Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Canadian Airlines Plus
Reload this Page >

Will the code "CP" disappears after the merger?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2000, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Cathay Pacific Asia Miles

Hi, everyone. Does anyone know whether or not the code "CP" will disappear once the merger with Air Canada is completed? Thanks. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif
Old Jul 5, 2000, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
I would not read today's news as meaning Cdn will disapppear January 1st, 2001. I have been told that AC execs are still making the decision about what the actual "brand" or "brands" will be. AC has indicated in the past that it wants to maintain a separate identity for Cdn, particularly in the domestic market. However, they may be changing this view, not out of any malevolence or desire to eliminate any trace of Cdn, but because of continued public confusion that has been evidenced since skeds were rationalized back in April.
Old Jul 5, 2000, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TalkBoard: We discuss / ad nauseum things that mean / so very little
Agincourt:

One of the other threads states that, for now, AC and CP are still separately registered entities and so the "CP" code will live. When the day comes that the combined airline is re-registered as a single entity, it is likely "CP" may be gone. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/frown.gif

I really like the "CP" code. It's a reminder of days gone by and the old (orange!) Canadian Pacific.

FewMiles..
Old Jul 5, 2000, 8:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Cathay Pacific Asia Miles
FewMiles,
I came to Canada in 1992, so I never have a chance to see those "orange" Canadian Pacific planes in person. However, I know how they looked like in Airliners.net. I too really like the "CP" code. It reminds me of the old 747 (Maxwell W. Ward 881) that took me here with the "Wings across five continents" c/s. Too bad as the new Proud Wings c/s will disappear soon. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/frown.gif

Old Jul 6, 2000, 10:54 am

Programs: AC-SE MM, SPG Plat Lifetime, Marriott Plat, FPC Plat, HH Diamond
Being always optimistic I still hope that AC will integrate the Proud Wings logo (small, small):0 on all their planes when the merger is done.

For what it represent, I see no conflict having the Maple Leaf Logo on the tail and the small CP logo somewhere near the entrance door of planes.

At least it would recognize the great past of this airline and the presence of CP employees joining the AC family...

Old Jul 6, 2000, 12:07 pm

Programs: BA GGL, FPC Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
I think it will go.

It would be infra dig to subject the CP designator to AC Lite or AC Leisure.

Canadian Regional might take the rights to the CP designator if they get spun off.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.