Wiki Posts
Search

Aruba to Curacao- how to get there

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2005, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

Aruba to Curacao- how to get there

Hi all

I am planning a trip to Aruba next spring and I am interested in making a side trip to Curacao.

Does anyone know if there is any type of ferry/boat service from Aruba to Curacao? The only method of transportation I have seen is to fly, and since there are 5 of us, the cost makes it a bit prohibitive.

I found some info on a ferry from Curacao to Bonaire (which apparently no longer runs) but nothing between Curacao and Aruba.

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 22, 2005, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Probably is none, as the waves are pretty big most of the time. An easterly has been blowing around 30mph whenever I have been there. This is the reason most human activity is concentrated on the west side of ABC.

We drove around to the East side of Bonaire once. The rollers were at least 30' high, the wind was about 30 mph. The highway was at least 100, and maybe 200 feet back from the shoreline, but the wave tops completely engulfed the car frequently.
Old Sep 29, 2005, 7:25 am
Original Poster

Thanks. I appreciate your info.

Old Sep 29, 2005, 7:19 pm

When you make flight reservations, bear in mind that only one airline flies between the two islands - BonAire Excel (a/k/a /Dutch Eagle Express) - which uses older ATR-42s, and makes the run about 4 times per day. I just flew AUA-CUR several weeks ago, about a 20 or 25-minute flight from takeoff to touchdown. Flight was tolerable, but very hot (they don't operate the AC on the ground) and crowded (very tight 2-2 seating). Some U.S. travel agents have difficulty booking flights on BonAire. By the way, IMO, the passenger check-in area at airport in CUR (no A/C) has to be the worst in the Caribbean in terms of heat and humidity. You will be soaking wet at the end of the check-in process.
Old Oct 1, 2005, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

for pretty decent information on bonaire:

http://bonairereporter.com/

Links to the local airlines, bonaire express, and divi divi can be found.
Old Oct 1, 2005, 3:59 pm

I forgot to mention that there is a $32 per person departure tax at AUA for flights to CUR. (There is none if you are flying back to U.S. from AUA - I suppose this is to promote tourism with the U.S.) Also, you will pay a departure tax at CUR for flights departing from that island. I don't recall the amount.
Old Oct 26, 2007, 1:09 pm

Old thread I know but better than starting a new one.

I am looking at going to Bonaire from LAX but cannot find decent award flights. NWA wants 200,000 miles and I must route through AMS (Could be fun). I can get to AUA on UA for 35,000 miles but the flights from AUA-BON are more expensive than LAX-BON. Does anyone have any advise? I can't seem to find much info. Thanks.
Old Oct 26, 2007, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MM; UA 2P
Originally Posted by rc408
Old thread I know but better than starting a new one.

I am looking at going to Bonaire from LAX but cannot find decent award flights. NWA wants 200,000 miles and I must route through AMS (Could be fun). I can get to AUA on UA for 35,000 miles but the flights from AUA-BON are more expensive than LAX-BON. Does anyone have any advise? I can't seem to find much info. Thanks.
Have you checked award availability on AA? Since Eagle flies to BON 5-7 times a week (depending on time of year) it may be your best bet, and then some kind of Coupon Connection transaction if you don't have points sitting somewhere that can become AA miles.

When are you going? Delta starts flying to BON in February, once a week, or says they are. I've found award availability on the new Delta flights to the Caribbean to be good (but then they also cancel or delay some of these announced services).

Regret I don't have any hints about getting a lower fare from AUA-BON, except that I'd guess that CUR-BON flights would be cheaper. Doesn't help you, I know, if you can't easily get to Curacao.

Good luck!
Old Oct 26, 2007, 6:53 pm

Thanks Ohioflyer. I found fares for about $400 r/t on DAE AUA-BON but that is still too high. I'll have to look into the coupon connect, I always forget about that. I wouldn't mind going LAX-AMS-BON with about a week stopover in AMS It's just not worth 200,000 NW miles when I could get to AMS on UA for 50,000 and just go to BZE or AUA for 35,000.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.