Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Time to SXM, Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2007, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: US GP (used to be *G, now,what)
First Time to SXM, Suggestions?

Heading down on US to SXM for a November 4.5 day stay.

We'll be staying on the Dutch side, but looking for ideas and help.

Do we need to rent a car on the island?
We'd like to snorkel and possibly scuba for a day or two... good sights?

Food or hotel suggestions? We're on a budget for this one!

Thanks.
Old Aug 23, 2007, 6:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards, AA - Plat, HHonors - Gold
Your visiting one of my favourite destinations, you should have a blast

This thread is a good place to start http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=642329

Glad you mention scuba and snorkelling because St. Maarten (actually Saba) is world class. Saba is a small island just off St. Maarten - part of the Dutch Antilles). You MUST hop across for a day of what may turn out to be the best diving you have ever experienced.

With regards to dining, as I said in the original post (see thread) options are limitless but for the best dining visit the french side - a village name Grand Casse you won't regret it. Will there are many small restaurant I enjoy eating from the street vendors. Dutch side has some great places also, too many to name but I really don't think you could go wrong.

If there is anything else I can help you with do let me know.

I am sure others will offer additional insight.

Do enjoy St. Maarten and Enjoy myCaribbean.

One last thing, if you have the time take a day trip over to Anguilla and visit Scilly Key (restaurant on a small Caye) best grilled lobster and rum punch I ever had, be sure to tell the owners Sandra and Eudoxie "Gorgeous" Wallace that Johnathan "The Bank Manager" sent you. Maybe it will be good enough for a free rum punch
Old Sep 11, 2007, 6:43 pm
pbz

Programs: AA Gold
Yes--the car is required. Echo the PP on dinner in Grand Case. Hopefully the "budget" includes a good hundred bucks for dinner on at least one or two of those nights. It'll be the best hundy you ever spent. Check out L'Auberge Gourmande. Or just walk along the strip, shop menus, and pick whatever place grabs you. If you go a little early you might get lucky and get a teaser offer of a free drink or something to get you in the door and get the night started. The pace is much faster on the Dutch side; we wind up spending 80%+ of our time on the French side which is more relaxing. But it's all relative, considering that the island as a whole is bustling compared to what it was even 10 years ago...
Oh ya, tip: bring cash for the French side, so you do not get victimized by the exchange rate. Many restaurants give 1 euro for $1 which makes it more reasonable. ^
Old Sep 12, 2007, 8:50 am

Programs: AA EXP, MM; UA 2P
There is a lot less of 1 Euro = 1 Dollar in Grand Case this year, compared to the last several years. I am sure there is no shortage of American tourists who still expect this, and feel they are being cheated if they do not receive it. When this became so popular a few years ago, I wondered if the restaurants had simply raised their prices to compensate. But a Grand Case restaurateur friend (now back in France) assured me no: American tourists usually tipped 15 - 20% and the business wasn't hit with the 3% credit card fee, people paying in Euros left a Euro or two, and things came out pretty even. The dollar's continued slide coupled with some new ownerships has obviously changed this.

The parking lot in Grand Case is still doing 1 Euro = 1 Dollar, so definitely bring cash for that.

P.S.
I agree that L'Auberge Gourmand is a quality dining experience, and has been for many years. It is closer to what you might find in France (or Guadeloupe) than some of the other Grand Case restaurants, which appear to be Disneyfied versions of what an American who has never been to France thinks a French restaurant should be.
Old Sep 15, 2007, 1:30 pm
pbz

Programs: AA Gold
For what it's worth I'd say half of the places (not counting lolos) do have the 1e=$1 -- as of about 5 months ago anyway. But I did not do an exhaustive study

On Auberge Gourmande my only tip is to either go on a night when the street is closed, or else get a table on the inside, that way the traffic/noise does not disturb you. Even still it's a great place.

OP didn't say what the budget was but another place that was very enjoyable but slightly less expensive was Le Ti Coin Creole, on the road to GCBC.

La California can also be had for not a ton of money (lunch, pizzas or similar for dinner) altho my suspicion is (new ownership etc) it might be falling a bit.
Old Sep 16, 2007, 7:16 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by johannesj
Saba is a small island just off St. Maarten
I guess one could say that but it is not that close, not like the proximity of Nevis and St Kitts.

Is there ferry service between St Maarten and Saba or what would be the mode of transportation?

--
Old Sep 16, 2007, 7:22 am

There is regular ferry service between St Maarten and Saba. And an even more exciting airplane ride.
Old Sep 17, 2007, 12:36 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ohioflyer
There is regular ferry service between St Maarten and Saba. And an even more exciting airplane ride.
have to watch times when diving and flying,

how long does the ferry take between St Maarten and Saba? anyone know cost ?
Old Sep 17, 2007, 12:48 pm

There are two ferry companies that run between the Dutch side of SXM and Saba, and between them I think the ferry goes 6 days a week. Ferry takes about 75 minutes (it is faster one way than the other). Cost should be about $60 roundtrip. When arriving at SXM check for the touristy-type magazines in the arrivals hall; these sometimes have discount coupons for the Saba ferry.

The ferry is aimed at daytrippers to Saba, so it is not well-timed for arriving/departing SXM on the same day.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 5:38 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards, AA - Plat, HHonors - Gold
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
have to watch times when diving and flying,

how long does the ferry take between St Maarten and Saba? anyone know cost ?
You should find all your ferry answers here http://www.caribbean-activities.com/...htm?c143.htm&1

I have taken them before and enjoyed my trip but I must say that I prefer flying to Saba. Not for the faint at heart.

http://www.fly-winair.com/
Old Oct 22, 2007, 6:28 am

We should be going to St Martin in January and will plan to bring US Dollars along. Being from the Euro zone, I would not like the fact to be applied a 1 Euro = 1 USD conversion rate....

Do restaurants easily accept credit cards?
Old Oct 22, 2007, 6:33 am

Yes, credit cards are almost universally accepted at SXM restaurants. Even a few of the lolos (informal, outdoor BBQ places) accept them. But I think the coconut man who sells coconuts from his truck does not.

Enjoy SXM!
Old Oct 22, 2007, 6:40 am

I totally agree that Mr Coconut Man or even a lolo won't accept credit cards!

All this Euro/Dollar crazy situation will make me ask another question: what type of money is supplied by ATM's ??? Euros or Dollars (or Nederlandse Guilders) ???
Old Oct 22, 2007, 6:54 am

ATMs on the French side dispense Euros. They have a high degree of reliability.

ATMs on the Dutch side dispense your choice of US dollars or Netherlands Antilles guilders. They are much less reliable (often out of service) and there are persistent reports of transactions debiting twice and other irregularities.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 7:01 am

French side ATM's are the most reliable ???
Waouh !!!

Your feedback on the Dutch side one is pretty bad...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.