Community
Wiki Posts
Search

transit through YVR with 2 passports.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2023, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

transit through YVR with 2 passports.

I know the rule of thumb with 2 passports is you use the same passport to enter and leave a country and airline check in can see a different passport than the one to the government. But it seems a bit difficult given my transit plan through YVR.
I am going through land from Seattle to YVR enroute to Asia. I would enter Canada on US passport then check in at the airport using another which gives me admission to my destination. I vaguely remember there is no border control to clear exiting Canada at YVR where I can present my US passport. If such case, my concern is if the Canada officials know I have left the country properly?
Old Mar 18, 2023, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
There is no physical exit checkpoint leaving Canada but the departing vessel will submit a passenger manifest with travel document cross reference.
So if you enter at land crossing using US passport and you check in and depart Canada on a separate passport your exit will not be recorded.
Davvidd likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2023, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Deleted double post
Old Mar 18, 2023, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Doubt if it is an issue as you could just as easily have departed for the U.S. by land or sea.
Old Mar 24, 2023, 12:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tentseller
There is no physical exit checkpoint leaving Canada but the departing vessel will submit a passenger manifest with travel document cross reference.
So if you enter at land crossing using US passport and you check in and depart Canada on a separate passport your exit will not be recorded.
I imagine there should be many with 2 passports. How do they normally handle this type of entry/exit without same passport at a country without exit checkpoint
Old Mar 24, 2023, 4:19 am

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
I have a UK and a Canadian passport (living in UK). When I fly from UK to Canada, I give the airline the Canadian passport in the advanced passenger information, and that get's attached to both the outbound and return legs. I enter Canada with my Canadian passport. When leaving, there are no checks, but when I get to the airport I show the gate agents my UK passport as right of entry to the UK. Occasionally they will update the record with my UK passport number, but I think most times they are happy enough to see the passport as proof of being able to enter the UK.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 5:47 am

Programs: FB Gold
It's not an issue. Canada (and the US) do exit recording based on airline records and not on physical checks (you can request your entry/exit records from CBSA in Canada or CBP in the US, the US system gives you results right away, Canada usually emails your results in a day or two). I regularly enter Canada and the US on my Canadian passport and leave using one of my other ones, and both their systems have always linked up my entries and exits. They have considered the multiple passport case, and their matching algorithms are more sophisticated than matching just on passport number.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.