Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Only have a 50 Minute Layover in Hong Kong between flights. Is that sufficient time?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Only have a 50 Minute Layover in Hong Kong between flights. Is that sufficient time?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2010, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
.... then yes, you're screwed.
Well, Cathay Boy, yes and no. OP might have to spend a few hours in the Wing, which I consider far from screwed.

Originally Posted by QRC3288
Agreed it's not a sure thing....but have you had other gates lately? I'm 4/4 out of gates 1-4 in the last 4 months on US-bound flights (2x JFK, LAX and SFO), where they've been doing that specialized security bit within the concourse itself (instead of doing it on the jetbridge). More curiosity than anything, I was wondering if CX is really making a concerted effort to put the US-bound flights in that area or if my experience has just been a coincidence
Interesting, now that I think about it, the only gates I've ever had for US bound flights have been 1-4 and outside (facing south) gates in the 60s. LAX departures have all been from 1-4, JFK have been split about equally between 60s and 1-4.

Last time was May 2, gate 2, bound for JFK. Unfortunately a/c went tech as boarding started. Ended up being bused from a downstairs gate to a 77A parked out on the tarmac. Everything seemed rushed, and indeed it was. They forgot to refill potable water, and we ran out about two hours into the flight. Comp in F was two USD$50 certificates on arrival, but only good for onboard shopping, one in J, and I don't know what Y got.

I won't get any new information on my next trip, next week. Using *A redemption, LH TATL connecting to TG to BKK.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 11:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Ex Platinum, AA million miler, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UA Silver
Thanks for the information. In any case if I miss my connection I guess I get a free night in Hong Kong.

Any idea if I get my bags if I miss my connection?
Old Jul 27, 2010, 12:05 am

Originally Posted by go4bal
Thanks for the information. In any case if I miss my connection I guess I get a free night in Hong Kong.

Any idea if I get my bags if I miss my connection?
Yes. New security policy is in-place that all bags needed to be accounted for the actual pax riding the plane. If for whatever reason you didn't get on the plane, the airport security/ground staff will unload your bag.

However, you may anger a few people because they may think it's a bomb. Of course if your plane is late and the other plane took off, then you wouldn't have that issue. Just walk up to the CX transfer desk and tell them you missed your connection, and they will ask you if you want your bags now or they can tagged it for your next flight.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Ex Platinum, AA million miler, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UA Silver
Thanks Cathay Boy. If I get stuck overnight in HKG, I figure that if I miss my flight I would definitely want my bags for the night prior to the long haul from HKG - LAX.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 2:52 pm

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread. I too was looking at a 50 min connection at HKG but didn't find any definitive answer from the FT threads. However I came across this site for CX agents in the USA, that stipulates MCT for HKG:

​​​​​​CXAgents USA - Support - Minimum connecting times (MCT)
Old Jan 3, 2018, 3:58 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
It's hard to search clearly on FT, but they're out there. We have a lot, I'd say a new post about this every 1-2 months. Do advanced search for "minimum connection", "minimum", "transit", and "transit time". Most people lob in requests about their individual flight #s or destinations so make sure you're searching all posts and just not thread titles.

For the record 50 minutes is plenty of time, but of course the closer in the connection the bigger risk you have for every minute of delay. But generally speaking if you land 30 minutes before you're okay.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by QRC3288
It's hard to search clearly on FT, but they're out there. We have a lot, I'd say a new post about this every 1-2 months. Do advanced search for "minimum connection", "minimum", "transit", and "transit time". Most people lob in requests about their individual flight #s or destinations so make sure you're searching all posts and just not thread titles.

For the record 50 minutes is plenty of time, but of course the closer in the connection the bigger risk you have for every minute of delay. But generally speaking if you land 30 minutes before you're okay.
Personally I think allowing just 30 mins is going to be a stressful rush especially if the gates are far away from one another.

I was wondering why my corporate TA allowed a booking of 50 mins connection time when the CX agents' website stipulated 60 mins.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 5:11 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Personally I think allowing just 30 mins is going to be a stressful rush especially if the gates are far away from one another.

I was wondering why my corporate TA allowed a booking of 50 mins connection time when the CX agents' website stipulated 60 mins.
TAs should not book connections below MCT. Even if they do, they should not be able to issue one ticket for the connection. When you get to the airport, the check-in staff should decline checking your luggage through and should not issue you the onward BP, making your connection even more unlikely.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 5:33 pm

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
MCT is still 50 minutes, however, I found it since HKG getting busier and busier, the chance of air traffic control requesting flights to hold before approaching are getting higher. Long haul flights used to arrive 20-30 minutes earlier few years ago, not the case any more.

An on time arrival normally means you'll have about 25 minutes to go from one gate to another, including going through security check. And from my recent experiences, CX/KA tend of offload you if the onward flight is full (pax on standby at airport), especially when your flights only arrived 5 minutes late than schedule and they off load you, you know they're playing the game. I am thinking of giving it a try by ignoring the ground staff and go straight to the gate, and see if they would let me board.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 3:16 am

Originally Posted by Ausriver
MCT is still 50 minutes, however, ...
From where did you find that MCT at HKG is 50 mins? This was what I tried to google, but couldn't find anything official from HKIA.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 3:54 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
It's on the CX Agents page that you linked!

(For CX/CX, CX/KA. KA/CX connections)
Old Jan 4, 2018, 3:55 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
From where did you find that MCT at HKG is 50 mins? This was what I tried to google, but couldn't find anything official from HKIA.
ef and cxagenys both list 60 mins, fwiw
sorry- Ef lists cx-cx as 50 minutes halfway down where its hidden. So i guess it IS 50 minutes at least in HKG.

CXagents still lists mct as 60 minutes... but if u go down to KA-CX connection it does say 50 minutes...

Last edited by kaka; Jan 4, 2018 at 4:10 pm
Old Jan 4, 2018, 4:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
It is 50, but the question is what is your itinerary and at what time of the day.
If you connect to a KA flight leaving from the KA island, it takes a longer time to reach your gate.
If you arrive in early evening, flights are more likely to be delayed.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 4:15 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
ef lists the standard as 60mins, but in the notes below, CX-CX is at 50mins
kaka likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 7:08 am

Programs: AA UA DL AS CXDM JL NH Hilton Hyatt Marriott SPG IHG
Originally Posted by jagmeets
ef lists the standard as 60mins, but in the notes below, CX-CX is at 50mins
What if the 1st CX flight and the 2nd CX flight are on different PNR, separate ticket, would the 2nd CX flight still wait for you? What'd happen if the 1st CX is way delayed that you miss the 2nd CX flight?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.