Montreal’s famous Smoked Meat or Viande Fumee

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Montreal’s famous Smoked Meat or Viande Fumee

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2005, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by loo
I used to be a devotee of Schwartz's - until I discovered Smoked Meat Pete's. There is no turning back after you've tasted Pete's.
I don't see what the fuss is about in terms of decor. Schwartz's, while "colourful", is a hole-in-the-wall kind of place. Pete's, while far from upscale, is comfy and has live music sometimes, and good blues piped in the rest of the time. The seating is more spacious and comfortable as well.
It's a bit inconvenient to get there, depending on where you're coming from (requires a car), but that's the only downside. Pete himself is usually there, working and keeping an eye on things; Schwartz is long gone.
I didn't like the chocolate cake! But who needs chocolate cake after smoked meat? Pete's fries are excellent, whereas Schwartz's are pretty bad.
Pete's can be hard to find in the dark. Look for the Dairy Queen - it is immediately behind the Dairy Queen. Pete's has a lot of neon as well - I think it's red and green, but I am not certain.
Sounds pretty good. Unfortunately, when I visit Montreal I NEVER have a car. So getting to Pete's is probably going to be kind of difficult.

Ed
Old May 16, 2006, 9:41 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
I order a sandwich; I’m asked fat or lean. Fat of course because fat is where the flavor is.
That is probably true, but I prefer lean, dry slices of meat when it comes to corned beef, pastrami or smoked meat. For me, the sandwiches should also consist of two slices of crusty yet fresh rye bread either with or without caraway seeds, and have a generous dollop of real deli mustard to augment the flavor. A sour pickle and a half-sour pickle on the side is a must, with a Dr. Brown’s cream soda to wash it all down.

The only place I have sampled the smoked meat was at Schwartz’s, but I intend to try the other places in Montréal as well. Of course, I sampled the beef without the mustard to experience the true flavoring of the meat.

As I wrote here:
Originally Posted by Canarsie
I had heard about and seen pictures of the famous Montréal smoked meat, however, and thought, “This looks just like pastrami. What could be so great and unique about it?”

When I finally tasted a sandwich on rye bread with mustard at Schwartz’s World Famous Smoked Meat on 3895 St. Laurent, I thought it was excellent. It had a different, yet unique and indescribable flavor, and it definitely could hold its own against the best New York corned beef, pastrami or brisket. It was not better or worse than its New York “cousins” — simply different and unique.
Thank you for referring me to this thread, Sweet Willie.
Old May 16, 2006, 11:43 am

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
Originally Posted by RightD
Enjoyed and would recommend Schwartz's, but you can definitely skip Nickels (cheesy chain diner).
Agree that one should skip Nickels. Nickels was "created" by Celine Dion. She has enough money.

I used to say I liked Ben over Schwartz's, but then create a small holy war between rival Montrealers, and decided I would never make a pronouncement on the issue again.
Old May 24, 2006, 6:32 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GregWTravels
I used to say I liked Ben over Schwartz's, but then create a small holy war between rival Montrealers, and decided I would never make a pronouncement on the issue again.
isn't debating favorite food spots part of the fun or did it really create a war?

--
Old Dec 6, 2006, 8:15 pm

Bens Deli in Montreal has closed down ?

990 Maisonneuve building is completely deserted. Dont know French, but tons of little signs referenced some kind of strike. Dont know how long ago these were posted, but looks like at least a month or so.

A frigid hike from the Metro in falling snow, but was worth it.
Happened to find Dunns on Metcalfe while walking on a Mon at 4am; not as good but being open 24/7 is a plus.

Last edited by Alcibiades; Dec 6, 2006 at 8:29 pm
Old Mar 25, 2007, 4:46 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Thanks to the great advice. I wasn't even aware of Montreal being famous for Smoked Meat. I grew up in the US but here in Israel you can't get quality Smoked Meat, Corned Beef or Pastrami. That in mind I was at Schwartz's about 3 hours after my plane landed. It was great!

Originally Posted by Alcibiades
990 Maisonneuve building is completely deserted. Dont know French, but tons of little signs referenced some kind of strike. Dont know how long ago these were posted, but looks like at least a month or so.
I was trying to walk to Beauty's or some other place from a metro stop and was totally in the wrong place. But I happened to wander by Bens. I snapped a few photos. By now, it looks like they have been on strike for quite a bit longer than a month. In any event I've posted the photo with interesting Wanted posters of the employees as an entry into the FlyerTalk's Trip Reports Photo Contest so feel free to take a look and maybe vote for the pic you all inspired! If anyone wants a closeup of the wanted posters just drop me a PM.

Last edited by yosithezet; Mar 25, 2007 at 4:51 pm
Old Mar 26, 2007, 8:56 am

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
Originally Posted by Alcibiades
Yes, Ben's is shut down for good.

Strike forces famous Montreal deli to close its doors

The owner of a famed Montreal deli blames striking workers for forcing her to close up shop.

Ben’s, a Montreal institution for 98 years, is closing because “we have come to the conclusion a single outlet deli cannot thrive in the economic environment of a unionized payroll,” said 83-year-old owner Jean Kravitz.
Old Mar 26, 2007, 12:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by GregWTravels
Yes, Ben's is shut down for good.

Strike forces famous Montreal deli to close its doors

The owner of a famed Montreal deli blames striking workers for forcing her to close up shop.

Ben’s, a Montreal institution for 98 years, is closing because “we have come to the conclusion a single outlet deli cannot thrive in the economic environment of a unionized payroll,” said 83-year-old owner Jean Kravitz.

What a disappointment. This was always a stop on any trip to Montreal! If the Fairmont Bagel Bakery were to close, there would be NO reason to go to Montreal!

We'll always have The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz, if not the real thing. Wouldn't you like to have the lime green and lemon yellow formica tables and plastic chairs in your kitchen? I wonder if there will be an auction.
Old Mar 26, 2007, 1:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BAEC Bronze, DL Plat UA, HHonors Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt
[DROOLING]I've always been a Schwartz's fan, but sounds like I'll have to try Pete's next time I'm through.

Thanks![/DROOLING]
Old Jan 12, 2009, 10:04 pm

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
With Ben's going out of business.
What is the current rankings of best Montreal Smoked Meat Sandwich? It is still Schwartz"s Deli?

We are going to Montreal in the summer and have reserved two lunches for two different deli's.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 10:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by Taiwaned
What is the current rankings of best Montreal Smoked Meat Sandwich? It is still Schwartz"s Deli?

We are going to Montreal in the summer and have reserved two lunches for two different deli's.
Now, that's planning ahead.
Old Jan 13, 2009, 8:29 am

Programs: AC*E SPG*G CO*Silver Hyatt*Plat
Originally Posted by Taiwaned

My favorites remain Schwartz and Lesters in Outremont. Dunn's downtown is another good option if you want to saty in the downtown core for one of your two lunches.

Another great thing to try at either Dunn's or Lesters (Schwartz is only about the smoke-meat) is the club roll, a tasty combo of Smoked meat, Salami and stuffed chicken, grilled and served on a roll...

When heading up to Schwartz, head further north to Fairmont street and pick up some bagels at Fairmont Bagel
Old Jan 13, 2009, 11:06 am

Programs: US CP, UA, HH Gold, Marriott Plat, DL, AA, CO, ++
While you're at it... Make it a mini pilgrimage... You can do any of the following in the area, with a nice walk (depending if it's the middle of the winter or not!)

Restos: Schwartz's
Brewpubs: l'Amere a boire, Le Sergent Recruiteur, Dieu du ciel, Le Cheval Blanc, Bieres & compagnie.
Bagels: Fairmount bagel factory.

All are web searchable, probably all within a 30 minute walk from nearest to furthest.

HTSC
Originally Posted by YULbigfoot
My favorites remain Schwartz and Lesters in Outremont. Dunn's downtown is another good option if you want to saty in the downtown core for one of your two lunches.

Another great thing to try at either Dunn's or Lesters (Schwartz is only about the smoke-meat) is the club roll, a tasty combo of Smoked meat, Salami and stuffed chicken, grilled and served on a roll...

When heading up to Schwartz, head further north to Fairmont street and pick up some bagels at Fairmont Bagel
Old Jan 13, 2009, 8:34 pm

Programs: AC E
When I lived in Montreal, I was a Main Deli girl. I am ashamed to say I never had Smoked Meat Pete's wares, but I was working at The Gazette and helped judge their "best fry" contest when SMP's took the crown (I still remember their secret, which was used as that article's headline: "Fry, drain, refry!"). If you're out on the West Island, it's well worth a stop.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 10:11 am

Any updates on where to go for smoked meat in Montreal?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.