Wiki Posts
Search

Weekend in YVR for Canucks/Red Wings

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2007, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
Weekend in YVR for Canucks/Red Wings

I decided to burn some Citi Thank You points and go see the Red Wings play the Canucks in YVR Feb 23. I'm flying via SEA, arriving Friday morning and departing on the redeye Sunday night. Already have a seat to the game (Sect 310 Row 5 if that means anything to anyone).

I've never been to SEA or YVR so have questions:

Would you recommend one night in SEA and one in YVR or two in YVR?

Any recommendations on low-end Hilton/Starwood properties? I'm low on hotel points so I am probably looking at one night in a Hampton, one in a Four Points.

Interesting things along the drive from SEA?

Good brew-pubs / bars to not miss?
Old Nov 29, 2007, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
The HI in Vancouver is very much unlike any HI you've come across and is about 7 minutes walk from the arena if not a bit closer. Book soon as rates are already high and will probably go up.

If you want to split a stay, I'd recommend the HI in Bellingham for the Friday night (cross into Canada before noon on Saturday to avoid traffic) and the Vancouver HI on Saturday.

As for brew pubs on the way up/down, I like the Boundary Bay brewery in downtown Bellingham (south/west end of town). It's by the new farmer's market building.
Old Nov 29, 2007, 2:32 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
>Good brew-pubs

http://www.markjamesgroup.com/yaletown.html

>bars to not miss?

http://www.clubzone.com/c/Vancouver/...otel,_The.html

Have a good trip.
Old Nov 29, 2007, 6:14 pm

Programs: ACMM / Altitude S100K / HH Diamond
Recommend 2 nights in YVR... you will enjoy it! ^
Old Nov 30, 2007, 6:32 am

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
First of all, I am very jealous. Getting Canucks tickets are getting harder and harder these days.

Way Canucks are playing, it will be a good game. (I am a Canucklehead)

Hampton Inn in Vancouver is walking distance to the game. Right on Robson Street. If you do enjoy a very expensive brew at the game, you won't have to worry about driving you can walk to the hotel. Robson as other posts will mention is the tourist section of town, so it will be lively and there are many places to hang out and have a brew or two.

As for a Four Points, the only one in Vancouver is in Richmond. Which is a ways away from Vancouver city center. Very close to the Vancouver Airport.
It is a great hotel Lots of Chinese influence in the neighborhood. I lot like little Chinatown. If you do a search, there are some great posts about what this hotel and surrounding areas are like.

I would stay the Friday at the Four Points and move to the Hampton Inn on Saturday for the game.
Old Nov 30, 2007, 6:39 am

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
Your seats aren't that bad. Just under the brewhouse pub. You are still quite high up. You won't feel the hits or anything but you still would have a pretty good view from up there.

Have a great time.
Old Dec 2, 2007, 7:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
I must admit that paying over$100 CAD for an upper bowl ticket to a hockey game pained me. I thought Wings tickets were expensive. I'm leaning towards both night in YVR. I can explore SEA when I arrive and on Sunday since my flight does not leave until around 11pm.

What is the most scenic drive between the cities? Should I just head up I-5 or is there a better route. I don't care if it takes a little longer for a better experience.
Old Dec 2, 2007, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Only real scenic alternative is Chuckanut Drive (best driven southbound) between Bellingham and Burlington. From there, you could drive down Whidbey island and take the ferry over to Mulkiteo and reconnect with I-5.
Old Dec 3, 2007, 2:16 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by tev9999
What is the most scenic drive between the cities? Should I just head up I-5 or is there a better route. I don't care if it takes a little longer for a better experience.
Apart from the above-mentioned Chuckanut (which is actually only a slight detour off and back to I-5), the only other way is Highway 9. This is a two-lane rural (for the most part) route a bit further inland, no more or less scenic than I-5 and it ends up crossing the border in Abbotsford, east of Vancouver. If you're coming from SEA use the 405 and pick up the 9 via the 522 in Bothell. Not sure it's worth the extra time though, unless you really prefer to avoid Interstates - I do where possible.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 11:56 am

Programs: UA Silver, Southwest A-List, Hilton Diamond
Rather than starting a new thread, I figured I would just drag this one up. I've got tickets to the Canucks v. Flames game next Sunday (3/31) and a 6am departure from YVR the next morning. Oh and I will have a rental car.

Would I be better off
- renting a hotel room near the airport (free parking) in Richmond and driving to the arena (sounds like $10-20)
or
- renting a hotel room near the arena and parking there ($14-20), walk to the game, and drive to the airport in the morning.

Obviously, there is an issue of personal preference, but thoughts on traffic and parking to and from games and navigating downtown are my key inquires. Thanks in advance for the help.

Oh, but as an aside, any good concession stands in GM Place I should hit up?
Old Mar 19, 2008, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Downtown Vancouver hotel rates are quite high these days if that matters to you. If you really don't need a car, a combination of transit and staying near the airport may be better. Some of the airport hotels are a no-change transit ride away from downtown and get a shuttle in the AM. Better than refuelling and having to deal with getting back to the rental location by 0430 or something for a 0600 flight.

If you are flying transborder, you want to be at immigration early - say 5 if not earlier - if you don't have Nexus. That's after checkin and baggage tagging (if I imagine there could still be some ski traffic that time of the day). Web checkin and filling in your customs car in advance will save you time.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
If you are flying transborder, you want to be at immigration early - say 5 if not earlier - if you don't have Nexus. That's after checkin and baggage tagging (if I imagine there could still be some ski traffic that time of the day). Web checkin and filling in your customs car in advance will save you time.
Thanks for the information and heads up. Yeah, I'm flying back to SFO on UA so I'll make sure to get there early. Also reinforces the need to pack light and avoid the need for check in luggage. Silly question from a n00b international traveler, but are the customs forms just sitting out in the check in area? I'm thinking of just grabbing one on arrival, filling it out at some point so that its done.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 1:27 pm

Looks like it's a Sunday evening game. Traffic should be relatively light after the congestion around the rink. Parking beside the GM Place is steep. If you get lucky, you might be able to get some metered parking. I think you just have to pay until 8pm. There's some free parking along Expo Blvd (one way westbound) by Andy Livingston park (and vicinity) and Pacific Blvd (one way eastbound) which is one block south of Expo Blvd. It's hard to come by though and the area might be a PITA to navigate for a visitor. We usually park (for football games) in a parkade east of Andy Livingston park in Chinatown (~$3 for the evening). Maybe take a look via map.google.com if you decide to drive.

Haven't been to a Canucks game in 2 years so I can't remember the concession stands too well. There's a pub at the top. Here's a link to the food services at GM Place though.
http://www.generalmotorsplace.com/in...ns-at-gm-place

You can pick up US customs forms at YVR on tables in the US check-in area. There are also some just past check-in I think.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 2:01 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by Jay71
You can pick up US customs forms at YVR on tables in the US check-in area. There are also some just past check-in I think.
No, there used to be supply of forms (and tables and pens) just before the ICE checks, but they are gone now* to make way for the NEXUS lane (although there's still plenty of room for them AFAICS). And make you sure you have completed the form before you try to join the ICE line - they have a moat dragon who will bar entry* otherwise

* why are airports run by idiots ? (rhetorical)
Old Mar 20, 2008, 1:30 pm

Cool. Thanks for the heads up folks. I'll make sure to do make sure to look over the area with Google maps and try to figure things out.

So it sounds like I should just grab some forms on the way out in the US Check In area on what should be level 3 of the airport.

Thanks again; I really appreciate everyone taking the time to chip in on their thoughts I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.