Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Time to SXM, Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2007, 7:10 am

Programs: AA EXP, MM; UA 2P
Originally Posted by Joelle
French side ATM's are the most reliable ???
Waouh !!!
Yes, and those at La Poste are the most reliable of all!
Old Oct 22, 2007, 7:19 am

La Poste ? Of course ?
The state-owned banks always work better than private ones!!!!
Old Oct 28, 2007, 1:41 am
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Just ran across this thread - we were in SXM in 2005. Stayed on the French side at the Grand Case Beach Club - lots of good restaurants right down the street. Dove off the Dutch side with AquaMania/DiveAdventures. The diving is ok, with a decent reef and a few small wrecks, but as stated by others here, it's way better in Saba! We took "The Edge" high-speed ferry. Note that it can be a rough ride - if you're prone to seasickness, try sitting out back or standing along the side - look for flying fish following the boat! In Saba, we dove with SabaDivers (free nitrox) and there are two other dive shops on the island, all situated right down at the marina - have also heard good things about SeaSaba. Lots to see for beginners and advanced divers alike, although the reef was still recovering from a hurricane back when we were there. After two dives, you won't have time to see the island if you leave on the PM ferry. Also of interest for FTers, the famous landings at SXM right over the beach - hold onto your beach towels! Enjoy!
Old Oct 29, 2007, 4:59 am

Regarding diving, is there any good Dive Center close to the Grand Case Beach club?
Old Oct 29, 2007, 8:50 am

Programs: AA EXP, MM; UA 2P
Regarding diving, is there any good Dive Center close to the Grand Case Beach club?
AFAIK, Grand Case Beach Club has its own PADI-certified dive center. You should be able to see Creole Rock, a favorite dive site, from your room. If I'm wrong about this (the dive center, not the view) there is definitely Octoplus a short walk walk away in the village.
Old Oct 29, 2007, 12:13 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Haven't been there since 05 as I said, but at that time, the dive center associated with Grand Case was closed/had moved. There may still be other dive shops nearby on the French side, though. My girlfriend, now Mrs. dstan, decided to snorkel out to Creole Rock and back one day - it's almost a mile each way - she's a heck of a swimmer! Just be sure to watch out for boats! The beach at Grand Case is beautiful and we enjoyed many breakfasts on the deck.

Last edited by dstan; Oct 29, 2007 at 12:21 pm Reason: dive center might have moved, not closed
Old Nov 27, 2007, 2:49 am

After accomodation, now it will be restaurant search...

From what I could gather in this thread...

Le Ti Coin Creole, Grand Case
L’Auberge Gourmande
Le Cottage

Wajang Doll
Claude Mini-Club

Lolos:
Talk of the Town
Mark's Place

Does anyone have other recommendations????

Many thanks in advance.

Last edited by Joelle; Dec 11, 2007 at 2:49 am
Old Nov 28, 2007, 8:01 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
After accomodation, now it will be restaurant search...

From what I could gather in this thread...

Le Ti Coin Creole, Grand Case
L’Auberge Gourmande

Does anyone have other recommendations????
Wajang Doll for Indonesian rijstaffel in downtown Phillipsburg
http://www.caribbeanedge.com/st_maar...jang_doll.html

Seemed like a huge tourist trap but had a surprisingly good meal at Claude Mini-Club, an open air terrace restaurant on the beach in downtown Marigot, they have live entertainment on Wednesdays and Saturdays, with "all you can eat" lobster buffet which as stated was surprisingly good.

while driving around, you'll also see roadside BBQ grill stands selling grilled chicken, seafood, and beer/refreshments, cheap and delicious.^

--
Old Nov 28, 2007, 9:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Plat, NW Plat
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
have to watch times when diving and flying,

how long does the ferry take between St Maarten and Saba? anyone know cost ?
If you let the pilot know you've been diving, they will keep it low enough so that it doesn't cause you problems. I did exactly this upon leaving Saba after diving all day. They were more than happy to oblige, and told me that they get that request quite often.
Old Dec 6, 2007, 12:59 pm
pbz

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by dstan
Haven't been there since 05 as I said, but at that time, the dive center associated with Grand Case was closed/had moved. There may still be other dive shops nearby on the French side, though.
There is an activities desk @ GCBC (on the beach that rents/loans equipment like sailboats or jetskis or whatever) and also a little kiosk in town, on the inland side of the street, situated in a parking lot possibly near Pressoir(my memory might be wrong on the exact location). I bet either one of them could hook you up w/diving.
Old Dec 7, 2007, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by pbz
There is an activities desk @ GCBC (on the beach that rents/loans equipment like sailboats or jetskis or whatever) and also a little kiosk in town, on the inland side of the street, situated in a parking lot possibly near Pressoir(my memory might be wrong on the exact location). I bet either one of them could hook you up w/diving.
As you're walking from Grand Case Beach Club into town, there is a dive shop on the left side of the street just before you get to the 'main' section of the street. It's just before you get to Le Ti Coin Creole. I know it's there, but other than that, I know nothing about it.

As far as restaurants, Le Ti Coin Creole is ok, but we were a little disappointed in the meal we had last week. He was out of the fish (this was early Friday night), and the chicken was a little dry and overcooked. The curry goat was good. L'Auberge Gourmande is perhaps my favorite in Grand Case - we ate there twice. Le Cottage is also really good. For good, cheaper food, the Lolos in the center of town offer more food than you need for a good price (for example, the 'Plate of Food' at Talk of the Town was 8 euros for a good portion of ribs and came with three hearty side dishes, I think the grilled fish was similarly priced).

Last edited by MichaelCharlie; Dec 7, 2007 at 7:10 am Reason: spelling
Old Dec 7, 2007, 7:38 am

Thanks for the additional info.
I have updated my list! ^
Old Dec 10, 2007, 9:10 pm
pbz

Programs: AA Gold
Speaking of food, if you enjoy the lolos, one other place you might enjoy is Mark's Place. It's a step higher in terms of ambience and food quality, they have a real nice bar, and Mark is REAL ST. MARTIN, from before St. Martin was like it is now. The location isn't nearly as quaint as his old place out in the sticks, BUT, you will not get better ribs anywhere on the island. Or, if you're lucky, he'll have conch stew. Mark's Place is on the south side of the road as you head west out of Philipsburg (towards the airport), just before the big intersection (which I think is a roundabout now). He's in the parking lot with the big supermarket which is called Grand March or something like that. Bottom line, reasonable priced and delicious food in a casual atmosphere. Check it out.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 2:50 am

Thanks for the tip!
List is updated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.