Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Does a dual Canadian citizen really require a Canadian passport?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2023, 5:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum

Taking family back to the motherland (Ie Canada). Kids technically Canadian citizens (and Australian having been born in Oz).

For their entry to Canada, can I get by with their AU passports + eTA (cheap) or do I need to get full passports for them ($200)?

Likely going to Canada once every 24 months or so… not sure which countries have a visa advantage of CA over US

thanks
Old Mar 1, 2023, 12:08 pm

Programs: hahaha
Well, it's the law! The $200 is just to stay compliant.

If they're in the system, you'll find that applying for an eTA on their behalf won't get an approval, simply because they're Canadian and are expected to enter with their CAN passport (or US if they have one). (I only know this from a couple of stories on this subforum in recent years)
shuuy and tentseller like this.
Old Mar 1, 2023, 7:05 pm

Not sure about Australia but as dual Can/US citizens our family of 5 never once bothered getting Cdn passports as they are useless re-entering the US. Even while living in Canada we still just used US passport and nexus cards. Even the kids going to Cdn university used US passports. They carried around their little Cdn citizenship cards with baby pictures that never expire and they used these to get a SIN. Even frequent back and forth during strict covid lockdowns and banned Americans no one ever said anything. But Australia is probably different.

Last edited by sydneyracquelle; Mar 1, 2023 at 7:12 pm
Old Mar 1, 2023, 8:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
Thanks. Off to the consulate we go (and to encourage the Canadian government to get a citizenship certificate faster than the 24 months it took for the first one)!

Saves the eTA and ESTA cost at least (…always look on the bright side of life, de doo)…
Seat13F_AC_CRJ, knotseh and ffsim like this.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 2:12 am

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
Much safer to do it than not. Too many sad stories can be found on-line of people being denied boarding.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 3:50 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
The scenario described by sydneyracquelle works exclusively for US/CA dual citizens. Everybody else needs a CA passport to enter Canada, as an ETA request would be turned down if the system recognizes that the traveller is also a Canadian citizen.
Old Mar 4, 2023, 9:25 pm

Programs: NEXUS GE, TSA-Pre, AC E50K
Originally Posted by shuuy
Thanks. Off to the consulate we go (and to encourage the Canadian government to get a citizenship certificate faster than the 24 months it took for the first one)!
We just got a citizen doc back after 11 months. Definitely faster now than in 2020/2021

Passports are also going pretty quick, about 3 weeks (at least in the USA)
shuuy likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by knotseh
We just got a citizen doc back after 11 months. Definitely faster now than in 2020/2021

Passports are also going pretty quick, about 3 weeks (at least in the USA)
3 kids born abroad 25+ years ago got them all Cdn citizenship cards and SINs at birth yet they look so silly walking around with baby picture ID that never expires. But they still use these cards to go to Cdn university with cheap tuition and back and forth to enter Canada from USA and no one ever says boo. Even extensive travel back and forth during covid. They have never once had a cdn passport.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 9:26 am

As a dual Canadian citizen, you are considered a Canadian citizen and are entitled to enter Canada by right. However, it is recommended that you travel with a Canadian passport when entering Canada, as it is the easiest and most reliable way to prove your citizenship.

Regarding your children, as Canadian citizens, they are also entitled to enter Canada by right. However, Canadian law requires that all Canadian citizens, including children, travel with a valid Canadian passport when entering or leaving Canada by air. If you plan to enter Canada by land or sea, your children can use their Australian passports along with their Canadian citizenship certificate or Canadian birth certificate to enter Canada.

If you choose to travel with your children using only their Australian passports and eTA, they may face difficulties and delays at the border as the border officials will have to verify their Canadian citizenship status before allowing them entry. Therefore, it is recommended that you obtain Canadian passports for your children before traveling to Canada.

As for visa advantages, it depends on your destination country and your nationality. Some countries may require a visa for Canadian citizens but not for US citizens, while other countries may require a visa for both Canadian and US citizens. It is recommended that you check the visa requirements for the countries you plan to visit before making any travel arrangements.
Davvidd likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 9:39 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
To avoid any ambiguity in the post above:
If you are a Canadian citizen, you cannot get an eTA. And without a Canadian passport, an American passport, a visa or an eTA, you cannot board a flight to Canada. Your "entitlement to enter Canada by right" is all fine and well at a land or sea border, but at a departure gate outside of Canada, it won't do you any good.
ffsim likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 3:36 pm

Programs: hahaha
There is, it's been discussed maybe three times in this thread, including the post immediately above yours

You can find more info on the exception here https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/docu...al-citizenship

And here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...it-canada.html

EDIT: I guess I should tag you so that you know it's been addressed because that's how you may have missed it earlier @sydneyracquelle
Davvidd, knotseh and airoli like this.
Old Mar 12, 2023, 9:44 pm

Programs: NEXUS GE, TSA-Pre, AC E50K
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
3 kids born abroad 25+ years ago got them all Cdn citizenship cards and SINs at birth yet they look so silly walking around with baby picture ID that never expires. But they still use these cards to go to Cdn university with cheap tuition and back and forth to enter Canada from USA and no one ever says boo. Even extensive travel back and forth during covid. They have never once had a cdn passport.
Good to know - thanks. Easier to take the path of least resistance. Passports aren't that costly. Also - they don't issue citizenship cards anymore, just the certificate.
We too had 0 problems during COVID.

Originally Posted by asovse1
There is, it's been discussed maybe three times in this thread, including the post immediately above yours

You can find more info on the exception here https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/docu...al-citizenship

And here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...it-canada.html

EDIT: I guess I should tag you so that you know it's been addressed because that's how you may have missed it earlier @sydneyracquelle
Thanks for these links. I'd say 1/2 the time we travel - CBSA does ask where one of the kid's passport is and I just say - still in processing, but never any additional issues.
Old Mar 15, 2023, 9:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
Ah SINs! Is there any upside vs downside to getting them at birth vs if/when they want to be part of the Canadian establishment?
Old Mar 16, 2023, 4:16 am

Originally Posted by shuuy
Ah SINs! Is there any upside vs downside to getting them at birth vs if/when they want to be part of the Canadian establishment?
They’ll eventually need them to attend Cdn university and/or work (i.e. mine did at a summer camp). So I just got them asap.
asovse1 and shuuy like this.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 6:24 am

Originally Posted by Seat13F_AC_CRJ
Much safer to do it than not. Too many sad stories can be found on-line of people being denied boarding.
Pretty good point. I had a similar question. I'm a dual US/Canadian citizen, I live in the US and my Canadian passport is expiring soon. Probably best to just renew it and not worry about it.
Davvidd and Seat13F_AC_CRJ like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.