Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Admittance to Canada 7 Years after Impaired Driver Conviction

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2022, 7:27 am
Original Poster

Admittance to Canada 7 Years after Impaired Driver Conviction

It’s difficult to figure out online. How much of a problem this is. I’m coming in for a heliskiing and will not be driving. I was convicted in Utah of impaired driving seven years ago.

Any experience or suggestions?
Old Dec 11, 2022, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by Lorenzzo
It’s difficult to figure out online. How much of a problem this is. I’m coming in for a heliskiing and will not be driving. I was convicted in Utah of impaired driving seven years ago.

Any experience or suggestions?
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

I believe you will need to apply for "criminal rehabilitation".

Entering Canada with a DUI from the USA
If it has been more than five years, but less than 10 years since completion of a sentence, you may be eligible to apply for criminal rehabilitation. If the application is approved, the applicant have a clean slate and be eligible to enter Canada. There will no longer be any obstacles relating to the previous conviction: the person will be able to enter and leave Canada provided they do not commit another offence.
Canada DUI Entry: Can I visit Canada with a DUI? | Free Consultation
In order to be considered criminally rehabilitated, it must be demonstrated that an inadmissible individual has ‘turned over a new leaf’ since the conviction(s), and is judged unlikely to reoffend. The approval of this application is dependent on the subjective assessment of immigration authorities. For this reason, applicants are well served to prepare an application that conforms to what Canadian authorities are looking for in a rehabilitated individual.
Entering Canada with a DUI offense
Canada may or may not allow persons with DUI convictions to enter their country. Depending on the crime, and how long ago it was committed, and how you have behaved since the conviction, you may still be allowed to come to Canada if you:
Overcome criminal convictions: Individual rehabilitation
Rehabilitation means that you are not likely to commit new crimes.

You can apply for individual rehabilitation to enter Canada. The Minister, or their delegate, may decide to grant it or not. To apply, you must:
  • show that you meet the criteria,
  • have been rehabilitated and
  • be highly unlikely to take part in further crimes.
Also, at least five years must have passed since:
  • the end of your criminal sentence (this includes probation) and
  • the day you committed the act that made you inadmissible.
This page has links to the application and instructions:
Application for Rehabilitation for Persons Who Are Inadmissible to Canada Because of Past Criminal Activity

Disclaimer: I have no personal experience with any of this, but I have read a lot and watched a number of Border Security shows where they have talked about it. Someone with actual experience may be able to enlighten further.

There are also several other threads on the subject:
Enter Canada with DUI
DWI Entry to Canada - Consolidated Info
prior DUI and entering Canada through Vancouver BC
Inadmissibility to Canada due to old DUI's

However, note that some Canadian laws regarding this changed as of December 2018.
bambinomartino and Adam Smith like this.
Old Jan 2, 2023, 6:41 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Delta Skymiles
Sounds like if you wait 3 more years you would be deemed rehabilitated. Otherwise you would need to apply for it. Best of luck OP.

[Moderator edit to remove from post content quoted from other posters or sources and which did not show that it was quoted material.]

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Jan 2, 2023 at 2:08 pm Reason: See note above.
Old Jan 5, 2023, 7:13 am

Anyone that has a criminal record and crossing have the chance to be denied entry. It’s actually the customs officers discretion to let you in. They see your record when you cross. Some will some won’t. I’ve crossed before with someone holding a record and they let them in. It really just depends on the crime.
Old Apr 14, 2023, 5:44 pm
Suspended

Apply in advance with the Canadian embassy or consulate. That'll eliminate the immigration. officer's discretion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.