a paper BP.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 7:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
I can see that being a problem for people who need a visa to go landside and are transiting (cabin bags only) to an LCC who doesn't have a transfer desk presence!
Old Apr 28, 2018, 8:25 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by rbAA
I went through the HKG transfer security near gate 44/45 the other day, and they were turning away any pax with mobile BP's and directing them to get a paper BP.
Strange. There must've been something more to it...I went through 10 days ago with a mobile BP without any problems. It was a KA mobile BP.

Is it possible that there was some other issue with the person's BP you saw? Like maybe wrong date, or unreadable, or something else?

Originally Posted by christep
I can see that being a problem for people who need a visa to go landside and are transiting (cabin bags only) to an LCC who doesn't have a transfer desk presence!
See my anecdote above, it definitely isn't universal. I was permitted through with mobile BP recently to a KA flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.