Wiki Posts
Search

Perfect Island in Caribbean

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2008, 10:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mkt
Virgin Gorda
Yes, absolutely, Virgin Gorda in the BVI. IMHO, The best beach island in the Caribbean. St. John would be second. The Grenadines would also be a nice choice.
Old Aug 26, 2008, 10:21 pm

Programs: Northwest Platinum
I can't tell you about many other Caribbean Islands, but I love the Cayman Islands (though I may be biased, having been 50+ times). The beaches are beautiful, and though there are large resorts (Hyatt, Ritz Carlton, etc.) there are also smaller luxury condominium complexes on the beach, and there are some secluded parts of the beach. The scuba diving is superb, and the temperature in the winter is perfect.

It does have cruise ships now, however, that make downtown Georgetown very crowded- but really there is no need to go downtown.
Old Aug 29, 2008, 12:06 am
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by D1andonlyDman
Yes, absolutely, Virgin Gorda in the BVI. IMHO, The best beach island in the Caribbean.
I grew up sailing around the Caribbean as a child in Puerto Rico, and we went as far south as Venezuela on the boat. I've been to most of the islands, and while I still find that each has their own charms, Virgin Gorda will forever be my favorite. Maybe it's the proximity to Puerto Rico, but we'd vacation there every year. I learned to swim in the baths, and had my first drink at the marina. I even had my first crush there, on a British tourist. So it's always going to be in my heart.

Nowadays, I go there at least twice a year for fun and diving, and when I'm in Tortola for work, I try to find a way to sneak across the Francis Drake to VG for a day afterwards. Ferry across, taxi to Leverick, and have a nice day.

I'm hoping Seaborne Airlines has a sale soon so I can head "home" again
Old Feb 6, 2009, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Best caribbean Snorkeling from Forbes Traveler

http://www.forbestraveler.com/advent...=fp_snorkeling

San Salvador, Bahamas
La Cordillera Nature Reserve, Puerto Rico
Isla Mona Nature Reserve, Puerto Rico
Anegada, British Virgin Islands
Bonaire, Netherlands Antilles
Tobago Cays, St. Vincent and the Grenadines
Whale Sharks, Isla Contoy, Mexico
Shark Ray Alley, Ambergris Caye, Belize
Buck Island, St. Croix
Dominica

Members recommended U.S. Virgin Islands (St. John) and Turks & Caicos as among the best in the Caribbean based on the description. Any of the destinations in the list above surpasses St. John and/or Turks & Caicos?
Old Jun 17, 2009, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

Caribbean has islands that attract many types of travelers. The responses are diverse as to the best islands based on the description. Photos of some of these islands are more helpful, and among them the most notable are of Anguilla, Grenadines, Turks & Caicos, and U.S. Virgin Islands. The best option to travel the Caribbean is via cruise.

Almost all the most notable islands are located somewhere in the middle of the Caribbean. Geographically, one would think the most isolated is best. (This is especially true with Fiji and Tahiti in the South Pacific.)
Old Jun 22, 2009, 8:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Cruising is for old people and people who only want to see things superficially (IMHO ). For many people, the best option is not to see the Caribbean via cruise, since you actually get to see very little of the islands - who wants to only spend 4-5 hours on an island, in a great flood of people, just so you can tick it off to say you've been there?

Why be so categorical about it on a travel site? We all have our preferred ways to travel.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 9:27 am

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
Originally Posted by Jenbel
Cruising is for old people and people who only want to see things superficially (IMHO ). For many people, the best option is not to see the Caribbean via cruise, since you actually get to see very little of the islands - who wants to only spend 4-5 hours on an island, in a great flood of people, just so you can tick it off to say you've been there?

Why be so categorical about it on a travel site? We all have our preferred ways to travel.
In my opinion , cruising is enjoyed by people of all ages who want a nice holiday without a lot of hassle. Who wants to get stuck on an island that doesn't fit your style just because you were told a cruise is only for old people.

Many people have no desire to immerse themselves in the local culture for a couple of weeks. I will hazard a guess that very few vacationers actually see much of anything but the superficial tourist spots, even if they do leave the resort.

Cruising can be very good value and give one a general idea of different places. I know I will return to different islands because of the few hours I spent there on a cruise.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 9:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
But having said that, would you agree with such a categorical statement as
The best option to travel the Caribbean is via cruise
The point I was making was not to diss cruising per se (I'm sure I'll love it when I'm old ), but to highlight the fact that for many people, the best option for Caribbean travel is not to cruise. For many people, of which I am one, a Caribbean cruise would be way, way, way down on my preferred ways of seeing the Caribbean - it just sounds the most deadly dull way of doing it in the world. Making a categorical statement about what is the best way to travel, on a bulletin board for travellers is just asking to be contradicted (unless you are remarking about travelling first! ).

I'll also point out, I've never stayed in a resort either. So I guess I fall into your 'very few vacationers' as well. Where's that angelic smilie when I need it?! I suspect it depends on what islands you go to - on some islands, which are not based around resorts (which includes both the ones I've been to), most tourists are out and about and mingling with the locals. On others, where you maybe advised not to leave the resorts for fear of crime, or where you may have chosen to go all inclusive... different matter. Not really sure I'd want to do that either though. Having the freedom to roam the island is very important when I select an island to visit (well that and award availability!)
Old Jun 24, 2009, 11:51 am

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
Each has their own preferred way to travel. In the Caribbean I have traveled on cruises, stayed at all-inclusive resorts, on resorts, and also in a couple of little known off the beaten path places as a tourist. Each has pros and cons. I enjoyed each for different reasons and will do each again in the future depending on my needs and wants at the time.

I really try not to make categorical statements about things I have not tried and have no first hand experience of. If something does not look like it would be for me, I can accept that it may be wonderful for someone else.

The world is a great and varied place. I'm glad that there are so many options that each person can find what works for them and be happy.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 2:25 pm
Suspended

[QUOTE=SCL767;10181240]
Originally Posted by slawecki
every place i have been in the carib has been hot as hell. and usually pretty humid. way too much of it has cruise boat access.

Check out the Grenadines
i agree . water is best here, imo.

all the islands are beautiful and have different things to offer. i love the little island of grenada. those water taxis always make me smile. i like the people there too.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 9:37 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Silver, FB pleb, BMI pleb,
From my recent travels the best islands for me were Bequia and St Lucia (around the Pitons area, not up north). But then I'm not a big fan of resorts, dont spend much time lying on the beach and like to walk and take busses everywhere, so im not the typical Caribbean traveller. Saba and Montserrat are next on my list to visit (well... I am a geologist after all!).
Old Mar 3, 2010, 5:10 pm
Original Poster

Please give your most recent experience. Greatly appreciated.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 5:15 pm

Programs: legions, foreign and domestic
Chooses not to participate in FlyerTalk any longer because of objection to homophobic comments and lack of concern by staff.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/only-...policy-ft.html

Last edited by inyourvillages; May 3, 2010 at 4:57 pm
Old Mar 3, 2010, 7:32 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by inyourvillages
You probably heard that they're drilling for geothermal power in Saba?
And on Nevis.
--
13F
Old Apr 7, 2010, 12:00 pm

Programs: WN A+CP, UAL, Marriott LTPPE
We are thinking about a 4 or 5 day trip to the Caribbean. Any suggestions for St Thomas maybe?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.