Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Caribbean and nearby Atlantic including Puerto Rico
Reload this Page >

Taking a cruise: Grand Cayman,want to go snorkeling

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2007, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Our Regent cruise is stopping at Grand Cayman for the day. I'm interested in snorkeling that would take 2 people to a top spot(s) on the island. Ideally, it would take us to several places to snorkel and last several hours. I'm no expert on snorkeling or the Caymans, but I'm looking for something fun to do while there.

The cruise line does offer an excursion to "Sting ray island" or something where you frolic with sting rays on a shallow sand bar.

We would love to snorkel, swim and just take advantage of what the island has to offer. Not sure if you just need to take a taxi to a certain beach,etc and go snorkeling or do you need a boat to take you there.

Your insight is appreciated.
Old Nov 25, 2007, 10:28 am

We've been there twice on cruises.

The first time we did a snorkel trip on a boat to Hamburger Reef booked through the cruise line. This reef was a short distance away from the cruise ship. It was a waste of time, there was not much marine life to see.

The second time we privately booked a trip which included snorkeling at a nice reef and a visit to Stingray City. The snorkeling was excellent with many fish and corals to see. Some of the best snorkeling I have done in my life.

If you book through the cruise line you will pay more and receive less. The cruise line takes a big cut of all excursions they book.

The tour operator we used for our snorkel trip was called Native Way, they are on the internet, we would use them again. I forget the prices but it was roughly half the cost of the snorkel trips booked through the cruise line, something like $100.00 if you book through the cruise line and $50.00 if you book it privately.

The downside of booking excursions privately is if your excursion is late returning to the cruise ship, the ship will leave without you. Just make sure you are scheduled to be back at the cruise ship 2 hours before it leaves and you will be fine.

The other factor to consider is getting off your cruise ship in time to make it to your excursion. Boats tender offshore in the Caymans rather than docking at a pier. People on tours booked through the cruise line get priority for tendering. Make sure you are on one of the first tenders off the boat so you can make it to your excursion on time, we almost missed ours.
Old Nov 25, 2007, 2:03 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Please follow this thread in our Caribbean forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Nov 27, 2007, 5:29 pm

Programs: US dirt (from CP), Marriott Rewards Gold, Hilton HHonors Diamond??, Avis First, Hertz #1 Club Gold
Depending on the amount of time you have available, I'd suggest going with Captain Marvin's. We use them every year when we're there (staying on the island), and have done both the half- and full-day trips numerous times. Now, we also will go out and do our own thing - like taking the car to a known spot or even just stopping on the side of the road on the drive out to the East End, but if you're working on a timeframe I think you'd be better off going with an organized tour.
Old Nov 27, 2007, 6:31 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I haven't been to Grand Cayman in a while. But, I'd recommend Eden Rocks. You can get there on your own; it's close to George Town. As I recall the entry is quite easy. I did a shore dive there and spent most of my time in about 6 feet of water. The dive was about 90 minutes and we never did run out of air. It is really gorgeous. If you have snorkeled before, this should be an easy one.

I also recall diving there and seeing a swarm of folks from a cruise ship. There must have been 30 folks all crowded up snorkeling. I'm not sure how anyone could see anything.

If you are in Cayman for only a day, I'm not sure how you'd snorkel more than one spot.

Stingray City is fun. I've only done it as a dive. It's a bit of a drive to where the entries are. I don't think this is one you can do on your own.
Old Nov 30, 2007, 6:47 am

You could do Sting Ray City and Edens Rock in one day easily. You walk to Edens Rock from the cruise ship dock-there are wonderful fish there, barracuda, parrot fish, large tarpon, and the usual Caribbean suspects. Jump right in off the shore. Then take a taxi to Cap Marvins, get on his boat our to Sting Ray sandbar. Or reverse depending on when the boat leaves.
Old Dec 3, 2007, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for all the great advice!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.