Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Random arrival testing

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2022, 7:20 am

Programs: AA EXP; United 1K, Delta, IHG Plat Amb, PE, Marriott/Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by analogueman
Question: what happens if you don’t travel with a device that can access emails and you get selected?
Same. I'm making a quick trip (in Thursday out Saturday), will not have a car or a cell without wifi.
Even if I can get a test, I would never get resutls back before I leave to come home.

Anyone been through Winnipeg?
Old Jul 17, 2022, 10:55 am

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
It seems like the government has managed to find a way to make a bad thing even worse.
Making bad things worse is one of the few things governments are good at.
SF1K, Silver Fox, leoo and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 4:20 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
I am going to ORD via YYZ from YOW on Wed, coming back on Saturday.

Does the government still exempt people who had recent covid from being selection for this later version of random airport off-site covid testing?
I had a covid infection less than 3 months ago.

What is the maximal time interval from the date of the covid infection that one is exempt from covid testing?
6 months?

Do I upload the proof of the covid infection to the Arrive Can app?
My proof is a positive pcr test from ON Dept of Health.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 4:45 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
I am going to ORD via YYZ from YOW on Wed, coming back on Saturday.

Does the government still exempt people who had recent covid from being selection for this later version of random airport off-site covid testing?
I had a covid infection less than 3 months ago.

What is the maximal time interval from the date of the covid infection that one is exempt from covid testing?
6 months?
“Travellers who can show a positive molecular test that was taken between 10 and 180 days before their arrival can be exempt from random testing, but the government won't accept a rapid test result as proof of infection.”
Old Jul 17, 2022, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by aj411
Same. I'm making a quick trip (in Thursday out Saturday), will not have a car or a cell without wifi.
Even if I can get a test, I would never get resutls back before I leave to come home.

Anyone been through Winnipeg?
If you are flying direct to Winnipeg you’ll be fine. The program isn’t in place there. If you are connecting through another airport you may get selected.
aj411 likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 5:23 pm

Programs: aa
This week I'm flying US-YYC-FCO. This won't apply to me since I'm not entering Canada, correct?

Also, what is the mask policy like now onboard and in the airports? A few weeks back I flew CLT-YUL on AA and none of the FAs had on masks, but told us we needed to wear them in the airport. After we landed we saw many other FAs without masks and they told us that the mandate had been dropped. We went through passport control without masks and nobody said a word to us. Is this still the case?
Thanks for the help!
Old Jul 17, 2022, 7:00 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
“Travellers who can show a positive molecular test that was taken between 10 and 180 days before their arrival can be exempt from random testing, but the government won't accept a rapid test result as proof of infection.”

Is the proof of infection uploaded onto the Arrive Can app?
aj411 likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 4:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
I flew into YYZ, got a green sticker, and then went on my merry way. Three days later I get an SMS that I had been selected for "random" testing. By then I was already back in the US. I replied with that info, and that was the end of the matter (I hope). It's rather ferkakte. If I was selected for testing, why didn't I get a pink sticker? The previous time, my wife was selected, given a pink sticker, and did her test right at arrivals in YTZ.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 8:03 am
Original Poster

Sounds like the percentage who are selected is quite high then? ​​​​
Old Jul 18, 2022, 9:59 am

5% I believe.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 12:35 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Our trip is not until December - so I know a lot can change but just checking we are flying LAS-YUL (2 days)-VIE. If we get randomly picked and then test positive I realize we'll have to isolate for 48 hours, but will they let us leave?

It does have this on the current website, but not sure if that is still applicable under the current random test thing. I actually wish we had done a Molecular test because both of us just tested positive but now my husband is already testing negative so assuming that is too late as then we would have fallen under the 180-day recovery exception to random testing.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by SF1K
Our trip is not until December - so I know a lot can change but just checking we are flying LAS-YUL (2 days)-VIE. If we get randomly picked and then test positive I realize we'll have to isolate for 48 hours, but will they let us leave?

It does have this on the current website, but not sure if that is still applicable under the current random test thing. I actually wish we had done a Molecular test because both of us just tested positive but now my husband is already testing negative so assuming that is too late as then we would have fallen under the 180-day recovery exception to random testing.
At this point it’s probably 50/50 whether you’d have your results within 2 days. But in theory you would not be allowed to leave because you’d be told to go to isolation for 10 days (not 48 hours). That said, no one at the airport would know you had tested positive as that’s not information shared with the airline or US customs.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by SF1K

You may always exit Canada. They are trying to protect any virus from spreading within Canada. They don’t care if you exit Canada.

LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 3:18 pm

Hang on, I thought there was a 10 day quarantine if you tested positive? But if you were already due to leave the country before the ten days, you can?

So if I’m only due to stay for five days before flying back to the UK, but I test positive, I can still leave on the fifth day?
Old Jul 18, 2022, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by analogueman
Hang on, I thought there was a 10 day quarantine if you tested positive? But if you were already due to leave the country before the ten days, you can?

So if I’m only due to stay for five days before flying back to the UK, but I test positive, I can still leave on the fifth day?
Why would Canada force someone to stay in Canada against their will? The objective is to prevent disease from entering and spreading within Canada. These rules are primarily geared to Cdn. residents. Not visitors.
LETTERBOY likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.