Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Would clear window into baggage area have prevented YVR taser death?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Would clear window into baggage area have prevented YVR taser death?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2007, 4:02 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by Pam
I don't see how somebody who didn't speak English could get past the YVR (very unfriendly) Immigrations people.
As I understand it, the CBP did locate an intrepreter for the immigration interview. This took some time (part of the delay), by which time his bags had been taken off the carousel. He didn't know where they had gone or who or how to ask about them so apparently wandered around for several hours waiting for them. Eventually he somehow communicated to someone, the bags were found and he then went through the customs check and out. To find nobody waiting for him. The rest, you know.

There will be an inquest and hopefully the "secret" CBP videos will be played. If they don't mysteriously disappear in the interim.
Old Nov 8, 2007, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Aeroplan,Skymiles, HiltonHonors, SPG
Originally Posted by gglave
What on earth was he doing arriving in his new home, without even a phrase of English? At a minimum he should have been able to say "I am trying to find Mother." or "I do not understand. I am from Poland."
This reflects my query as per http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...17&postcount=8
Old Nov 8, 2007, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Very surprisingly, the video recording made of the incident by a private citizen and voluntarily handed over to police has now been returned to him.

I guess police figure they better do it otherwise future recordings will not be made available to them but go straight to the media.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl.../National/home
Old Nov 9, 2007, 9:23 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Very surprisingly, the video recording made of the incident by a private citizen and voluntarily handed over to police has now been returned to him.

I guess police figure they better do it otherwise future recordings will not be made available to them but go straight to the media.
I think that's probably what will happen anyway thanks to the RCMP's hubris in this case. They should know you just can't pull that kind of cr@p any more.
Old Nov 12, 2007, 9:18 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Thanks for all the info. What a sad, sad story.
Old Nov 17, 2007, 9:10 am

Programs: AEROPLAN
before this taser thing happend, I didn't know that a stapler is a deadly weapon.
Old Nov 19, 2007, 8:32 am

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
It's still clear glass in this area. I think generally, customs doesn't want you to see what is going on.

FWIW, the only airport I remember where those arriving internationally could be seen from landside was at the old Paya Lebar airport (and terminal building) in Singapore.
Waiting family members and friends can still see the pax in the customs area at the current SIN airport. And AMS. And many, many other airports, too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.