Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USVI Lodging near STT or Red Hook

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2013, 2:14 am
Original Poster

Heading to STT in a few weeks. Looking for middle class lodging as on a bit of budget with friends this time. Wanting to explore STJ and BVI in day trips, then maybe good nightlife in evenings while staying on STT.

My question now is my sister and her friends narrowed the choices based on $ to the Best Western near STT and a condo/resort property near Red Hook. Any comments on choosing between these areas? My two variables are safety for college girls at night and taxi costs if only nightlife is in Charlotte A. (I believe ferries run to both locations so for day trips doesnt seem to be an issue).

Or if anyone has specific comments on BW or Antilles Resort please share as not much info in trip reports. Thanks.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

that island is only about 6 miles long, and 2 miles wide. if you stay in the middle, you can walk anywhere in less than 45 min.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat+++
There are a bunch of restaurants and good nightlife in Red Hook. A bunch of bars stay open very late and play dance music and all that. We went to a wedding at Bolongo Bay and we're pretty happy with it. Nothing fancy but relatively close to Red Hook and not too far from downtown STT. As for safety in Red Hook, just need to use their head. Stay in their groups and should be just fine.

Cheers.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 7:38 am

We stayed at the green iguana for 2 nites, it's on the hill behind CA, great views, and cheap
Old Apr 29, 2013, 2:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by slawecki
that island is only about 6 miles long, and 2 miles wide. if you stay in the middle, you can walk anywhere in less than 45 min.
St. Thomas is larger than that. And I don't think that you would be wise to walk anywhere there.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 8:19 am
Original Poster

I think we are going with Sugar Bay. I was voted down.

Anyone been?
Old Apr 30, 2013, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat+++
We went there to catch a catamaran tour and it looked like a nice place. Most people we spoke too on the beach while waiting seemed to enjoy it. The pools are good size. I dont remember the beach being that big, but still nice nonetheless.

Cheers.
Old May 2, 2013, 7:02 pm

I've lived there. Stay in Red Hook. Don't stay near the airport. Red hook has good restaurants, nightlife and the ferries to other islands. Sapphire Beach resort (not the condos) would put you beachfront on one of the best beaches in the VI. Shop the price. Crystal cove Ian bad, either. A little further is Point Peasant but it is still relatively close to Red Hook.
Old May 2, 2013, 7:03 pm

Ps. You can't stay in the middle and walk, as suggested above. That advice must be from someone who has never visited.
Old May 7, 2013, 5:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by cactuspete
St. Thomas is larger than that. And I don't think that you would be wise to walk anywhere there.
Not to mention that you'd be dealing with steep hills (like 15-20% grades in many places) and extremely narrow, winding roads that are dangerous for pedestrians - and not to mention that you'd be a prime target for a mugging if you were dragging luggage up and down hills over the course of a several mile walk.
Old May 14, 2013, 9:12 am

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
Look at private rentals in red hook for your best bet
Old May 16, 2013, 8:29 pm

Also, you dont want the nightlife in CA. Stick with Red Hook or Yacht Haven Grande.
Old May 22, 2013, 12:20 am
Original Poster

Follow Up

We had a very good time at the Sugar Bay resort. The hotel was a bit worn, but the view was nice and the distance to Red Hook was convenient. A couple of notes for anyone considering STT lodging.

Sugar Bay seemed a far ride from the airport, but it turned out close to Red Hook. The big van taxis at the airport filled up with 8 of us or so going to Sugar Bay. Checkin was very slow at around 10 p.m. Lots of mosquitoes. Then it turned out the only food option after 10 was a little cafe in the lobby that charges a lot for some basic sandwiches. No room service.

View was great though. The next few days we tried some of the food (we didn't do inclusive and were very glad as it seemed overpriced) and it was average. Service was better by the pool than in the main restaurant, but still slow and not high quality. Only a ten minute ride to Red Hook and the ferries and restaurants. Pool was nice. Beach is pretty and water nice, but it was rocky entrance to the water and hard on feet. Saw three people fall and cut themselves. Not many fish that I saw snorkeling there.

If we went again I would want to stay on STJ, seemed nicer area, better service, and much nicer beaches. But for STT, Sugar Bay wasn't bad, I'd probably try something else next time just to compare or maybe a rental. PM me if you want more details etc.
Old May 22, 2013, 8:59 am

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
Originally Posted by maverick17
Follow Up

We had a very good time at the Sugar Bay resort. The hotel was a bit worn, but the view was nice and the distance to Red Hook was convenient. A couple of notes for anyone considering STT lodging.

Sugar Bay seemed a far ride from the airport, but it turned out close to Red Hook. The big van taxis at the airport filled up with 8 of us or so going to Sugar Bay. Checkin was very slow at around 10 p.m. Lots of mosquitoes. Then it turned out the only food option after 10 was a little cafe in the lobby that charges a lot for some basic sandwiches. No room service.

View was great though. The next few days we tried some of the food (we didn't do inclusive and were very glad as it seemed overpriced) and it was average. Service was better by the pool than in the main restaurant, but still slow and not high quality. Only a ten minute ride to Red Hook and the ferries and restaurants. Pool was nice. Beach is pretty and water nice, but it was rocky entrance to the water and hard on feet. Saw three people fall and cut themselves. Not many fish that I saw snorkeling there.

If we went again I would want to stay on STJ, seemed nicer area, better service, and much nicer beaches. But for STT, Sugar Bay wasn't bad, I'd probably try something else next time just to compare or maybe a rental. PM me if you want more details etc.

Be careful with STJ - if you didn't like the idea of nothing being open at 10pm near your hotel, then STJ isn't for you: most places shut down quite early and there is an extremely limited selection of options if you are not near Cruz Bay.
Old May 22, 2013, 9:46 pm

Sugar Bay has a man-made "beach ".It isn't representative of st Thomas beaches - one of the least desirable on the island. . Up the road 5 mins is Sapphire Bay - great beach. Thanks for the review.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.