Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Vancouver restaurant best in Canada, Air Canada in-flight magazine declares

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2006, 6:27 pm

Programs: Sans souci
Originally Posted by NordsFan
Very true AA ! Chillin' in that very same 'hood as we speak !
Home sweet home.

BTW, I've booked flights to CDG in February. I'll send you a pm as we get closer, just in case we can cross paths.
Old Oct 27, 2006, 6:29 pm

Programs: AC*SE/2.1MM, Flying Blue Explorer, BA Executive Club Blue, AAdvantage Basic, ANA MC
Originally Posted by AnselmAdorne
Oh my word. I didn't see you in any of those party photos, NordsFan.
NordsFan is the shy type.....

But seriously I missed this year's Mundial golf tournament as I was away in......CLY My brother played in my stead :-: and got to hang around with Mlle Catherine and her friends; brotherly love is a beautiful thing !

We really need to have a YQB Do; enough of Super Larry and me sneaking around from bar to pub to watering hole, some of you guys and gals need to get involved. We have super direct DH8 service from YUL and YOW to complement our CRJ link with YYZ. Only a 15K Classic reward ticket away !!!
Old Oct 27, 2006, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Talking

We really need to have a YQB Do; enough of Super Larry and me sneaking around from bar to pub to watering hole, some of you guys and gals need to get involved. We have super direct DH8 service from YUL and YOW to complement our CRJ link with YYZ. Only a 15K Classic reward ticket away !!!
I would be more than happy to take you up on your offer of a "free" KK classic to YQB...from NRT !
Old Oct 27, 2006, 6:36 pm

Programs: AC*SE/2.1MM, Flying Blue Explorer, BA Executive Club Blue, AAdvantage Basic, ANA MC
Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
I would be more than happy to take you up on your offer of a "free" KK classic to YQB...from NRT !
That's a long time to spend on a DH8 ! Now, if you were coming from YYY that would be another matter entirely !
Old Oct 27, 2006, 7:02 pm

Programs: Sans souci
We really need to have a YQB Do; enough of Super Larry and me sneaking around from bar to pub to watering hole, some of you guys and gals need to get involved.
Sounds like an excellent idea. ^
Old Oct 27, 2006, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's a long time to spend on a DH8 ! Now, if you were coming from YYY that would be another matter entirely !
Well since you are SE I am sure you can convince them to refurb a DH8 with an EF suite.......It would just be a hop, skip, and jump!
Old Oct 30, 2006, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by Ken hAAmer
More importantly, do not trust anyone who uses language such as:

In my experience, people who use language like this:

1. Are completely clueless, but figure if they use lots of flowery prose will impress people and make them think they are an intellectual, or
2. On the take, or
3. Both.
We aren't on the take. Not for a moment. Our best new restaurant survey is the only NEW (sorry Kelekis!) and NATIONAL restaurant survey in the country. Check out the winners on our website (www.enroutemag.com) and you'll see that it's a well thought out and exhaustive survey of the country's dining scene. Chris Johns, the writer, is also one of the country's best food writers going - the only Canadian writer featured in this year's Best New Food Writing, an annual book put out by Morrow in the US. I don't think people have to agree with the list, enjoy every place we recommend, etc. - that is an impossible task. But I don't think our reputations really deserve to be impugned either. And as someone who loves a great burger as much as the next person, here's my suggestion: the best burger ever can be found at Le Tub in North Hollywood, FLA. No joke. ^
Old Oct 31, 2007, 10:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver
FWIW, I thought I'd update this thread rather than start a whole new one as enRoute has published it's annual dining guide and I thought it might interest some here:

http://www.enroutemag.com/e/november07/best_a.html

http://www.enroutemag.com/download/diningguide.pdf

Old Oct 31, 2007, 11:55 am

Programs: Air Canada Elite, United 1K, Continental Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Ken hAAmer
More importantly, do not trust anyone who uses language such as:

In my experience, people who use language like this:

1. Are completely clueless, but figure if they use lots of flowery prose will impress people and make them think they are an intellectual, or
2. On the take, or
3. Both.
Well said. I often wonder what it is that makes food critics qualified to pass judgement as few are actual chefs. I can't comment on the enroute reviewers qualifications, but as you said, flowery prose is often a big red flag.
Old Oct 31, 2007, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by Caroline's Rub
I often wonder what it is that makes food critics qualified to pass judgement as few are actual chefs.
I'm not sure about "qualified to pass judgment" (particularly on many of the finer points) but they are likely eating at a lot of different restaurants so I'd say they are typically in a better position versus the average person (or chef) to rate by comparing past overall experiences. That's not to say you'll agree with their reviews because everyone has different tastes. There's one critic in the Vancouver Sun whose restaurant recommendations we've tried and we've come to trust while there's another one that we don't trust at all anymore.

People love lists and these enRoute lists are just a couple more that can be used for reference in conjunction with other sources.
Old Nov 2, 2007, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by Jay71
I'm not sure about "qualified to pass judgment" (particularly on many of the finer points) but they are likely eating at a lot of different restaurants so I'd say they are typically in a better position versus the average person (or chef) to rate by comparing past overall experiences. That's not to say you'll agree with their reviews because everyone has different tastes. There's one critic in the Vancouver Sun whose restaurant recommendations we've tried and we've come to trust while there's another one that we don't trust at all anymore.

People love lists and these enRoute lists are just a couple more that can be used for reference in conjunction with other sources.
Enough people love them because all the restaurants note a huge bump in business. Are we passing judgement? Yes. All critics do. There's a lot of stuff out there - restaurants, movies, tv shows - that someone has to sort through the dross. And as travellers, nothing can ruin a trip like an endless line of bad food. At least I think so. That's one of the reasons we started this - and it's one of the reasons every issue of the magazine has restaurant, bar and hotel reviews. Every little bit of information helps.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.