Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aruba Travel Advice

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2013, 8:56 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
at AUA airport, there are two kiosks that have cell phone rentals or offer chips for an existing phone: Setar (look at visitor's tab on their webpage) & Digicel

While I can't imagine AUA being a difficult airport to understand/get around, here is a youtube vid about arriving: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dADRE9kZ8_U

-
Old Dec 27, 2013, 6:01 pm

Willie:

Since I saw your first post on rijstaffel, I've been racking my brain trying to come up with the name of the place I had it.

It was years ago - but looking at the two you posted, it was neither of them. At this point, I'm almost convinced it was on a trip two years later to Curaçao.

Agreed, it's a fabulous meal - I could have passed on the curried goat though.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by LowlyDLsilver
I could have passed on the curried goat though.
differences make the world go round, Mrs Willie & I are big fans of most any goat dish.
Willie:

Since I saw your first post on rijstaffel, I've been racking my brain trying to come up with the name of the place I had it.
I appreciate the effort^, another FTer came up with Yami Yami being a possible restaurant.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 3:10 pm

I wasn't averse to eating it Willie, but this particular goat was a prize fighter, tough, and stringy enough to make rope out of. The chef didn't stand a chance with this beast for raw material.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 6:14 am

I wasn't averse to eating it Willie, but this particular goat was a prize fighter, tough, and stringy enough to make rope out of. The chef didn't stand a chance with this beast for raw material.
Seriously a bummer, Mrs & I had a goat stew that would have easily compared to the finest beef stews in terms of richness of flavor & tenderness of the meat itself.

Hello from Aruba, full trip report to follow a few days after we get back home on Jan 7th
Old Jan 5, 2014, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
Seriously a bummer, Mrs & I had a goat stew that would have easily compared to the finest beef stews in terms of richness of flavor & tenderness of the meat itself.

Hello from Aruba, full trip report to follow a few days after we get back home on Jan 7th
Will be looking forward to it, thanks
Old Jan 6, 2014, 10:23 am

You should be looking at www.aruba-bb.com and www.aruba.com. I lived in Aruba for 7 months of the year a few years back and still go every year. I always check out the restaurant reviews, etc. Chalet Suisse is one of our favorite restaurants. Papiamento is very romantic (go at 7-ish after sundown and request a table for 2 by the pool). Understand that it is a leisurely dinner. DH and I go at least once each year. Agree with Barefoot. Also try Water's Edge at Costa Linda (it's right on the beach) on Eagle Beach. You will note from the websites I mentioned that Aruba is NOT dressy. You'll sometimes see ladies dressed up at the Hyatt (I gamble there once a week when the band is playing) but the norm is sun dresses/cropped pants with a nice top for ladies. Nice shorts and collared top for gents. You may want to dress up but it isn't necessary.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by Linda VH
I always check out the restaurant reviews, etc. Chalet Suisse is one of our favorite restaurants.
What about the restaurants you quote are worthwhile? (what dish(es) does the restaurant prepare well)

Please don't take above personally. I have an issue when someone states: "Go to XYZ restaurant" or "XYZ restaurant is great" Well what was delicious or special? (there isn't a restaurant on the face of the earth that executes every dish or even near every dish 100%, so what specifically do these restaurants do the best in your opinion)
Old Jan 13, 2014, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

What about the restaurants you quote are worthwhile? (what dish(es) does the restaurant prepare well)

Please don't take above personally. I have an issue when someone states: "Go to XYZ restaurant" or "XYZ restaurant is great" Well what was delicious or special? (there isn't a restaurant on the face of the earth that executes every dish or even near every dish 100%, so what specifically do these restaurants do the best in your opinion)
Any follow up with a trip report? Would love to hear the exact mentioned above from yourself.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 9:32 am

We always go to Chalet Suisse on the night we arrive (if possible) and the night we leave. DH usually asked them to do a veal cordon bleu and starts with the vol au vent. I usually have to escargot and the duck although sometimes I have a special salad with goat cheese. 17 year old usually has steak. Last year the boys (both 16) requested with go back there several times. Consistently good IMHO.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by Linda VH
We always go to Chalet Suisse on the night...
thanks for listing some dishes you like!^
Originally Posted by nrdk
Any follow up with a trip report? Would love to hear the exact mentioned above from yourself.
hopefully soon, upon arrival back into the states, my wife & I found out my sis-in-law is in hospital after suffering massive stroke, so trip reports as you can imagine aren't on top of my mind.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

hopefully soon, upon arrival back into the states, my wife & I found out my sis-in-law is in hospital after suffering massive stroke, so trip reports as you can imagine aren't on top of my mind.
Ah I'm sorry to hear that, I hope she recovers fully and quickly.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 8:23 am

Rijstaffel! That's the name of it! We're staying at the Tam (all inclusive) but I'd been thinking if I could find a restaurant that served that Dutch / Indonesian mini-dish meal I had in Amsterdam many years ago I'd spend the extra money for a dinner out. Kept meaning to e-mail my friend in Amsterdam to ask her the name of it.

Where did you end up going, Sweet Willie and do you recommend it? (I hope your sister-in-law is feeling better.)

nrdk, we're going with the jeep rental. Even at that, we'll be skipping the natural pool. In addition, I ordered a map of Aruba off Amazon that was recommended on TripAdvisor and saved an offline Google map of the island as I understand that road signage is terrible on the island.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 9:03 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by FliesFromCanada
In addition, I ordered a map of Aruba off Amazon that was recommended on TripAdvisor and saved an offline Google map of the island as I understand that road signage is terrible on the island.
It's not like the island is a maze of roads in most parts.... you simply need to know what direction you need to go.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

@FFC - Which company did you choose for the rental, what was the cost/day and are you doing AmEx insurance or?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.