Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Capital One | Rewards Miles
Reload this Page >

Capital One "security" changes makes international account access difficult

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Capital One "security" changes makes international account access difficult

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2021, 2:58 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
I don't know what to say...here is proof of me receiving texts to my Google Voice number from CapitalOne.
Finicky_Finch likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 4:22 am

Programs: DL, WN, B6, Marriot, IHG
Capital One does do 2FA through Email

BUT, only select US government employees are eligible for this and they have to make their work email address (.mil, noaa.gov and HHS.gov) their main email address on their account; this probably isn't very helpful for most, but Capital One does email 2FA.

Last edited by Boogywoogy; Dec 1, 2021 at 4:49 am
Old Dec 1, 2021, 2:43 pm

Google Voice and Anveo not working for Capital One

So I set up a Google Voice number and that didn't work with Capital One's system. Then I purchased a number from Anveo because I read other forum posts about this definitely working, and it doesn't work either. I'm about to give up and cancel the card unless anyone has any ideas?
Old Dec 1, 2021, 6:22 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Leopardz
So I set up a Google Voice number and that didn't work with Capital One's system. Then I purchased a number from Anveo because I read other forum posts about this definitely working, and it doesn't work either. I'm about to give up and cancel the card unless anyone has any ideas?
You might want to check out the links below, especially the second one, for a phone number with SMS delivery that works. It doesn't work from Japan but it might work from the US, but it's not a free solution (though the first one is).

Originally Posted by mia
These specifically mention financial institutions. (I know nothing about either, just a starting point for your own research):

https://www.receivesms.co/receive-sms-from-bank/

https://www.onesimcard.com/cell-phon...cation-number/
Old Dec 3, 2021, 9:38 am

Google Voice

Originally Posted by Leopardz
So, I found out that you have to set up Google Voice in the US before you go abroad for the 2FA to work. :-/
Boraxo and Finicky_Finch like this.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 9:00 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
I’m in the US but only have a Canadian VOIP number through TextFree—no phone sim. I received a confirmation text from C1 confirming my number, but when I tried to 2FA I didn’t get the code. Tried multiple times and get locked out of receiving codes. Called in, the agent said it might take 24 hours for the phone to work, so I’ll try again tomorrow. She did say GV should work but I didn’t give it a try, I’d want to use my main number if I can. Maybe it’s the VOIP maybe it’s the Canadian who knows.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by dinoscool3
I’m in the US but only have a Canadian VOIP number through TextFree—no phone sim. I received a confirmation text from C1 confirming my number, but when I tried to 2FA I didn’t get the code. Tried multiple times and get locked out of receiving codes. Called in, the agent said it might take 24 hours for the phone to work, so I’ll try again tomorrow. She did say GV should work but I didn’t give it a try, I’d want to use my main number if I can. Maybe it’s the VOIP maybe it’s the Canadian who knows.
It does need to be a US based phone number for 2FA, to my understanding. The fact that you received an initial text is interesting, maybe it is because Capital one does business in Canada.
Old Feb 11, 2022, 4:59 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by Boogywoogy
It does need to be a US based phone number for 2FA, to my understanding. The fact that you received an initial text is interesting, maybe it is because Capital one does business in Canada.
I was able to work around it. I do have trouble sometimes with receiving 2FA texts, but I can almost always receive calls. Although the app doesn’t offer a call the website does. I tried to log into both at the same time and used the website to have them call me a code and used that code in the app. Worked fine!

Last edited by dinoscool3; Feb 11, 2022 at 6:34 am
Old Feb 11, 2022, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by dinoscool3
I tried to log into both at the same time and used the website to have the, call me a code and used that code in the app. Worked fine!
Fantastic DP. Thanks for sharing!
dinoscool3 and Finicky_Finch like this.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Boogywoogy (Post # 67)
It does need to be a US based phone number for 2FA, to my understanding.
Originally Posted by dinoscool3 (Post # 68)
I was able to work around it. I do have trouble sometimes with receiving 2FA texts, but I can almost always receive calls. Although the app doesn’t offer a call the website does. I tried to log into both at the same time and used the website to have them call me a code and used that code in the app. Worked fine!
The Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI) (area code 670) is a U.S. territory in the western Pacific north of the Territory of Guam (area code 671).

Unfortunately, Capital One information technology (IT) does not permit their system to call back my CNMI home landline phone number with a six-digit code as part of two-factor authentication (2FA). So I cannot access my account online, and download my monthly REI MasterCard statement.

Yes, I can learn my account balance and pay it telephonically, but without being able to download PDF statements, I am unlikely to use this card often.
​​​​​
Old Nov 22, 2022, 5:26 pm
Original Poster

Before REI transferred from US Bank to Capitol One, there was no problem accessing the REI card account from outside the country. I doubt anyone at REI knew about this problem with Cap One. Or maybe they did but just didn't care. I haven't even activated my new REI card since the change.

Meanwhile, it's interesting that the Office of Personnel Management, which handles all retirement benefits for retired federal gov't workers, has no problem at all with clients outside the US. When I log in from overseas, it will send the 2FA text to both my US and French mobile phones without any protest.

USAA bank, which has lots of active and retired military customers, also has no problem with foreign access for 2FA. In addition to phone and text (which may be limited to US numbers, I don't know), you can also get an email or use a PIN.
SPN Lifer and Finicky_Finch like this.
Old Nov 24, 2022, 9:45 am

Chiming in should others use or consider Google Voice. I noticed some companies don't like VOIP phone numbers. Since I joined C1 early this year Google Voice has worked fine. I'm not sure what the technical reason is but from my experience, Chase will usually reject the number, and Verizon sometimes gets confused with a Google Voice number. If they don't work use your email, TOTP, or a regular phone number.
Old Nov 24, 2022, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
VoIP (VOIP) = Voice over Internet Protocol
TOTP = Time-based One-Time Password
Old Nov 29, 2022, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
This seems more an issue for people who never visit the USA. For those of us here it does not take much effort to set up a phone on the $3/mo T-Mo plan much less a free line on Google Voice. If you are living/planning to live overseas $36/yr seems a small price to pay. Plus every expat I know has a VPN to watch US programming so that should address any login issues on laptops.

Originally Posted by Moh20
Sorry you didn't find a solution to the problem. From my experience, GV works with Cap1 and Discover, but it does not work with Chase and Wells Fargo. (I'm not sure about Amex as I've canceled it many years ago due to the international acceptance).
My Chase Ink account sends texts to Google Voice, no issues at all. I've had the GV # for ages, and may be porting another soon.

Originally Posted by randysea
My simpler option is to avoid Capitol One when I travel outside the US. If I have to access my account, I'll have to trust whomever is staying in my house. I'll call their cell phone and ask them to repeat the Cap One code that will come in on the landline. It doesn't seem any risk. There's nothing they can do with that one-time code unless they are first logged into my Cap One account. And if I didn't trust them, I wouldn't let them stay in my house in the first place. It's always a friend or relative, never airBnB or anything like that.
I prefer to use Crap1 when traveling overseas as it never gets declined and I prefer not to use one of my everyday cards due to the higher risk of cloning/fraud etc. Recently used in Mexico with no problemo and even used the phone app, which did not require 2FA. I try to avoid logging onto internet via laptop as the connections are not secure though presumably VPNs could address that issue.

It is curious that Cap1 does not offer 2FA via email as that is usually an option with my other banks (though I prefer text as it's instantaneous)
Old Nov 29, 2022, 10:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Boraxo
This seems more an issue for people who never visit the USA. For those of us here it does not take much effort to set up a phone on the $3/mo T-Mo plan much less a free line on Google Voice. If you are living/planning to live overseas $36/yr seems a small price to pay. Plus every expat I know has a VPN to watch US programming so that should address any login issues on laptops.
If you go to the post that started this thread, you'll see that the OP (me!) lives in the US but travels a lot. Cap1 changed its 2FA a couple of years ago to create the problem. I use VPN when traveling but is not a workaround for the 2FA problem.

Having to deal with a second phone and phone service while traveling does take effort and is very inconvenient have to use it every time I want to look at my account. Then try to explain to your non-techie friends what they would have to do to access a Cap1 account. It's just ridiculous.

I have multiple credit card and other accounts I can access from anywhere in the world with a more convenient 2FA method. Not a single one of those companies has ever appeared in a headline like:
"A hacker gained access to 100 million Capital One credit card applications and accounts"

Even US government accounts, like my federal retirement, allow me to get text messages directly on my foreign phone for practical 2FA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.