Search

Perfect Island in Caribbean

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2008, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

Perfect Island in Caribbean

Greetings!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...461&highlight=

In a recent topic we talked about islands in the South Pacific (Tahiti, Fiji, etc.). Tahiti islands (Bora Bora, Moorea, etc.) have the most beautiful scenic beaches. I prefer Fiji. Fiji islands offer a nearly comparable island paradise and is less expensive. People speak French on the Tahiti islands. There is minor regional conflict among people on Fiji islands.

I have read good reviews on islands in the Caribbean including Anguilla and U.S. Virgin Islands (St. John). What is the overall best island destination in the Caribbean? Comparable to islands in South Pacific?
Old Jul 29, 2008, 5:48 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Please follow the discussion in our Travel->Caribbean forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 8:48 pm

Honestly, there is nothing comparable to those islands in the Caribbean. That's why people spend all that money and time to fly out there.

That doesn't mean you can't find beautiful islands in the Caribbean, you certainly can.

St. John and Saba rate high for great views and scenery and certainly can make you feel like your away from it all. Take a look or search the Luxury hotels forum and you'll see some high end resorts that can rival some of the best in the world.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 9:40 am

Programs: AA EXP, MM; UA 2P
Originally Posted by fykodha
Greetings!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...461&highlight=

In a recent topic we talked about islands in the South Pacific (Tahiti, Fiji, etc.). Tahiti islands (Bora Bora, Moorea, etc.) have the most beautiful scenic beaches. I prefer Fiji. Fiji islands offer a nearly comparable island paradise and is less expensive. People speak French on the Tahiti islands. There is minor regional conflict among people on Fiji islands.

I have read good reviews on islands in the Caribbean including Anguilla and U.S. Virgin Islands (St. John). What is the overall best island destination in the Caribbean? Comparable to islands in South Pacific?
St Lucia in the area of the Pitons comes closest in the Caribbean to looking like a South Pacific island. You mention people speaking French and I'm not sure if you see that as a plus or a minus--people in St Lucia speak a patois that is heavily based on French, but everyone also speaks and understands English. St Lucia has excellent beaches (although not the very best in the Caribbean), great snorkeling, lots of lush green scenery, a drive-in volcano, hot springs (including a hot spring waterfall), and its hilly, winding roads offer some of the most fun driving in the Caribbean. If you've never been to the Caribbean you may find some of the St Lucia people to be a little edgy, in some cases like Jamaicans lite.

Anguilla is a very different island--flat and dry, with beautiful beaches and some highly regarded expensive resorts.

St John is blessed with a huge national park. Some may find it too crowded in the area outside the park, and/or too Americanized. Snorkeling is excellent, and if you want to camp in the Caribbean this island may be your best choice. You certainly don't have to camp: there are well-known high-end properties, and lots of villas to rent. It may be hard to find a really good value middle-range place.

Saba does have great views, snorkeling and diving, and great people, but its lack of a beach puts it lower on most people's list.

Obviously the "overall best island destination in the Caribbean" will depend on what you are seeking. Your overall best island destination may be different than mine.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 10:49 am

Programs: AC E
Harbour Island! It's a small island off the northeastern tip of Eleuthera, reachable only by water taxi or private yacht, and the pink sand beach on the eastern shore of the island is simply spectacular. It's a favourite destination for fashion and swimwear photo shoots (the lone tree, located on the northwest part of the island, has had many a model draped over it in its time), and it really does look just like the photos. We spent a wonderful week there, and would return in a heartbeat.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

turks & caicos >

parrot cay has beachfront villas.

the upcoming RC will also have beachfront villas.

the upcoming MO will have some overwater villas, though im not sure theyll be managed by MO.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 6:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards, AA - Plat, HHonors - Gold
Ohioflyer keeps beating me to the reponses so all I can say is ditto with regards to points raised about St. Lucia (may be biased because I am St. Lucian) and Anguilla.

It would be helpful if you included a bit more details of your preferences.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 10:32 am
Original Poster

I enjoy swimming at beautiful beach under clear blue water. Its water is so clear you can see the shadow of things reflected from sunlight under water. The ocean is beautiful especially around sunrise and sunset.
Old Aug 2, 2008, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

every place i have been in the carib has been hot as hell. and usually pretty humid. way too much of it has cruise boat access.

check out peter island.
Old Aug 9, 2008, 8:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by slawecki
every place i have been in the carib has been hot as hell. and usually pretty humid. way too much of it has cruise boat access.
Aruba/Bonaire/Curacao have the constant tradewind which actually diminishes this quite a bit. Also usually only in the 80-90 degrees F range.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 11:17 am
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
Virgin Gorda
Old Aug 10, 2008, 7:17 pm

Programs: LATAM PASS Black Signature, AA EXP 3MM, BA Blue
[QUOTE=slawecki;10137800]every place i have been in the carib has been hot as hell. and usually pretty humid. way too much of it has cruise boat access.

Check out the Grenadines
Old Aug 13, 2008, 10:58 pm

My personal favorite is St. John, hands down. It is most definately more crowded on days that the ships are docked in STT, but you cannot beat Trunk Bay for snorkeling...

For smaller, less populous islands, I also really love Nevis. MUCH less crowded than the USVI, and the moutains rising behind the golf course at the Four Seasons is something I can never get enough of...

Have never been to the South Pacific, but I find it hard to believe that anywhere on earth can be that much more beautiful than the Caribbean.
Old Aug 25, 2008, 5:07 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ohioflyer
Saba does have great views, snorkeling and diving, and great people, but its lack of a beach puts it lower on most people's list.

Obviously the "overall best island destination in the Caribbean" will depend on what you are seeking. Your overall best island destination may be different than mine.
That actually puts it higher on mine, in the sense that it's "lack" of overdeveloped beach front resort props makes it less crowded, etc. and it's lack of a place for cruise ships to park keeps them away, and it's intriguing airstrip keeps big planes away. Def. for everyone, 'tho...if one didn't snorkel, hike, or scuba, than yep, probably not high on the list.
Old Aug 26, 2008, 6:20 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1MM, Global Entry, UA GLD, TSA PRE
definitely check out the Grenadines. I spent a week on Palm Island, which is accessible by boat from Union Island. Pretty amazing. But you also have Canouan, Mustique, Bequia, Mayreau, Petit St. Vincent which are all great for that "middle of nowhere" feel with great views.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.