Wiki Posts
Search

Arecibo Observatory (Puerto Rico)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2010, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Arecibo Observatory (Puerto Rico)

Worth a visit? (2 adults with inquiring minds and no kid-lumps in tow)

TIA

Last edited by sonofzeus; Dec 10, 2010 at 6:27 am Reason: Erratum
Old Dec 10, 2010, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by sonofzeus
Worth a visit? (2 adults with inquiring minds and no kid-lumps in tow)

TIA
if you're into science then yes. also close by are the Rio Camuy Caverns. worth checking out as well
Old Dec 11, 2010, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Can anyone confirm or refute the recent comments on Tripadvisor?

My take:

The payoff doesn't come close to the shlep before/during/after the visit.

BTW the nearby "caves" sound insignificant compared to Mammoth (KY).
Old Dec 13, 2010, 10:15 am

from wikipedia...

The Parque de las Cavernas del Río Camuy (Camuy River Cave Park), is one of the largest cave systems in the world [4] [5] [6]and the largest in the Western Hemisphere
Old Dec 13, 2010, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbenus
from wikipedia...

The Parque de las Cavernas del Río Camuy (Camuy River Cave Park), is one of the largest cave systems in the world [4] [5] [6]and the largest in the Western Hemisphere
...bigger isn't better if the park people are sloths.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 3:51 pm

i was commenting on size because of your "insignificant" remark. either way, i'm now recommending you don't go. something tells me you won't enjoy yourself.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 7:45 pm
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
The Caribbean is where people go to relax... so if they're sloths, perhaps they're the ones that are doing it right
Old Dec 15, 2010, 7:50 am

Programs: Marriott Silver, Priority Club Platinum, Hilton Gold, Airline Peon (United, Delta, Southwest)
Originally Posted by sbenus
if you're into science then yes. also close by are the Rio Camuy Caverns. worth checking out as well
I'm into science, and didn't find the observatory worthwhile for anything other than photography. I thought the movie that they show was very weak and almost devoid of science. The museum part of the observatory was tiny. I don't think I ended up spending more than a half hour (total) at the observatory. Someone more interested in radio-telescopes might find it more interesting than I though.

Rio Camuy Caverns on the other hand was well worth the trip. If you can do them both the same day, it wouldn't hurt to stop by the observatory. They are close enough to each other. However, I would plan on visiting the caves first.

Last edited by myadvice; Dec 15, 2010 at 7:58 am
Old Jan 4, 2011, 11:47 am

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
The museum at Arecibo is quite good. I was actually impressed at the depth of technical content that they present, so anyone who left in hurry likely just couldn't comprehend the exhibits.

Caves in the morning and El Radar in the afternoon is a great way to spend a day!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.