Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Caribbean and nearby Atlantic including Puerto Rico
Reload this Page >

Honeymoon in Aruba or Grand Cayman in June 08?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2007, 8:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT (MM), UA 1K, Marriott Ti, IHG Diamond

After deciding that the south of france is no longer an option (Euro will probably be 0.5 to the dollar by then, lol) I am looking at the Caribbean... I live in DC so it's closer than hawaii, and I really don't want to spend that much time flying...

Anyway, I am wondering what is considered the "nicer" destination, aruba or grand cayman for a honeymoon in June?

Looking for:
1) Nice beaches
2) Nice restaurants
3) Nice weather
Old Nov 7, 2007, 11:51 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Congratulations!!! Number one question - are you and your fiancé(e) divers or interested in diving? What about snorkeling?

I can only speak to Grand Cayman, and it was 2004 when I was there for a week-long dive trip, but 7 Mile Beach is beautiful and the diving is world class all around. Stingray City is a famous dive/snorkel that you can do there. IIRC, it's pretty toasty there in the summer, but certainly nothing unbearable. A rental car is very helpful for getting around and a must if you are staying in more remote areas. Definitely good food to be had as well!

I have heard a few people express concerns about crime in Aruba - a friend was just there and had his new PDA stolen - but have not been there myself.

Happy to give you more info on GC diving if you are interested!
Old Nov 8, 2007, 6:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dstan
Congratulations!!! Number one question - are you and your fiancé(e) divers or interested in diving? What about snorkeling?

I can only speak to Grand Cayman, and it was 2004 when I was there for a week-long dive trip, but 7 Mile Beach is beautiful and the diving is world class all around. Stingray City is a famous dive/snorkel that you can do there. IIRC, it's pretty toasty there in the summer, but certainly nothing unbearable. A rental car is very helpful for getting around and a must if you are staying in more remote areas. Definitely good food to be had as well!

I have heard a few people express concerns about crime in Aruba - a friend was just there and had his new PDA stolen - but have not been there myself.

Happy to give you more info on GC diving if you are interested!
Thanks for the response... We are NOT divers... As for location, we would most likely stay at the Ritz Carlton in Grand Cayman if we went... If we go to Aruba, I think we'd stay at the Hyatt...
Old Nov 8, 2007, 6:46 am

I've been to Aruba (stayed at the Marriott Surf club) and will be heading to Grand Cayman later this month. I did not have anything stolen or any problems with crime when I was there. If no one else offers a comparison then I will try to remember to do one for you once I get back from GCM.

One thing to consider is that June is start of hurricane season and Aruba is generally out of the path of most Atlantic hurricanes while Grand Cayman gets hit with much higher frequency.
Old Nov 8, 2007, 7:07 am

Programs: US dirt (from CP), Marriott Rewards Gold, Hilton HHonors Diamond??, Avis First, Hertz #1 Club Gold
June is indeed the start of hurricane season, but even then it's still a little early for Grand Cayman. We spent our honeymoon there in late June 2001, and have been back in June almost every other year since then, and haven't had any troubles. I've never been to Aruba, so I can't compare - but we fell in love with Grand Cayman the first time and have not seen the need to go anywhere else.

The RC is enjoyable - we stayed there last year, but we find that we prefer the quiet of the East End so we stay out that way most of the time. I didn't have the Amex Plat yet last year, but I believe that you should be able to find a reasonable FHR rate at the RC.

You will not find yourself lacking for fine restaurants, but I'd suggest that to find a couple of our favorites, you'll need a car. You can check out this post of mine to find out about one restaurant we make sure to visit at least once every time we're there. There is also a wonderful, wonderful dining experience to be had with Chef Roland - a "pay what you feel the meal is worth" place that's actually housed in Roland's backyard, which might seem quirky, but it's truly one of our favorites. Roland is a classically trained chef from Germany, and puts together combinations of hearty European and light island dishes that are truly fantastic.

You've come to the right forum - TomCayman has a wealth of knowledge and should be able to help you understand all of the opportunities that GCM offers!
Old Nov 8, 2007, 9:42 am
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by bankingconsultant
June is indeed the start of hurricane season, but even then it's still a little early for Grand Cayman.
Yes, here's a great website with historical hurricane data:

Grand Cayman peak
Aruba peak

Grand Cayman all
Aruba all

Of course, trip insurance is a must!
Old Nov 8, 2007, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by whlinder
I've been to Aruba (stayed at the Marriott Surf club) and will be heading to Grand Cayman later this month. I did not have anything stolen or any problems with crime when I was there. If no one else offers a comparison then I will try to remember to do one for you once I get back from GCM.

One thing to consider is that June is start of hurricane season and Aruba is generally out of the path of most Atlantic hurricanes while Grand Cayman gets hit with much higher frequency.
Yes, I saw that, and the weather is one of the most important things to us... We want sunny clear skies and clear water

What did you think of Aruba? Is it a nice place? Are there plenty of luxury "things" to do there? What would you compare it to?

BTW, I'm surprised how CHEAP airfare is! Looks like $300 AI to GCM and $450 AI to Aruba! (Although I'm probably just going to use miles and get 2 business/first class tix)

Originally Posted by bankingconsultant
June is indeed the start of hurricane season, but even then it's still a little early for Grand Cayman. We spent our honeymoon there in late June 2001, and have been back in June almost every other year since then, and haven't had any troubles. I've never been to Aruba, so I can't compare - but we fell in love with Grand Cayman the first time and have not seen the need to go anywhere else.

The RC is enjoyable - we stayed there last year, but we find that we prefer the quiet of the East End so we stay out that way most of the time. I didn't have the Amex Plat yet last year, but I believe that you should be able to find a reasonable FHR rate at the RC.

You will not find yourself lacking for fine restaurants, but I'd suggest that to find a couple of our favorites, you'll need a car. You can check out this post of mine to find out about one restaurant we make sure to visit at least once every time we're there. There is also a wonderful, wonderful dining experience to be had with Chef Roland - a "pay what you feel the meal is worth" place that's actually housed in Roland's backyard, which might seem quirky, but it's truly one of our favorites. Roland is a classically trained chef from Germany, and puts together combinations of hearty European and light island dishes that are truly fantastic.

You've come to the right forum - TomCayman has a wealth of knowledge and should be able to help you understand all of the opportunities that GCM offers!
Thanks for all the information! What's the weather like in June? Having warm, sunny tropical weather is important...

BTW, FHR for the RC seems to be decent:

A room upgrade when available, upon check-in.
Daily continental breakfast for up to two people.
Guaranteed four o'clock p.m. late check-out.
Customized Special Amenity = US$100 resort credit to be used during your stay.

Rate is the same as the rc website though, $729 per night...
Old Nov 9, 2007, 7:30 am

Programs: US dirt (from CP), Marriott Rewards Gold, Hilton HHonors Diamond??, Avis First, Hertz #1 Club Gold
Originally Posted by technique
Thanks for all the information! What's the weather like in June? Having warm, sunny tropical weather is important...
Oh, that you should have, and in abundance. In our experience, it's typically in the mid 80's to low 90's during the day and high 70's to low 80's at night throughout June. Tropical breezes are aplenty, although I seem to think you feel them more on the easterly side of the island and on the drive out to the East End from the airport, but you still get them coming through on Seven Mile Beach.
Old Nov 12, 2007, 1:09 pm

Programs: continental united starwood hilton marriott
aruba has the same basic wealther year round, beautiful..in fact there is no weather report in local papers. highly reccomend it, good restaurants, great beach friendly people, as much or as little to do as you would want
Old Nov 12, 2007, 6:44 pm
msv
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've been to both islands and my vote would be for Aruba. There is more to do and the weather is normally pretty consistant. The town is nice and it's never overrun by cruise ships.
Old Nov 12, 2007, 6:49 pm
Original Poster

Done!!! I've booked the Hyatt in Aruba in June 2008! I'm excited about this trip, should be awesome!! Now I need to start to plan the daily activities
Old Dec 7, 2007, 10:55 am

Here I go and try to remember this thread after finishing my GCM trip, and the OP has gone and booked his trip!
Old Dec 7, 2007, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by whlinder
Here I go and try to remember this thread after finishing my GCM trip, and the OP has gone and booked his trip!
I'd still love to hear about your GCM trip... I love to take vacations and GCM sounds fabulous... Details please!
Old Dec 9, 2007, 11:24 am

Done!!! I've booked the Hyatt in Aruba in June 2008! I'm excited about this trip, should be awesome!! Now I need to start to plan the daily activities
I would chose Cayman over Aruba anytime.

Cayman has far better restaurants, more interresting swimming/beaches, way better golf and is just far more civilized than Aruba. Besides, it's closer(to NA), so you'll save three or four hours of travel time.

While I would stay away from the Westin in Cayman (good location, terrible service), the Hyatt (pricey), the Ritz Carlton (pricier), and even some of the smaller chain hotels, are excellent value.
Old Dec 10, 2007, 8:15 am

I'd still love to hear about your GCM trip... I love to take vacations and GCM sounds fabulous... Details please!
We stayed at the Marriott for 4 nights; resort was nice enough. Loved the soft sand on the beach. I've never been anywhere that you could walk out into the ocean without needing water shoes, but the sand was so soft that I could. Weather was great, snorkling was great. So many gorgeous fish swimming amongst the reefs close to shore. Dining I felt was not as good as Aruba and far more expensive. I would have liked to do a snorkling expedition but did not have time to do more than snorkle close to shore.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.