Search

Clearing customs when traveling thru Canada

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2023, 1:47 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
Clearing customs when traveling thru Canada

Looking at flights 1) SAN-YUL-CPH (Copenhagen) Question is do I clean customs in Montreal or CPH?

Homeward from Barcelona BCN-YYZ--DEN-SAN Question is where do we clear customs?

We are trying to make sure there is enough time on the layover we book. I am a slow walker.
Old Apr 19, 2023, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Each of those Canadian airports provides a guide to connections:

https://www.admtl.com/en/guide/connecting-flights

https://www.torontopearson.com/en/connections
airoli likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2023, 3:03 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Thank you. I'll check it out. Called Air Canada, wife and I. Outbound we are 1 yes we need to clear customs and two nos. Coming home we are 3 yeses and 2 nos. Read some posts and a generic on FT, but mostly about shots, covic, staying over etc. I am doing a Regent Seven Seas cruise. They provide business fare for the intl portion and economy for the domestic. Going thru Canada maximizes the intl flying. You can pay to have R7S check a couple of preferred flight. They will accept them, deny them or approve them with some copayment. Where I need the layover time for customs both ways is critical in making the sort. Start times, ending times, total time, airline picks, low enough fare to meet R7S, arrival time both ends, etc are a mess. But I don;t want to just take the 31 hour flight they pick because it ts the cheapest!

Thanks
Old Apr 19, 2023, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You will certainly need to clear U.S. Immigration and Customs at the U.S. "pre-clearance" facility at YYZ on the way home.
Old Apr 19, 2023, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Since BA offers a nonstop between SAN and LHR, have you checked to see whether the cruise line will permit you to fly BA to CPH and back home from BCN?
Old Apr 20, 2023, 8:24 am

Programs: Air Bukovina Elite, Circassian Air Gold, Carthaginian Airlines Platinum
Originally Posted by ranles
Looking at flights 1) SAN-YUL-CPH (Copenhagen) Question is do I clean customs in Montreal or CPH?

Homeward from Barcelona BCN-YYZ--DEN-SAN Question is where do we clear customs?

We are trying to make sure there is enough time on the layover we book. I am a slow walker.
You will transit Montreal as a transborder passenger but should not have to reclaim your bags. They should be tagged through to CPH depending on the airline(s) involved. You will have to undergo the CBSA checkpoint in Montreal. At CPH you will have to clear EU (Schengen) immigration and customs.

Coming back you will not have to clear CBSA in Toronto but will be processed by US Customs and Border Protection. You will arrive in Denver as a domestic U.S. passenger and can proceed right to your gate for your next flight.
Old Apr 20, 2023, 10:06 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Thank you travelingchris and guy1976. We have a 48 hr hold on our tickets. Out thru YUL with a 1H20M layover. Changed return to due to availability for viable routing/timing/pricing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.