Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Caribbean and nearby Atlantic including Puerto Rico
Reload this Page >

How long in advance to get to airport in SJU?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2006, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: WN RR, UA M+, Hilton, Marriott

I'm coordinating a meeting in SJU in January. I've got some attendees who are trying to get out at the end of the day after we finish meeting. They are all travelling back to the US mainland (so no customs). I'd like to get a sense of how long I should advise them to allow from the time they get to the airport until they are at the gate. I've heard 2 hours from a local, (and I know that's pretty typical instructions from the airlines), but I've NEVER taken 2 hours to get from the curb to the gate anywhere. And yeah, I am a fairly experienced traveller and I do get access to the elite checkin lines, but for a typical non-elite, how long really, does one need from the curb to gate? At least one of the people will be checking bags. Thanks in advance...
Old Dec 1, 2006, 9:35 am

Programs: AA million miler
this is really a crap shoot depending on time of day, day of week, etc,

Saturdays are usually awful- because of all the cruise ship passengers going home- and the extra "saturday only" sections

but it can also be airline dependent- i've seen mobs at AA and CO, nothing at others.

An interesting point- all the concourses are interconnected, airside

so if you see a huge security line at "B" walk over to "C"- it may be no line- and then just walk back airside

i still give it two hours- and once spent an hour in a security line- but if you have no bags to check- or can get boarding passes online or at a kiosk- i'd still allow 90 minutes
Old Dec 1, 2006, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: WN RR, UA M+, Hilton, Marriott
Originally Posted by edgewood
this is really a crap shoot depending on time of day, day of week, etc,

Saturdays are usually awful- because of all the cruise ship passengers going home- and the extra "saturday only" sections

but it can also be airline dependent- i've seen mobs at AA and CO, nothing at others.

An interesting point- all the concourses are interconnected, airside

so if you see a huge security line at "B" walk over to "C"- it may be no line- and then just walk back airside

i still give it two hours- and once spent an hour in a security line- but if you have no bags to check- or can get boarding passes online or at a kiosk- i'd still allow 90 minutes
My attendees will be trying to fly out on a Tuesday evening. Any more specific guidance, given that info?
Old Dec 1, 2006, 1:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards, AA - Plat, HHonors - Gold
Totally agree with edgewood, however since you pointed out that they leave on Tuesday evening I would suggest being at the check in counter 1 hour prior to departure, but again I must stress it is still a huge gamble, too many things can go wrong and worse thing is that they usually do.
Old Dec 1, 2006, 5:10 pm

one hour prior to departure?

you must really love that adrenaline high!

are we factoring in "gate closing times" of 10,20, or even 30 minutes before scheduled departure?

given that, tuesday evening should be quieter....but you never know....

and i can't even recommend a place for a decent pre-boarding snack if you do get to the gate early

do let us know what happens!
Old Dec 4, 2006, 12:27 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by COS_Flyer
They are all travelling back to the US mainland (so no customs).
no customs but there is an agriculture screening which can take some time if they are backed up.

I allow an hour curbside if I have no bags to check.
Old Dec 6, 2006, 2:27 pm

I flew out ont he SUnday after Xgiving this year, and walked up to the check in line and walked RIGHT THROUGH security. In all fairness though, there was some sort of conga-line type thing going on, with people watching, and we knew to go for it while it was empty.

so yea, its a crap shoot, but I cant immagine needing 2 hours there
Old Dec 31, 2006, 6:18 pm

It all seems so variable to me at SJU. I've had times where the Agriculture check was 15 minutes, and other times less than 1 minute. The same with security. I have Elite access and sometimes it is straight through and sometimes 20 minutes or more.

I returned from SJU a couple of weeks ago, and from rental car return to gate was about 30 minutes (and it would habe been quicker had I not just missed the rental car shuttle and had to wait for the next one), but I've had it take over an hour.

As someone else posted, things go at a slower pace in Puerto Rico.

Glenn
Old Jan 7, 2007, 4:33 pm

i flew today jfk/sju on DL929 arriving 2pm

i had a connection to the 2:45 Vieques Air Link flite, which necessitates going out past security because VAL does not have an airside counter

(you an avoid the hassle by taking cape air which allows you to check in at the gate)

after taxiing, and walking from the farthest B gate, i got to the VAL counter at 2:30. Fortunately, he was still checking in other people for the same flite so i got on

but- now i had to pass back through security- the line wrapped around itself twice, and snaked back out the door- easily was 60 minutes, maybe more. I noticed it was all "cruise passengers"

i was taken by VAL to the head of the security line and it was still 20 minutes more until i was through! (the far right has the "puffer" machine which i thought was faster- but you still have to take your shoes off after it!)

anyway- it could easily have been a 90-120 minute ordeal given the cruise hordes- so try to avoid saturday and sunday afternoon!
Old Jan 16, 2007, 3:14 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by edgewood
i was taken by VAL to the head of the security line and it was still 20 minutes more until i was through! (the far right has the "puffer" machine which i thought was faster- but you still have to take your shoes off after it!)
The last time I went through SJU (end Nov), the ID checker advised me to avoid the puffer line. It was a shorter line, but moves much slower.
--
13F
Old Jan 17, 2007, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sat and Sun are the longest/slowest days and breakfast hour is the worst time. On the off times and off days arriving 1 hour before the flight is the minimum time. Personally I arrive at the airport 2 hours before flight time, do the check-in and security drill and have a nice relaxing and enjoyable beer prior to boarding.

MisterNice
Old Jan 24, 2007, 7:05 pm

glutton for punishment that i am, i again was at SJU on sunday afternoon 1/21 for a DL flite to JFK at 2:46 pm

i arrived at 1:15 and checked in immediately (first class, no line)

i then walked to security and found the line, as i feared, backed out to the entry doors. at 2:00 (forty minutes on line and still halfway from security) an agent came looking for people on the flight and brought us up to the front left where there was another entryway with only six or eight people waiting

i was at the gate by 2:20 to find the plane already boarding

so i reiterate, leave lots of time for peak traffic at SJU!!

btw- Delta serves no food in first class on a four hour flight- just the same snack basket as in economy. their site says they will serve a meal if the distance is over 1550 miles- OAG says its 1611- but nada!
Old Jul 30, 2007, 9:39 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Priority Club Plat, AAdvantage, Delta Skymiles, others including Amtrak Guest Rewards
Searched for SJU airport information and found this thread. I was specifically looking to find out how the security checkpoints are set up at this airport. From what I read here, sounds like when my daughter arrives in one terminal/concourse, she'll be able to walk over to another terminal/concourse to wait for her friends' flight without any security concerns. Is this still correct?

Which actually brings me to another question/concern -- she won't get her baggage until the other flight comes in. Will be a minimum of 1-1/2 hours before her flight lands and the other one does. What will happen to her luggage, is this going to be a problem?

Thanks for your help.
Old Jul 30, 2007, 11:37 am

Programs: AA EXP, MM; UA 2P
Yes, all of SJU is connected airside. It is a long walk from AA world to the other carriers' gates, or vice versa, but you don't have to reclear security. For refreshments, the non-AA gates have the better value concessions.

The good news about the luggage is that other passengers will not be able to leave with it, since luggage is checked against claim stickers as passengers leave the terminal. At AA, it would be probably be pulled off the carrousel and left at their Baggage Services station. Can't say what other carriers would do, but presumably something similar. There are many reports of theft from luggage in SJU. Transiting there 4-6 times each year I have only ever lost luggage tags, which have inexplicably been removed on two occasions.
Old Jul 30, 2007, 11:46 am

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
I can't overemphasize the cruise ship comment enough. Imagine 6,000 people all moving as slow as dirt with enough luggage to live for two months (slight exaggeration) trying to check in 6 or more hours before their actual flights depart. Of course, I did this right in the middle of the US reservation system meltdown when they were checking people in via telephone because the computers were kaput. What a nutroll.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.