Wiki Posts
Search

Airport check in day before

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2023, 6:05 am
Original Poster

Airport check in day before

Hi,

I usually am unable to check in online for US bound flights and have an early YUL departure. Can I go to the airport the day before (like in the evening) to check in at the counter? I won't be checking in any bags. I just don't want to have to queue up at the ticketing counter in the morning, and then again at security and US customs which could potentially cause me to miss my flight. I also would rather check in early as the flight looks full.

Since the flight is operated by air Canada, the counters at the US terminal would be open the evening before.

I won't b entering the secure area the evening before. Just solely there to check in at the counter and come back the next morning.
Old Mar 3, 2023, 6:13 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
What you are asking for is perfectly reasonable.

Which has never stopped AC from denying it to me. Agents insist that counters and check-in machines at the airport can only process same-day flights for check-in. Most recent experience in CDG last week.
Old Mar 3, 2023, 6:35 am
Original Poster

That doesn't make sense. Many international flights leave after midnight (not at YUL due to curfew) and check in would technically be "the day before" since people check in a couple of hours before their flights typically.

​​​​​
Old Mar 3, 2023, 6:41 am

I am not arguing with you. I am simply sharing my experience on how AC has repeatedly responded to my requests to check-in for a flight departing the following day. Their stance is in stark contrast to other airlines (LX and LH come to mind) where I have had no issues in the past.
Old Mar 3, 2023, 6:49 am
Original Poster

Oh yeah I know. I'm saying it doesn't make sense on the agent's part. Was that the case for you in YUL/any other Canadian airport though? Or just in CDG?
Old Mar 3, 2023, 6:51 am

It was definitely the case in YUL and YYZ for me, although those experiences date back several years (mid-2010s...).
(And I just remember I tried in YVR for a domestic flight the next day in 2019, same result. For the domestic flight, the website then worked fine.)
Old Mar 3, 2023, 7:53 am
Original Poster

I called AC to ask and they basically said as long as it's within 24hours, the ticket goes to airport control and agents at the airport can do the check in.
Old Mar 3, 2023, 10:21 am

Programs: hahaha
Are you connecting in YUL? (because why else would you be there a day beforehand)

the MLL people have been able to do this for me. Flew DCA-YYZ-YEG on one ticket and YEG-SFO the next morning, and they were able to locate my YEG-SFO record (I didn't provide any details but my name and date of travel because they were working on my YYZ-YEG boarding pass for eUpgrades) and print out my boarding pass

I wasn't checked in yet and they just asked to see my passport (I handed over my NEXUS). It was actually such a surprising experience to have no issues I wrote in and complimented the fella who helped me

Hope that makes sense. I'd chalk it up to AC being lazy if they're refusing to check you in and print out your onward BP
Old Mar 5, 2023, 7:50 am

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by asovse1
Are you connecting in YUL? (because why else would you be there a day beforehand)
Perhaps the OP lives in YUL? Or was visiting there?
Old Mar 5, 2023, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Yup I live near YUL. Anyway I spoke to an air Canada rep who told me that if I had problems checking in, I could go to the airport to get the boarding pass the day before. She put me on hold and confirmed with the airport.
Old Mar 7, 2023, 8:52 am

Yes, go find an in person agent if online check in does not work.
Old Mar 11, 2023, 2:58 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE; Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
It should be doable within 24 hours of departure.
Old Mar 14, 2023, 7:27 am
Original Poster

True enough - I couldn't check in online. My partner and I are on the same booking ref. We both were 'checked in' but only I wasn't issued with a boarding pass. I got an air canada lookalike boarding pass with the words 'this is not a boarding pass' stamped on it and the infamous SSSS at the bottom screen right.

I'll be going down to the airport later to try my luck.
Old Mar 14, 2023, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Confirming no issues with this.
airoli likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 8:19 pm

You should be able to go to the airport the day before your early YUL departure to check in at the counter. As you mentioned, the counters at the US terminal should be open, and if you are not entering the secure area, you should not have any issues checking in for your flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.