FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Caribbean and nearby Atlantic including Puerto Rico (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/caribbean-nearby-atlantic-including-puerto-rico-474/)
-   -   Arecibo Observatory (Puerto Rico) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/caribbean-nearby-atlantic-including-puerto-rico/1158362-arecibo-observatory-puerto-rico.html)

sonofzeus Dec 10, 2010 6:15 am

Arecibo Observatory (Puerto Rico)

Worth a visit? (2 adults with inquiring minds and no kid-lumps in tow)

TIA

sbenus Dec 10, 2010 7:25 am

Originally Posted by sonofzeus (Post 15420024)
Worth a visit? (2 adults with inquiring minds and no kid-lumps in tow)

TIA

if you're into science then yes. also close by are the Rio Camuy Caverns. worth checking out as well

sonofzeus Dec 11, 2010 7:38 am

Can anyone confirm or refute the recent comments on Tripadvisor?

My take:

The payoff doesn't come close to the shlep before/during/after the visit.

BTW the nearby "caves" sound insignificant compared to Mammoth (KY).

sbenus Dec 13, 2010 10:15 am

from wikipedia...

The Parque de las Cavernas del Río Camuy (Camuy River Cave Park), is one of the largest cave systems in the world [4] [5] [6]and the largest in the Western Hemisphere

sonofzeus Dec 13, 2010 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by sbenus (Post 15439647)
from wikipedia...

The Parque de las Cavernas del Río Camuy (Camuy River Cave Park), is one of the largest cave systems in the world [4] [5] [6]and the largest in the Western Hemisphere

...bigger isn't better if the park people are sloths.

sbenus Dec 13, 2010 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by sonofzeus (Post 15440963)

i was commenting on size because of your "insignificant" remark. either way, i'm now recommending you don't go. something tells me you won't enjoy yourself.

mkt Dec 13, 2010 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by sonofzeus (Post 15440963)

The Caribbean is where people go to relax... so if they're sloths, perhaps they're the ones that are doing it right :)

myadvice Dec 15, 2010 7:50 am

Originally Posted by sbenus (Post 15420340)
if you're into science then yes. also close by are the Rio Camuy Caverns. worth checking out as well

I'm into science, and didn't find the observatory worthwhile for anything other than photography. I thought the movie that they show was very weak and almost devoid of science. The museum part of the observatory was tiny. I don't think I ended up spending more than a half hour (total) at the observatory. Someone more interested in radio-telescopes might find it more interesting than I though.

Rio Camuy Caverns on the other hand was well worth the trip. If you can do them both the same day, it wouldn't hurt to stop by the observatory. They are close enough to each other. However, I would plan on visiting the caves first.

hobo13 Jan 4, 2011 11:47 am

The museum at Arecibo is quite good. I was actually impressed at the depth of technical content that they present, so anyone who left in hurry likely just couldn't comprehend the exhibits.

Caves in the morning and El Radar in the afternoon is a great way to spend a day!