Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 3, 2022, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
The Benefits Guide for Capital One Venture X is here: https://ecm.capitalone.com/WCM/card/...g-proof_v1.pdf

Print Wikipost

Capital One Venture X (General Discussion)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2022, 5:31 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by UA Fan
My first anniversary with the card is coming up. Does C1 waive the annual fee if the card is closed/downgraded within the first 30 days of the charge? I was recently surprised they do not transfer credit limits among cards, so curious if they have unusual policies with annual fees.
By getting 10k points (100$ value in miles) and then a 300$ credit on airfare, you can continue to keep the card for free
Churning is always an option but I am not sure about getting approved - they have been very harsh in the past about approvals
I keep my family of 5 on the card for zero, so I will not cancel - There alway other offers to look for.
RJ5929 likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2022, 5:39 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Star Alliance - Aeroplan, Avianca Lifemiles, Singapore, Turkish (Eva and TAP less useful)
OW - BA -and so on to Iberia, Qatar, Aer Lingus (Qantas, Finnair Cathay less useful)
Sky- Air France (and aeromexico less useful)
Emirates, Etihad and Virgin
Hotels Choice and Wyndham (and Accor in EU)
For most of the above they are cheapest choice per $ spend - a BA mile from 1 Chase card is more expensive than a BA Avios from Cap 1; same with Amex unless all your spend with Chase / Amex is in bonus categories

What is not covered are AA, UA, AS, DL, WN and B6 but at times saver awards are available on some of these also via partners (less and less so though)

Personally I use
Amex for Airfare 5X; Groceries 4x;
Chase Ink cash for office and cell phones at 5X, Sapphire travel at 3x
Rest - ALL unbonused spend goes on Cap 1 - Even then I wonder
- is the 1x extra on Sapphire worth the 95$ fee - I have to cross 9500$ spend in that category each year

Originally Posted by TTT103
This card has received a lot of attention in the last year because of it being new, and because many travel bloggers receive commissions on the referral links. I have the card, but it does not necessarily have a place in my wallet. I do use the C1 portal to book airfare, but that’s about it. I think you really need to look at C1’s transfer partners. If you value them, then the card may make sense. For me, I much prefer Chase’s transfer partners, but that’s just me.

Yes, as you pointed out you do receive the Priority Pass restaurants, whereas you don’t with your American Express platinum card. However, there are also some nice perks, including the Centurion lounges with the platinum card. If you don’t value the transfer partners, the VX is really little more than a 2% rebate card, which you can get with the no fee Citi double cash card. If you rent quite a few cars, the VX comes with primary car rental insurance, which is a big one for me, but I also receive with my City National bank crystal card. If you travel quite frequently, take a look at the Priority Pass Netwerk, as it is fairly limited domesticity. Because of this, I also maintain an admirals club membership.

Yes, between the $300 annual credit and 10,000/$100 annual renewal bonus, it ends up being a cost neutral card, but that’s not necessarily a reason to get it.

Last edited by ffI; Sep 4, 2022 at 5:45 pm
Old Sep 7, 2022, 7:29 am

Anyone know or can guess if/when the 100k bonus may return? Could I walk into a C1 bank and ask for it?
Old Sep 7, 2022, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by deltatrav
Anyone know or can guess if/when the 100k bonus may return? Could I walk into a C1 bank and ask for it?
If someone "knew" it would be posted here. And guessing is a waste of time. The offer is the offer.
Old Sep 7, 2022, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by philemer
I think that will begin next April 1st.
Originally Posted by ffI
Phil
Cap One pulls all 3 credit bureaus - so not worth it IMHO; Usually any card application gets only 1 or at most 2 at times
I am still above 5/24, on Equifax (which Chase pulls here) but Experian and Transunion are below.
Usinfg a C1 application is not to be done lightly
April 1st is April Fools Day.
Old Sep 8, 2022, 4:47 am

Originally Posted by ffI
- is the 1x extra on Sapphire worth the 95$ fee - I have to cross 9500$ spend in that category each year
Only you can answer that question. For me, I much prefer the UR transfer partners, so I don't think twice about the additional cost. It's simply a matter of what transfer partners work best for you and how much you charge to your cards.
Old Sep 8, 2022, 11:26 pm

Only you can answer that question. For me, I much prefer the UR transfer partners, so I don't think twice about the additional cost. It's simply a matter of what transfer partners work best for you and how much you charge to your cards.
According to the CSP page, travel only gets 2x. Travel gets 3x on the Reserve, but that's a much higher net AF.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 1:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Still trying to get some better info. on C1 Offers, and since I don't see a thread, and my card is the VentureX, hoping tis ok to post in here.

Just clicked through the offers link and made a purchase at Gap, which is supposed to give 5% back. Is there supposed to be an email confirmation at some point (I know Chase and Amex both do) confirming I used an offer? First time going through an offer link with C1, so just want to see if there's a way to confirm I should get the credit.

Also, do credits typically take the 3 statement periods as per the terms (at least that I've seen), or can it be shorter - again, my experience is with Amex and Chase, and I know they typically credit within a few days.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by nall
According to the CSP page, travel only gets 2x. Travel gets 3x on the Reserve, but that's a much higher net AF.
That is true, but I value 2 UR points much higher than 2 C1 points. However, I generally use the Chase ink Preferred which earns 3X per $ for travel -- $95 annual fee.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 8:31 pm

Can someone confirm spend on AU account counts towards initial min spend for the bonus?
I think it is usually that case but haven't had capital one cards before, and US bank actually doesn't count it.
Old Sep 10, 2022, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by s0ssos
Can someone confirm spend on AU account counts towards initial min spend for the bonus?
I think it is usually that case but haven't had capital one cards before, and US bank actually doesn't count it.
Yes, it counts.
Old Sep 10, 2022, 1:48 pm

Yes, it counts.
Great, thanks. Seems like this is one of those GCSSG (great cards someoneelse should get) and add you as AU.
Old Sep 10, 2022, 7:37 pm
ffI

Originally Posted by deltatrav
Essentially now the offer is 25k points for the referral and 75k points for the application; I doubt the 100k will return
As far as C1 is concerned they are still paying out 100k per new account
Find a friend with C1 card and use the referral link; and in a 2 player mode, refer each other
philemer likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
That is true, but I value 2 UR points much higher than 2 C1 points.
You must really really like WN/UA/Hyatt transfers or cashing out for PYB, huh? Because those are the only partners/methods I could think of that might make UR have a lot of excess value over C1. For me given that WN RR is pretty much fixed value at 1.4 cpp it's hard for me to see excess value. Hyatt is pretty much the only place I would see a lot of excess value (and right now my Bilt card is actually giving me an ersatz form of UR access to UA/Hyatt).
Old Sep 15, 2022, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
For those who have upgraded a Venture One card to an X, do the existing AUs carry over? I intend to keep the VX indefinitely, but since my wife is already an AU on my V1 card, I'm thinking of closing the current VX and then upgrading the V1 to VX, so that she does not get another card on her record. Is there anything that could go wrong with this plan? Is there some way to time it so that the new card year is the same as the calendar year?

Last edited by UA Fan; Sep 15, 2022 at 3:36 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.