Wiki Posts
Search

Selecting one-way main cabin LGA—YUL flight

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2023, 6:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Selecting one-way main cabin LGA—YUL flight

It’s one way because we’ll be taking Amtrak back to NYC. We have no miles on either. I have them on Delta but the ticket cost is too high.

Trying to pick between AA 4450 on a E175 departing at 8:45am or AC 729 on A220-300 departing at 10:45am.

I don’t know which has a better on time performance and I tried doing the research. Which has more overhead compartment space? Even though it’s a short flight, does one or the other have more comfortable seats? AA is $65 more for the two of us. Price difference is not a make or break issue.

Which would you choose & why? Thank you.
Old Apr 12, 2023, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Will you need to check any bags on this trip? If so, do you have either an AA or a DL credit card that would give you a free bag?

Are you not interested in DL's morning flight?

Seat pitch on the AA and AC aircraft will be 30". On DL, it's 31". Seating on AA and DL will be 2-2; it's 2-3 on the AC A220, which is a bigger plane.

If you don't need to check any bags, I would just choose the cheapest flight.
Old Apr 12, 2023, 7:34 pm
Original Poster

Thank guv1976.

DL is $200 more than AC & $130 more than AA. If I flew DL, I could accrue miles. If DL had some sort of really tangible benefit that warranted paying that much more, I don’t know what it is. The aircraft is a CRJ900. DL doesn’t even give on-time performance for that flight on the app.

No, I don’t have those cards. I have a plain AMEX gold. We’re not checking bags.
Old Apr 12, 2023, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DL is offering $98 one-ways on just over half the dates in May, so you must not be traveling on one of those dates.

Old Apr 13, 2023, 7:24 am
Original Poster

The $98 fares are gone & have become $130 the 4th week of May. Still, good deal!
Old Apr 13, 2023, 10:29 am
Original Poster

I bought the DL tickets. Thanks for that chart!
guv1976 likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2023, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Analise
The $98 fares are gone & have become $130 the 4th week of May. Still, good deal!
It sounds like you booked a "Main" fare, rather than a "Basic" fare -- I'm still seeing Basic fares for $98 on Delta. (Of course, with a Basic fare, you cannot select seats in advance, and the two of you might end up not sitting together. Basic fares also do not earn any SkyMiles.)
Old Apr 13, 2023, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
It sounds like you booked a "Main" fare, rather than a "Basic" fare -- I'm still seeing Basic fares for $98 on Delta. (Of course, with a Basic fare, you cannot select seats in advance, and the two of you might end up not sitting together. Basic fares also do not earn any SkyMiles.)
Yup! I don’t do basic fare because I want to pick my seat.

Stupid question — Since we’re flying one way, will we still be able to check in using the app or do we have to show proof at the LGA DL ticket counter that we’re not planning on staying indefinitely?
Old Apr 13, 2023, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Analise
Yup! I don’t do basic fare because I want to pick my seat.

Stupid question — Since we’re flying one way, will we still be able to check in using the app or do we have to show proof at the LGA DL ticket counter that we’re not planning on staying indefinitely?
Not sure if DL will ask for proof of return/ongoing travel, but Canadian immigration might. I would just carry a printout of your Amtrak confirmation or tickets with you. (If you purchase your Amtrak tickets online, you can print them yourself, or at an Amtrak ticketing kiosk at New York Penn Station if you have occasion to be there again before you fly out.)

Edited to add: Don't forget the passports.
Old Apr 14, 2023, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
Not sure if DL will ask for proof of return/ongoing travel, but Canadian immigration might. I would just carry a printout of your Amtrak confirmation or tickets with you. (If you purchase your Amtrak tickets online, you can print them yourself, or at an Amtrak ticketing kiosk at New York Penn Station if you have occasion to be there again before you fly out.)

Edited to add: Don't forget the passports.
I will remember the passports! 🌷 An Amtrak agent told me we have to print the Amtrak tickets as Amtrak conductors will not accept a printed ticket….

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.