Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Capital One | Rewards Miles
Reload this Page >

Capital One (Savor, Quicksilver) partnership with Uber (free UberOne, rebates)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2022, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite

https://www.businessinsider.com/pers...ership-2022-11

Deets at the press release, the twist is this makes a Savor/SavorOne a 10x Uber card with free UberOne through late 2024 if you have a VentureOne/Venture/VentureX and you transfer the cashback. The free UberOne results from paying the monthly fee using the Capital zone card (you’ll get a rebate).

I happen to be running an AMEX/Capital One setup with some AMEX Uber Cash every month so… giggity.
Old Nov 15, 2022, 8:30 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Wait I'm confused, they are only providing these benefits for the cash back? So VentureX doesn't get any of the Uber benefits?
jebr likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2022, 8:43 am

It doesn't sound like the Uber benefit works with the Venture X cards. That said, Thrifty Traveler reports that Venture X cardholders get a free PRIOR membership (some sort of travel guide membership thingy.)

Weird that Uber isn't included with the Venture X, although I wouldn't be surprised if there's some sort of contractual reason with Amex that they can't do it (maybe the agreement with Amex covers travel cards, but not cash back cards?)
Old Nov 15, 2022, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dinoscool3
Wait I'm confused, they are only providing these benefits for the cash back? So VentureX doesn't get any of the Uber benefits?
Correct. But if you have a VentureX AND one of these cards you transfer the cash to your miles account.

Originally Posted by jebr
It doesn't sound like the Uber benefit works with the Venture X cards. That said, Thrifty Traveler reports that Venture X cardholders get a free PRIOR membership (some sort of travel guide membership thingy.)

Weird that Uber isn't included with the Venture X, although I wouldn't be surprised if there's some sort of contractual reason with Amex that they can't do it (maybe the agreement with Amex covers travel cards, but not cash back cards?)
I am not entirely surprised given that AMEX and Uber are allegedly tight. It does add significant value to Savor/SavorOne as a complementary card to Venture/VentureX.
Old Nov 15, 2022, 10:56 am

Programs: Coffee Shop Buy 10 Get 1 Free
With CSR announcing the Lyft Pink today saw this hoping that meant VX was getting similar with Uber but apparently not. PRIOR addition seems very meh
Old Nov 15, 2022, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DG206
With CSR announcing the Lyft Pink today saw this hoping that meant VX was getting similar with Uber but apparently not. PRIOR addition seems very meh
Everyone seems to get all hot and bothered over Chase trifectas, I'd argue that a VX + SavorOne exacta can hold its own on a CSR/CSP + CFF + CFU trifecta. 10x miles for portal rental cars/hotels/Uber, 5x on airfare, 3x dining/groceries/streaming/entertainment (big for movies/sports/shows), 2x everything else, $300 portal credit, 10k annual rebate, full Priority Pass, expanding lounge network, and the AF is cheaper than CSR (and net is cheaper than CSP).
DG206 and SpaethCo like this.
Old Nov 15, 2022, 11:21 am

Programs: Coffee Shop Buy 10 Get 1 Free
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Everyone seems to get all hot and bothered over Chase trifectas, I'd argue that a VX + SavorOne exacta can hold its own on a CSR/CSP + CFF + CFU trifecta. 10x miles for portal rental cars/hotels/Uber, 5x on airfare, 3x dining/groceries/streaming/entertainment (big for movies/sports/shows), 2x everything else, $300 portal credit, 10k annual rebate, full Priority Pass, expanding lounge network, and the AF is cheaper than CSR (and net is cheaper than CSP).
Yeah not a bad deal for sure. Not meaning to rabbit hole too much, just dropped my CSR for Amex Gold. While the monthly credits can be annoying, Im an occasional Uber user and my kiddo loves Shake Shack I can use those credits pretty easily to essentially wipe the AF since I dont need PP with my VX. A lot of similar transfer partners Amex has with C1 still complement each other pretty well
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2022, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
I set a calendar item for myself to ensure I cancel UberOne before 11/12/2024 (at least 2 days prior Uber recommends to the deadline).

I agree that AmEx agreement fine print must have put exclusivity in the T&E space with Uber (makes sense) hence no Venture variants allowed. Savor is really just E space, and QuickSilver is just a popular card (when it first came out). The strange part of this is the availability of no AF cards for this promo (SavorOne, QS Student, SavorOne Student). I wouldn't suggest anyone do this on QS because that is just six consecutive months, you should get a SavorOne instead.

I would presume most of the Swifties are getting the SavorOne card because that likely matches well into their spending pattern. I can see Capital One trying to have a really big new accounts quarter.

Hmm, but I still think Uber is not getting much revenue for these memberships. Maybe a $1 or less per waived monthly fee?

I am a little worried about the lack of differentiation between Savor AF and SavorOne non-AF. First, it was them having the same 3% groceries on both cards and now this promo. You gotta do something for the AF folks beyond just 1% extra on dining/streaming/entertainment I think. But I can guess that they don't have a lot of AF cardholders because you could get 5% on dining for many of the AmEx cards.
Old Nov 15, 2022, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by rasheed
I am a little worried about the lack of differentiation between Savor AF and SavorOne non-AF. First, it was them having the same 3% groceries on both cards and now this promo. You gotta do something for the AF folks beyond just 1% extra on dining/streaming/entertainment I think. But I can guess that they don't have a lot of AF cardholders because you could get 5% on dining for many of the AmEx cards.
Between season tickets for NFL, opera and symphony, zoo and various museum memberships, concerts and occasional Disneyworld tickets, and my kids' summer camp, I'm absolutely killing it in the entertainment category for the Savor. I suspect most people who would opt for it over the SavorOne can do the math and come out ahead. Capitol One has really stopped pushing the Savor over the SavorOne so I don't think it was working out in their favor.
Old Nov 16, 2022, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by rasheed
But I can guess that they don't have a lot of AF cardholders because you could get 5% on dining for many of the AmEx cards.
Which AmEx cards have 5% back on dining? The closest I'm aware of is 4x with AmEx Gold, which could be worth 5 or more cents in expected value with transfer partners, but that's a lot more convoluted than 5% cash back.
Old Nov 16, 2022, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Which AmEx cards have 5% back on dining? The closest I'm aware of is 4x with AmEx Gold, which could be worth 5 or more cents in expected value with transfer partners, but that's a lot more convoluted than 5% cash back.
A Savor would be the same 4x paired with a VentureOne/Venture/VentureX.
jebr likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2022, 8:25 pm

You are correct. I thought Gold was 5x not 4x dining, but I was mistaken.

Also, Capital One technically wants you to allow 1 to 2 billing cycles before you see the monthly credit. So, we will always be a few months behind in credit. Don't bother calling until maybe Feb if it hasn't showed up by then. I think this kind of concept (monthly reimburse credits) is not what they usually do and the membership charge is not a unique merchant compared to usual Uber charges. The 10% is working through.

I think they are still recovering from the Swift Ticketmaster disaster as many people didn't have their card on them and didn't realize they have to re-enter some info to actually purchase tickets in the presale, unlike Amazon. Of course those fields should not be provided on the phone by the bank. So, you lose the tickets as your reserve time runs out.
Old Nov 20, 2022, 5:49 pm

Uber seems to allow you to switch the payment method for orders or rides in the last 30 days. Has anyone tried to switch and gotten the 10% cashback?
Old Nov 30, 2022, 10:52 am

Programs: STARS/LUMINOUS, PRIVE, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club
Has the credit for UberOne posted for anyone (in my case its the QuickSilver card)? Charge for 9.99 posted on Nov 17.
Old Dec 2, 2022, 1:52 pm

Yes, you need to wait a few more days.

I signed up the same day the Capital One partnership was announced.

Charge posted on 11/16 9.99
Credit posted on 12/1 -9.99

My two transactions happen to be on different statements (and it might stay that way for the next two years).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.