Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canadian Flying from USA to Canada without a passport, possible?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2007, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

Hi,

Would a Canadian without a passport run into any difficulties if he drives down to the USA (uses driver's license and birth certificate to cross the land border) and then flies back home with the same documents?

I know a passport is needed to get into the US by air, but there are no such requirements for entering Canada or getting on a plane in the US, right?
Old Oct 31, 2007, 10:08 pm

Programs: AC Elite (waddya mean it's expired?), HHonours Gold, bunch of other stuff
Correct, as long as you have satisfactory ID, you do not need a passport to enter Canada if you are a citizen.

I confirmed this with CBSA for my wife last string when she forgot her ppt in a hotel.
Old Oct 31, 2007, 10:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AC110
Correct, as long as you have satisfactory ID, you do not need a passport to enter Canada if you are a citizen.
What is "satisfactory ID"? If someone has only a driver's license, can CBSA look up whether they are a citizen in some database? Or does it have to be a proof of citizenship like a citizenship card or certificate?
Old Nov 1, 2007, 5:15 am
B1

A driver's license and birth certificate meet the requirements if the airline agrees.
Old Nov 1, 2007, 6:10 am

Programs: AC Subhuman (*A silver), NW Barely Alive
I think B1 has the best statement: "if the airline agrees". I have no experience with trying anything else, but every time I've been on a transborder flight back to Canada, they ask for my passport at checkin - I suppose you could argue that 1) you're on a one-way flight, and 2) no need for passport to get back into Canada.

We all know how "understanding" checkin agents can be though.... let us know how it turns out!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.