Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Caribbean and nearby Atlantic including Puerto Rico
Reload this Page >

How long in advance to get to airport in SJU?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How long in advance to get to airport in SJU?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2007, 6:12 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Priority Club Plat, AAdvantage, Delta Skymiles, others including Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by ohioflyer
Yes, all of SJU is connected airside. It is a long walk from AA world to the other carriers' gates, or vice versa, but you don't have to reclear security. For refreshments, the non-AA gates have the better value concessions.

The good news about the luggage is that other passengers will not be able to leave with it, since luggage is checked against claim stickers as passengers leave the terminal. At AA, it would be probably be pulled off the carrousel and left at their Baggage Services station. Can't say what other carriers would do, but presumably something similar. There are many reports of theft from luggage in SJU. Transiting there 4-6 times each year I have only ever lost luggage tags, which have inexplicably been removed on two occasions.

Thanks so much for that information! This is a silly question no doubt, but all airlines share the same baggage area? And, would it make any sense to let her airline know in advance that it will be a while before she gets the baggage?

Years ago friends of mine had things stolen out of their luggage there. I went ahead and bought the TSA approved locks, just due to her luggage sitting a while... not sure it will help deter anything else... but glad to read about your 'just tags' experience, guess I should suggest she pack a couple extra!
Old Jul 30, 2007, 6:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, CM Gold, IHG Gold
[QUOTE=SharonLPK;8146438]Thanks so much for that information! This is a silly question no doubt, but all airlines share the same baggage area? And, would it make any sense to let her airline know in advance that it will be a while before she gets the baggage?

AA has one baggage area, while all the other airlines share the second one. They are not connected, and the exits are at either ends of the airport. So if she waits for her friend, make sure she doesn't walk downstairs outside of the AA gates, as they are sterile areas.

As for the bags, they usually just set them off to one side under supervision.

Good Luck.
Old Jul 30, 2007, 6:46 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Priority Club Plat, AAdvantage, Delta Skymiles, others including Amtrak Guest Rewards
Well, that makes me a bit nervous... but I'm glad for the information!

How would you suggest she do this then? Wait for her friends at the AA gate, then while they go to their baggage claim, she walks back to Terminal B's baggage area, and have the friends get the taxi at their exit and pick her up at her exit?

Thanks for more help, if I was there too it wouldn't matter, we'd just figure everything out at the time
Old Jul 30, 2007, 8:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MM; UA 2P
Originally Posted by SharonLPK
Well, that makes me a bit nervous... but I'm glad for the information!

How would you suggest she do this then? Wait for her friends at the AA gate, then while they go to their baggage claim, she walks back to Terminal B's baggage area, and have the friends get the taxi at their exit and pick her up at her exit?

Thanks for more help, if I was there too it wouldn't matter, we'd just figure everything out at the time
I predict a lack of enthusiasm from the taxi personnel for this plan.
Better to have your whole party together, and then get a cab.

Last edited by ohioflyer; Jul 30, 2007 at 8:50 pm Reason: spelling
Old Jul 31, 2007, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by ohioflyer
I predict a lack of enthusiasm from the taxi personnel for this plan.
Better to have your whole party together, and then get a cab.
I understand... I'm just not sure how to most easily make that happen, don't think there is any central area for them to meet after getting all their luggage? I had originally thought she could get her luggage, rent a cart [ha, she would most definitely need the cart], and then meet them at their gate -- and then remembered security issues. She is the last-minute add-on to the group, and we had to make the NW reservation at half the price of American!
Old Jul 31, 2007, 6:25 am

I understand... I'm just not sure how to most easily make that happen, don't think there is any central area for them to meet after getting all their luggage? I had originally thought she could get her luggage, rent a cart [ha, she would most definitely need the cart], and then meet them at their gate -- and then remembered security issues. She is the last-minute add-on to the group, and we had to make the NW reservation at half the price of American!
Well, all of the unmistakable no-mistake-about-it meeting places are back upstairs in the checkin area. There are fast food places and a few chairs in the area before security, making it a more comfortable place to wait than hanging out with the taxi dispatchers. So everyone could collect their luggage and proceed upstairs (follow the signs or get directions to the Best Western, which is inside the airport at the entrance to AA checkin). Everyone would have to get back downstairs again to get a cab (people staying at the hotel do this all of the time, so it's no big deal). Not the simplest solution, and someone else might have a better idea, but it's straightforward in having completely definable landmarks (such as the Best Western or airport check-in desks) rather than features that repeat themselves in the labyrinth downstairs.
Old Jul 31, 2007, 12:11 pm

That sounds like a good plan, I really appreciate your suggestion(s)!!

Do you know if there are alot of baggage carts for rent, and can they be used in the scenario you have suggested?
Old Jul 31, 2007, 12:30 pm

That sounds like a good plan, I really appreciate your suggestion(s)!!

Do you know if there are alot of baggage carts for rent, and can they be used in the scenario you have suggested?
I know that SJU has baggage carts inside the customs/immigration hall but I don't remember ever seeing them by the carrousels where luggage from stateside comes out. They may or may not be there--hope someone else can help us with this--I've just never needed them, or noticed them. There are elevators (and a luggage escalator) between the different levels, so it really shouldn't be too difficult.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 8:24 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Not to revive, a zombie thread, but the fam is heading down to SJU for spring break. Our return is 6:45 AM on CO. I'd imagine that is too early for the cruise ship influx, but I'd like to gauge a proper airport arrival time. BTW, I'm Star Gold so if that helps speed the airport screening side of the equation...
Old Mar 16, 2010, 8:27 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by ITRADE
Not to revive, a zombie thread, but the fam is heading down to SJU for spring break. Our return is 6:45 AM on CO. I'd imagine that is too early for the cruise ship influx, but I'd like to gauge a proper airport arrival time. BTW, I'm Star Gold so if that helps speed the airport screening side of the equation...
*G is the golden ticket to a short queue. Don't forget to have all your bags x-rayed before check-in. One hour should be enough. Add 15 mins if you are a nervous traveler.
--
13F
Old Mar 4, 2013, 10:15 am

Reviving thread again as it has been a few years. DD is flying back from Spring Break on a Sunday in March departing SJU at 11:25 am. What time is safe for her to arrive at the airport? She will not be checking bags.
Thank you!
Old Mar 6, 2013, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by CherylD
Reviving thread again as it has been a few years. DD is flying back from Spring Break on a Sunday in March departing SJU at 11:25 am. What time is safe for her to arrive at the airport? She will not be checking bags.
Thank you!
To U.S., right? If so, depends on the airline; if AA there are kiosks, but security lines may be backed up. I would say, 60 minutes would be safe.

I just came through last Friday evening, security then was very quick.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 1:04 pm

Thanks Gary - yes to the U.S. via AA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.