Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USVI Lodging near STT or Red Hook

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2013, 9:51 pm

USVI Lodging near STT or Red Hook

Also, sugar bay is a mid tier hotel. Better options for service are Ritz and Marriott on stt. If you go to st John, the service will be the same unless you stay at a higher end place.....Caneel or Westin. Service in the usvi isn't great, regardless. I go for self catering - villa rental.
Old May 23, 2013, 2:17 pm

Cruz Bay St. John does not close up at 10pm. I have owned a house there for 35 years--however if we have any troubles they occur after 12pm arround the bras that are still open.
I agree with the comments about near Red Hook---and for upscale resort the Ritz Carleton is nearby.
Old May 23, 2013, 2:17 pm

Should be bars that are still open
Old May 23, 2013, 8:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sugarbird
if we have any troubles they occur after 12pm arround the bras that are still open.
Originally Posted by sugarbird
Should be bars that are still open
That's a shame - I was hoping to go for the nightlife where I could find some of those open bras.
Old May 24, 2013, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624
Be careful with STJ - if you didn't like the idea of nothing being open at 10pm near your hotel, then STJ isn't for you
I was specifically referring to options on hotel grounds. The several restaurants close with just the bar open and the little sandwich shop. In Red Hook there seemed plenty of options within 10 min, but on our arrival we didn't know where these were, how far away, etc.

Originally Posted by bluwater
Sugar Bay has a man-made "beach ".It isn't representative of st Thomas beaches - one of the least desirable on the island.
I won't dispute that. I didn't want this to be a full trip report, just impressions of Sugarbay since lodging was the topic of my original post. I'm sure some of the other beaches on STT are nice.
Old May 29, 2013, 7:09 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, RC/Marriot Platinum, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum
The Ritz is right in Red Hook
Old May 29, 2013, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Has anyone stayed at the Best Western right by the airport?? Is it walking distance. We are thinking of returning the rental car at 6pm, checking in at the BW, and then just catching our 8am flight out without having to pay for an extra day of the car.
Old May 29, 2013, 7:56 pm

My wife and I stayed there one night when we arrived too late to make the last St. John ferry. It was ok---a 2 or 3 star---would stay again if needed---but it is by no means a luxury hotel
Old May 30, 2013, 4:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Has anyone stayed at the Best Western right by the airport?? Is it walking distance. We are thinking of returning the rental car at 6pm, checking in at the BW, and then just catching our 8am flight out without having to pay for an extra day of the car.
There are two BW's. The one near the airport is walking distance, but it isn't connected to the terminal. We considered it for our first night with a late arrival so I was watching for it. The "airport road" is straight and pretty flat, I would guess it was 1/4 mile or 1/3 mile to the hotel. At night with some female friends I was glad we didn't try to walk it. But in daytime should be much better if you can handle that distance.

Side note: The checkin staff for AA was very tight on the checked bags cutoff time. Our early morning flight had several people left in a tight spot.
Old May 30, 2013, 4:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by rankourabu
It is walkable fairly easily. Marginally acceptable for an overnight stay, but that's it.
Old May 31, 2013, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by maverick17
There are two BW's. The one near the airport is walking distance, but it isn't connected to the terminal. We considered it for our first night with a late arrival so I was watching for it. The "airport road" is straight and pretty flat, I would guess it was 1/4 mile or 1/3 mile to the hotel. At night with some female friends I was glad we didn't try to walk it. But in daytime should be much better if you can handle that distance.

Side note: The checkin staff for AA was very tight on the checked bags cutoff time. Our early morning flight had several people left in a tight spot.
Thanks for that... Google says 850m or so.. so I guess a 10 min walk. Shouldnt be too hot at 7:30am in early July I hope ... Flight is at 8:43 on JetBlue.
Old May 31, 2013, 7:47 pm
Original Poster

Just fyi Google's map stops about 100 or 150 m short of check-in if the visual is correct. Not a big deal to most, and probably not to you.

Last edited by maverick17; Jun 2, 2013 at 3:21 am
Old Jun 2, 2013, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by maverick17
Just fyi Google's map stops about 100 or 150 m short of check-in if the visual is correct. Not a big deal to most, and probably not to you.
I guess we'll have to make the walk twice, from dropping car off, and then back to airport in the morning. $40 saved tho for one less car day
Old Apr 21, 2014, 2:24 pm

I have a stay planned on St. John. My plan arrives 10 pm and departs 8AM. I know there are early ferries between STJ and STT, but it looks like they limit the earliest ferry to locals who are commuting. So think i'll stay near STT the night of arrival and the night of departure.

How was the Best Western? Best rate i can find is $140, and the reviews make it sound like its not worth it. I guess i'll save the extra day on the rental car, which effectively lowers the price of staying there.

I assume i can check my luggage the night before for an 8AM departure.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 2:47 pm

Doubt if you can check your bags the night before as you need to clear CBD and fill out a custom declaration and have your bags inspected before you board your flight and go thru security. CBD is only open certain hours, probably an hour before first flight of the day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.