Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Random arrival testing

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2022, 2:41 pm

Programs: Aeroplan AA
Originally Posted by Covidian98
My understanding is that after being selected for arrival testing, they would keep calling you, every few days, until you provide them with the test results. This is mostly done using automated calls. I believe that eventually a human PHAC rep will call you to check if you already completed the test. It might not be advisable to avoid these calls, or refuse taking the test, as it might result in some fines, although I'm not sure how strict or fullprrof this system is.
I refused the whole thing in December at YYC. Just walked out after being randomly selected. I never got a call...and haven't had a problem at CBSA in three subsequent arrivals. That said, I never answer calls with an unknown or unidentified number, so they may have tried. In any event, I highly doubt there'll ever be a follow up or a fine. They, too, know it's all theatre.
LETTERBOY and leoo like this.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 11:17 am

I never did any if the mandatory tests. Travelled to Canada every month in 2020, 2021 and 2022. Still have 8 blue boxes on my desk. No one has ever said anything.
LETTERBOY, J. Leslie and leoo like this.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does anyone know anything about the mandatory random Covid testing at Canadian LAND borders? I last crossed the USA-Canada border in October, back when they required mandatory pre-arrival testing. I saw that they were still randoming pulling over people for an additional test, and I understand this program is NOT paused. Is there a way to game NOT being selected? Are some border crossings more like to test than others, or are there certain times for testing? I'm crossing again next week and, obviously, I don't want any of this random hassle.

BTW, do any of the Provinces still require visitors to register?
Old Jun 30, 2022, 9:18 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Plat MM
Originally Posted by iahphx
Does anyone know anything about the mandatory random Covid testing at Canadian LAND borders? I last crossed the USA-Canada border in October, back when they required mandatory pre-arrival testing. I saw that they were still randoming pulling over people for an additional test, and I understand this program is NOT paused. Is there a way to game NOT being selected? Are some border crossings more like to test than others, or are there certain times for testing? I'm crossing again next week and, obviously, I don't want any of this random hassle.

BTW, do any of the Provinces still require visitors to register?
From the Government of Canada website:
"In addition, the pause of mandatory random testing will continue at all airports until mid-July, for travellers who qualify as fully vaccinated. The pause was put in place on June 11, 2022, and is allowing airports to focus on streamlining their operations, while the Government of Canada moves forward with its planned move of COVID-19 testing for air travellers outside of airports to select test provider stores, pharmacies, or by virtual appointment. Mandatory random testing continues at land border points of entry, with no changes."

Unfortunately you are correct. We crossed at Lewiston/Queenston last week in a long lineup and about 50% of Canadian plates were pulled over to the yellow light area for secondaries of some sort, and about one in five US plates, based on 30 minutes or so of direct observation. That was the main reason for the back-up. We lucked into a shift change right before our turn and were waved through - possibly just because the holding area was full to overflowing.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 11:15 am

I have been going back and forth over the 3 Buffalo land borders every few weeks and haven’t seen any random testing.
iahphx and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 3:01 am
Original Poster

Any update on when the airport random arrival testing will begin again?

Is it antigen or PCR? We had covid last month so slightly nervous it would still be positive on PCR if that's what it is - but our country stopped testing so we have no proof of our covid from last month.

We arrive in just over a week and hoping to avoid it coming back...
Old Jul 11, 2022, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by Dan1113
Any update on when the airport random arrival testing will begin again?

Is it antigen or PCR? We had covid last month so slightly nervous it would still be positive on PCR if that's what it is - but our country stopped testing so we have no proof of our covid from last month.

We arrive in just over a week and hoping to avoid it coming back...
I believe they only said mid-July. Didn't give an exact date.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 2:56 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 50K/Star Alliance Gold, Accor Gold, base level Marriott/Hyatt/Hilton
Originally Posted by analogueman
I believe they only said mid-July. Didn't give an exact date.
Yeah I can guarantee that’s not happening.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by yyztozag
Yeah I can guarantee that’s not happening.
You don’t think they’ll have it ready in time?
Old Jul 11, 2022, 10:05 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 50K/Star Alliance Gold, Accor Gold, base level Marriott/Hyatt/Hilton
I just don't see it happening at all.

a) taking up time and space for such a useless chore would be completely tonedeaf to the chaotic situation (especially in YYZ)
b) no need for such measures in an endemic phase
c) you would have to be out of your mind to actually leave the airport and go to some testing facility because you were randomly selected. No one is ever going to do this
d) no, they won't have the program ready in time
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 7:11 am

Programs: AC SE, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...ravellers.html

Starting back again next Tuesday.......
Old Jul 14, 2022, 8:41 am

Eye roll.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 9:44 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Don't you see the federal government won't let it go anytime soon? lol
bambinomartino likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 9:51 am

My BA flight for October got cancelled yesterday. I was going to book on another airline. That was until this news came out. Can't afford running the risk of taking a test that comes back positive and having to isolate for 10 days. Wouldn't care, was looking forward to coming. What the hell are you playing at, Canada?
Plumber, LETTERBOY, leoo and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 10:20 am

Programs: Accor, Diamond
Originally Posted by Dan1113
I know this is being temporarily paused, but how likely / how much of this has Canada been doing on arrivals to different places?

I am flying into Montreal mid-July from Morocco and just a bit nervous on the (hopefully unlikely) chance we have something asymptomatic from our travels then. With 3 weeks of expensive travel in Canada (first time visitor), I would hate to lose it all when having to quarantine.

Am I correct from reading in this forum that you are told afterwards and then have to go somewhere to get tested? Or how does it work when you are selected (and how do you know if you are selected)?

Thanks!

That's easy, as much as it pains me just don't come here and spend your hard-earned money in a country that actually welcomes tourists, not in this madhouse.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.