Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Capital One | Rewards Miles
Reload this Page >

Cannot access Convert Miles due to mobile network two-factor authentication failure.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cannot access Convert Miles due to mobile network two-factor authentication failure.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2023, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: VS Gold

Hello,

Has anyone else had this issue and found a workaround?

This is different from the other thread about delays trasnferring miles.

I cannot even use that part of the site because it's requiring to text me a code, but no matter which number I use it says something like "we are unable to use this number, try a different number".

Nothing works. Two weeks ago, I called them. After explaining to a few people I was passed around to, they admitted it's a bug since they started requiring MFA in mid October and they are working on the fix.

It is still broken.

I missed my window to book an award.

Thanks, all
Old Oct 29, 2023, 2:44 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by maxmin
...."we are unable to use this number, try a different number".
Which mobile network(s) have you tried?
Old Oct 29, 2023, 4:03 pm
Original Poster

T-mobile. It's all I have.

Also my Google Voice number which redirects to T-Mobile.

I take it that you know it matters?
Old Oct 29, 2023, 5:18 pm
mia

I take it that you know it matters?
No, but it sounds similar to some aspects of this which also relies on SMS: Capital One "security" changes makes international account access difficult
Old Oct 29, 2023, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
No, but it sounds similar to some aspects of this which also relies on SMS: Capital One "security" changes makes international account access difficult
I see, thanks. I did read that thread earlier. That's about banking/credit card. In any case, I'm only having this issue in the US.

That's one of the confounding things about my issue. They don't want me to use MFA to access my credit card or bank accounts. Or to book travel. It's ONLY the section where I want to convert miles to an airline. Perhaps if I set up MFA for my main credit card and banking access, it will somehow open up the mileage conversion buttion without then requiring MFA?
(Update: I tried to do that but there is no option for MFA on the website login!)
nsx likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2023, 6:46 pm
mia

That's about banking/credit card. .....
Understood, but the underlying problem may be the same. Capital One wants to use your cellular account information to verify your identity. If your phone account is prepaid or through a reseller, T-Mobile may not be able to provide the service. I think you will need to contact Capital One again, on a weekday during normal business hours, get past the front line staff, until you can speak with someone who knows exactly how the system works.
Old Oct 29, 2023, 9:11 pm
Original Poster

OK thanks for that but I respectfully question that's the reason. It's my t-mobile account, I've had it for years. Also the error comes back instantly: not enough time for them to even initiate a communication to t-mobile.

You know, I'm not going to waste any more time on the phone re-explaining it to a loop of ultimately un-empowered or uninformed people! Talk about a wild goose chase.

I'll try again in a month to see if it's working. Luckily I can transfer from Amex or Chase too.
Old Oct 30, 2023, 7:26 pm

Same issue

I have the same issue. I use T-mobile in US. Has this numbers for years. Other authentication on Capital One with my phone number seem to work fine except transfer miles.
may be this is a tactic to prevent user to transfer mile?? I'm new to VentureX. Amex never has issue. Has anyone successful transfer mile with Capital One?
nsx likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2023, 3:00 am

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by Peesangs
I have the same issue. I use T-mobile in US. Has this numbers for years. Other authentication on Capital One with my phone number seem to work fine except transfer miles.
may be this is a tactic to prevent user to transfer mile?? I'm new to VentureX. Amex never has issue. Has anyone successful transfer mile with Capital One?
Was the number being used previously acquired/transferred from a service like Google Voice or other VOIP-like provider? Many SMS MFA services don't like VOIP like numbers, it's possible that even though it's no longer VOIP (assuming you actually ported it to T-Mobile and are not attempting a forwarding solution) then whatever systems/databases they use to prevent these numbers might be out of date.

I have T-Mobile and haven't had any issues getting past the SMS MFA for Miles Transfer, so it must be something more than just all T-Mobile US.
mia likes this.

Last edited by islandguy84; Oct 31, 2023 at 3:06 am
Old Oct 31, 2023, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by islandguy84
Was the number being used previously acquired/transferred from a service like Google Voice or other VOIP-like provider? Many SMS MFA services don't like VOIP like numbers, it's possible that even though it's no longer VOIP (assuming you actually ported it to T-Mobile and are not attempting a forwarding solution) then whatever systems/databases they use to prevent these numbers might be out of date.

I have T-Mobile and haven't had any issues getting past the SMS MFA for Miles Transfer, so it must be something more than just all T-Mobile US.
it's a number assigned by T-mobile. The weir things is it worka when i yry things like forget my password authentication. It only not work when i try to access convert reward. So you say that you successfully transferred your points to airline?
Old Nov 2, 2023, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
Understood, but the underlying problem may be the same. Capital One wants to use your cellular account information to verify your identity. If your phone account is prepaid or through a reseller, T-Mobile may not be able to provide the service. I think you will need to contact Capital One again, on a weekday during normal business hours, get past the front line staff, until you can speak with someone who knows exactly how the system works.
Well thanks, but my phone is direct through t-mobile and there is no reseller etc.
CapitalOne "Digital" department say they are still working on the bug with no ETA.
Old Nov 3, 2023, 7:35 am

Well thanks, but my phone is direct through t-mobile and there is no reseller etc.
CapitalOne "Digital" department say they are still working on the bug with no ETA.
I am also unable to transfer to Capital One for the same reason. Capital One says its a bug with no timeline for fix.
Old Nov 3, 2023, 9:09 am
mia

Originally Posted by jdmako
I am also unable to transfer to Capital One for the same reason.
Is your phone also on T-Mobile?
Old Nov 3, 2023, 9:18 am
mia

Capital One outsources the Transfer function. I suppose the software fault may be in the administrator's system, rather than in the system that Capital One uses for other purposes. This would explain why customer service has even less information than typical.
Old Nov 3, 2023, 12:25 pm

No I'm on Verizon.
mia likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.