Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Does a dual Canadian citizen really require a Canadian passport?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does a dual Canadian citizen really require a Canadian passport?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2023, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by Viper786
Pretty good point. I had a similar question. I'm a dual US/Canadian citizen, I live in the US and my Canadian passport is expiring soon. Probably best to just renew it and not worry about it.
20+ years in your shoes going back and forth monthly. US passport is much better. A lot of difficulty using a Cdn passport to re-enter USA as a dual citizen. But zero trouble ever using a US passport to enter Canada. Even during covid.
asovse1 likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2023, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
20+ years in your shoes going back and forth monthly. US passport is much better. A lot of difficulty using a Cdn passport to re-enter USA as a dual citizen. But zero trouble ever using a US passport to enter Canada. Even during covid.
I live pretty close to a Canadian passport office just across the border so I might just get it renewed in the off chance I ever need it in the next 10 years
Old Mar 31, 2023, 8:27 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
Except that US law requires US citizens to enter/exit on US passports.
Canadian law requires Canadians to enter on Canadian passports, but allows US/Candian dual citizens to enter on US passports..
Old Apr 19, 2023, 7:35 pm

Programs: AC SE 100K, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
I’m wondering if anyone has tried the Special Authorization procedure to get clearance to board a flight?

I’m a dual-citizen of Canada and Switzerland. I try to use my Swiss passport on the outbound flights since Canada is so stingy with the number of pages in the passport book. I do carry my Canadian passport and Nexus for the return flights.

My current (now cancelled) Canadian passport expires in November and I have a fair bit of international travel (mostly work related including China) this summer and fall, so I applied for renewal in person on April 5th after returning from Mexico on April 3rd.

I am scheduled to fly to Brazil on May 6, returning back home on the 18th of May.

I was given a April 21 mail-out date for the new passport and they said it should arrive by the 27th of April. Of course with passport applications being halted, that is unlikely (online status shows it is still in process).

I’m thinking that if the strike continues I could go out on my Swiss passport and then apply for Special Authorization for the return flight as I would meet the criteria.

Any ideas on alternatives to this? I do have a photocopy of the old passport as well as my canceled Canadian one (which wouldn’t work for boarding the plane.)
Old Apr 24, 2023, 10:57 pm

Programs: hahaha
did you figure anything out since you posted? not really experienced in this, but i'll give it a shot because i was doing a bit of reading on the matter lately

i think the only suitable alternative is to contact the embassy in brazil for a temporary passport or whatever if special authorization on May 8 (the earliest you can apply) doesn't seem to be processing. i doubt the staff processing that would be on strike, though i could be interpreting the definition of "essential" staff differently

just note that sometimes when Canada is sleeping (early hours of our morning) the special authorization form goes offline for maintenance

When boarding your flight, you must show
  • a printed or electronic copy of your Special Authorization approval email
  • a proof of Canadian citizenship (including a citizenship certificate, or provincial or territorial birth certificate), if available
Without these documents, you may be denied boarding.
when you get special authorization,
DEFINITELY go early to the airport in Brazil because you'll be showing these unconventional docuemnts to board the flight. Get assurance at check-in that your documents are thoroughly sufficient to pass the gate (have the AC concierge radio the gate or something; though I don't think the gate agents care you're flashing your Swiss passport at that point)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.