Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Lesliville: Deconstructed (for the weary traveller)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lesliville: Deconstructed (for the weary traveller)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2008, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Fairmont Platinum | AC Gate Lice Status | VIPorter
Well PB, after checking the Colborne Lodge web site I see it's quite a step-up from Strats! The sounds and smells of the local rummy wandering on Queen St are replaced by the rarefied atmosphere of clinking brandy snifters and aromas from jus aux pricey stuff ?

I recently picked up the book Secret Ingredients: The New Yorker Book of Food and Drink

Last edited by Tangoer; Jul 18, 2008 at 3:40 pm
Old Jul 18, 2008, 7:26 pm

Programs: ACMM / Altitude S100K / HH Diamond
... you are being redirected to the post immediately below ...

Last edited by PreferBulkhead; Jul 18, 2008 at 7:28 pm Reason: dup dup dup duplicate
Old Jul 18, 2008, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by Tangoer
Well PB, after checking the Colborne Lodge web site I see it's quite a step-up from Strats! The sounds and smells of the local rummy wandering on Queen St are replaced by the rarefied atmosphere of clinking brandy snifters and aromas from jus aux pricey stuff ?
Hmmm - Methinks you were in the sauce ... if you saw all that at the Colborne Lodge website as Colborne Lodge is a Nursing Home in Saskatoon and a museum in Toronto -- looking for new digs??? [I would have to agree that either of them would be a step up from Strats ... I have given up on my remaining Strats points -- not worth returning ... getting good brews and nibbles at Prohibition however ]

Now it you want to try to get into Colborne Lane I can try to put in a good word for ya!
Old Jul 18, 2008, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow! The Leslievillers are having a summer blast! :-:
Old Jul 19, 2008, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Fairmont Platinum | AC Gate Lice Status | VIPorter
Jim's Best Western just won kudos from NOW Magazine:

Toasted western

Who will take this year's honours for Best Wood-Fired thin crust Raccoon pizza?

C'mon PB in my two visits to Strats I did not find it to be that bad? Sure, the service was poor but for about $30 in total you could get a pitcher of beer, and large portion of chicken tandori on a huge plate of rice with naan bread and huge garden salad with cheese. For patio fare it was pretty good.

Last edited by Tangoer; Jul 19, 2008 at 6:07 pm
Old Jul 20, 2008, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by Tangoer
Suggested day trip for the tourist:

Take the Queen St. E streetcar from downtown, to Carlaw Ave., and walk along Queen St. eastward for the 5 blocks or so to Greenwood. ....
Tangoer:

Great thread ... thanks ... I'll check it out in August, will be 2 days and again 1 day in Toronto....I have a car, but parking shouldn't be a problem, correct?

OT: I have bookmarked "The Host" and "Alice Fazooli's" are they any good?
BTW, "your" Stratengers has mixed reviews
Old Jul 21, 2008, 9:11 am

Programs: VIPorter First, BA GGL, DL Plat, Golden Circle Elite
Don't go to Alice Fazooli's for the love of god! Terrible chain food -

On the local-ish note, I went to Picnic on Friday. It's actually not a full-service restaurant. Rather, more of a wine bar where you can get cheese/ham/etc platters to nosh on. Good ambiance, nice service.

May try to get to Table 17 this week.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by kellytoronto
Don't go to Alice Fazooli's for the love of god! Terrible chain food -

On the local-ish note, I went to Picnic on Friday. It's actually not a full-service restaurant. Rather, more of a wine bar where you can get cheese/ham/etc platters to nosh on. Good ambiance, nice service.

May try to get to Table 17 this week.
I'll pass Alice .. it was mentioned in a magazine .. "former Car Repair, now In-Local" The website looks pretty http://www.alicefazoolis.com/

Is this "your" Picnic?

Picnic
2411 Yonge St.
(bet. Broadway & Roselawn Aves.)
Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Map
416-487-8609
Old Jul 21, 2008, 10:43 am

I'll second the thumbs down on Alice Fazooli's, fake Italian chain restaurant, better than Olive Garden but only by a little bit.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by USAFAN
Is this "your" Picnic?

Picnic
2411 Yonge St.
(bet. Broadway & Roselawn Aves.)
Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Map
416-487-8609
Pic Nic
747 Queen E.
"The Riverside resto-bar run by Ian Risdon and Nicola Fisher serves an array of wines as well as meat and cheese platters as part of their menu. Italian-trained chef Daniel Usher has five items on his menu, making it easier on those indecisive types. A sure draw for east enders looking for a convenient local for a good glass of vino and a bite."

Check out earlier in the thread for lists of restaurants. I love Batifole - if you're into french food, it's hard to beat. Tomi-Kro is also very good, as is L'il Baci for "fusion" and italian, respectively.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 1:00 pm

So was it true what the review said - do they really slice their meat too thick?
Old Jul 22, 2008, 2:19 pm

What a wierd point, eh? I found the meat to be well-sliced. But what do I know - I forgot my calipers in my car.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 6:52 pm

So what are you views on the vodka bar across the street? With all that meat stuck between your teeth, you need to wash it down with something good - da?
Old Jul 22, 2008, 7:08 pm

It was kind of wierd. Bowling alley layout, somewhat unfriendly staff, but typical vodka bar - similar to Pravda on Wellington. If you love vodka with some dry bread and pickles, this is the place for you.
Old Jul 25, 2008, 7:38 am

So - Table 17. It was pretty good. Of the appetisers our group had, in order of good-less good were scallops, tartare, salad, cold pea soup. For mains, pickerel, pork tenderloin, then striploin. The steak came out a little overcooked and was pretty tough. Desserts were also pretty good - esp. the chocolate veloute and the clotted cream w/ strawberry rhubarb compote.

Service was good and casual, and the layout is good. I'd say definitely a repeat place, but there's definitely hits and misses on the menu.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.