Wiki Posts
Search

Airbus 380 coming to YYZ.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2009, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Clipper801
PR is also a government-owned carrier?

I thought Philippine Airlines is majority owned by PAL Holdings Inc. which in turn is owned by the Lucio Tan Group.
Actually, yes you're right, majority-owned by Tan. I was thinking of SQ when I wrote that.

That being said, I can't remember though if the PR government has sold off its remaining interests (which they may have in the past few years).
Old Mar 18, 2009, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by makin'miles
Point being?
Point being that bilateral agreements are meant to benefit bilateral traffic and the two parties, not benefit third countries.

Otherwise, multilateral agreements would be negotiated.

Do you include airlines like Air France, British Airways, Lufthansa, Cathay Pacific and Korean Air to not be among 'pretty much every airline?'
Right now:
AF's three daily flights to Canada: J is highest class of service. (Maybe F is offered on the fourth daily flight in the summer.)
BA's five daily flights to Canada: F is highest on only 2 (maybe sometimes 3) of 5 daily flights.
LH's four daily flights to Canada: F is highest on only 1 (and that was only recently introduced on YYC -- before that, C was highest for the past few years).
CX's twice daily flights to Canada: F only on 1 (and this one does JFK as well).
KE's one non-daily flight to Canada: F offered on all services (but not daily service).

The point is that AF, BA, LH, and CX used to fly F on all their flights but over the past decade, have cut it out of their services to Canada.

Can you define 'market principles'?
For starters:
- doesn't receive government backing/owned by government
- lease aircraft at market rates (not at zero or close to zero rates)
- operate on the same competitive level-playing field

I could go on, but we know that you and I don't agree on this. So I'll take the high road on this one and suggest that we agree to disagree.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.